Tony Larussa arrested for DUI

FloPoErich

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite shocked that Mr. Holiest of Holy was arrested. You would think to be asleep at the wheel he'd have to blow way more than a .09. That's barely over the limit. Something just ain't adding up here. I hope it was something other than alcohol, because Tony LaRussa is seriously on a list of guys I would never expect to hear something like this about.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't think he's ever actually been a lawyer, just passed the BAR test or whatever it is. But I could be wrong.

Not that that's relevant.

Stupid, stupid move by TLR. I'll be he's as mad at himself as anybody though.

Jigga brings up an interesting point though. His level of .09 is just barely above the legal limit, and why was he asleep with that amount? The car was still running, he just had his foot on the break. Even weirder.

We'll see I suppose.

He's gonna have a tough time living this one down I'm sure.

I haven't read any of the articles relating to his arrest. However, the result of the blood alcohol test may be skewed by the lapse of time between the arrest and the administration of the test, which can be given up to two hours after the arrest in a number of states.

If you stopped drinking well before the arrest, your body can continue to metabolize the alcohol until the test is administered. Therefore, your BAC on the test can be somewhat lower than it was at the time you were actually stopped because -- in simple terms -- you have been sobering up while waiting for the test.

On the flip side, if you continue drinking right up until the time you get behind the wheel ("one for the road", for example), your BAC can continue to increase as the alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream. In that case, the test would show a higher BAC than that actually present at the time of the stop.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Tony's comments...

La Russa apologizes to Cardinals and fans

By Joe Strauss and Derrick Goold

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

Thursday, Mar. 22 2007

3:10 p.m. update:

JUPITER, Fla. -- Calling his arrest on a driving-under-the-influence charge an

"embarrassment," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa this afternoon apologized to

"anyone who is close to me, members of the Cardinals organization, our fans."

"I regret it, I take responsibility," La Russa said in a press conference after

the Cardinals' exhibition game today. "And I?m not sure there is anything else

I can say."

La Russa said that "what seems to make sense to me is that a person's goal

(should be) for everyone who is close to them and the organization that he's a

part of to feel good about them personally and professionally. That's been my

goal as long as I can remember and the last 11-plus years with the Cardinals.

"Last night's situation is the opposite of feeling good. It was an

embarrassment."

He added later when asked about the rousing reception fans gave him at today's

game: "I guess that?s because over the years you?ve done things to (earn it)

and you don?t want to have it go in the other direction. That?s a couple steps

(backward) last night."

Mr. Holier-than-thou. I love it.

How'd he get that description anyways? He's never given off that type of feeling to me.

As for an update, not a lot is confirmed, but Tony is a Red Wine drinker, and doesn't drink much other alcohol. Sounds like he probably had some at a late dinner, a little more than he expected, and drove home. The combination of wine and exhaustion from his duties is probably why he fell asleep. I can't imagine a .09 causing someone to pass out.

Anyways, this isn't defense, because it's still breaking the law. It's just very unlikely that he was ought at a bar drinking a lot of beers to get drunk and then decided to drive home.

I accept his apology. It sounds heartfelt. He just needs to make sure it doesn't happen again, and if possible, use his position of power to educate others.

What the hell is going on with those in Major League Baseball? If it's a choice between steroids and DUI, I say inject away.

As for La Russa, fire him.

Really?

For one mistake over a long life of doing a lot of good? For having a little bit more wine than he thought he had? For a level of BAC that wasn't illegal 5 years ago?

And people call La Russa holier than thou.

And no, I wouldn't feel any different if this was any other manager.

Seems to me people want to derail the lives of those who make one out of character mistake. But those people who keep making the same mistake over and over again get continual slaps on the wrist and continue to live the same bum, drunken life they chose.

Kind of off-topic, but:

1. Can you still be arrested for a DUI if all you do is keep driving up and down your own driveway?

2. Can you be pulled over for doing 80 MPH in your own driveway?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Kind of off-topic, but:

1. Can you still be arrested for a DUI if all you do is keep driving up and down your own driveway?

2. Can you be pulled over for doing 80 MPH in your own driveway?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I think as long as you're in the driver's seat you can be charged. The car doesn't even have to be running

What the hell is going on with those in Major League Baseball? If it's a choice between steroids and DUI, I say inject away.

Really?

For one mistake over a long life of doing a lot of good? For having a little bit more wine than he thought he had? For a level of BAC that wasn't illegal 5 years ago?

Seems to me people want to derail the lives of those who make one out of character mistake. But those people who keep making the same mistake over and over again get continual slaps on the wrist and continue to live the same bum, drunken life they chose.

Like you I have no idea how La Russa got the "holier than thou" reputation.

He should be fired. He's a Major League manager. He's suppose to be the leader of a team, a team that's defending their status as world champions. He's suppose to know better then this, he's suppose to be the one setting an example for his players.

Instead he endangers not only his own life, but the life of every other motorist that happened to be driving that night.

He needs to be let go. The Cardinals deserve a manager who's better then this, they don't need someone who endangers the lives of others simply because they can't control their own impulses.

Really?

Like you I have no idea how La Russa got the "holier than thou" reputation.

He should be fired. He's a Major League manager. He's suppose to be the leader of a team, a team that's defending their status as world champions. He's suppose to know better then this, he's suppose to be the one setting an example for his players.

Instead he endangers not only his own life, but the life of every other motorist that happened to be driving that night.

He needs to be let go. The Cardinals deserve a manager who's better then this, they don't need someone who endangers the lives of others simply because they can't control their own impulses.

How about they go after Tommy Lasorda? :D

capt.fljj10403112214.aptopix_nationals_dodgers_spring_baseball_fljj104.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

So then your assumption is that this one event is not an anomoly and represents how La Russa lives and will continue to live his life.

I don't think that assumption could be more wrong.

That's why I think you let La Russa take the embarrassment this has brough him (as well as others). Let him go through and take what the legal system gives. And then I think you accept his apology and trust him that it won't happen again, because everything else in the way he's lived his life points to that conclusion.

Archived