Best and Worst NBA alternate jerseys

elliott

It seems as though almost every team has one now, so I decided to do this:

3 Best:

Miami Heat: Loving the red, it just looks good on the court.

Denver Nuggets: The script is a little weak, but the dark and light blue look great together.

Phoenix Suns: Easily the best orange jersey in the league.

3 Worst:

Minnesota Timberwolves: The black speaks for itself - it just looks bad.

Washington Wizards: I HATE this jersey! If any teams try to pull off different color shorts in the future, I hope it looks better than these!

Golden State Warriors: It hurts my eyes...

Notables:

Good: Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks

Not so good: Sacremento Kings, LA Clippers

Possible good ones for the future:

Memphis Grizzlies: A light blue one would be nice.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll leave alternate throwbacks out of the mix.

I agree on the Heat and Nuggets. I'm not a big fan of the suns orange. Something about the "PHX" and gray side panels don't do it for me.

I agree on the worst unis, those look real bad. I also think the Sonics yellow looks pretty nasty. I don't think Chicago's black looks that bad, but after 10 years I still can't get used to it.

I like Philly's red alts, NJ's isn't bad but I preferred the gray. Detroit's looks nice, Portland's not so much.

The Suns uniforms in general really bug the crap out of me. I love the color scheme and the primary logo, but absolutely HATE the uniform style, and especially that stupid oval behind the front numbers.

Lots of inconsistency going on there. (My pet peeve.)

Here's some trivia most people don't realize:

The Heat's alternates are a darker Red than the Red used in the logo and the home and road uniforms.

They actually call those alts Maroon.

Just as a suggestion, while I know it's possible for people to go about and search to find them, I always like it better when pictures of the shirts/logos critiqued are provided within a post, either directly in the post or as a link.

Generally speaking I love ALTs, but I am not up to speed on NBAs.

The Suns jerseys bug me because of the ridiculously wide side panels. I mean honestly.

I actually like the Wizards and Mavs alts. I hate the Kings'. And the Nets' red jersey is pretty dumb, in my opinion.

Three best:

Golden State Warriors-Should be the team's primary road jersey.

Cleveland Cavaliers-Brilliant mix of past and present identities.

Atlanta Hawks-For some unknown reason I love everything about this alt. Maybe it's the way they proportioned the black and red.

favNBAaltjerseys.png

Three worst:

Sacramento Kings-they just pulled gold out of their a$$. On top of that the striping bugs me.

Detroit Pistons-On its own it's a decent jersey, but for some reason the Pistons in red doesn't doesn't seem right to me.

Minnesota Timberwolves-The alternate needs to be green, the black looks lifeless.

worstNBAalts.png

What I miss about the Warriors jerseys was the lightning bolt going down the sides, for once an intimidating GSW jersey. In fact, I'll take that orange any day. The Clippers alternate jersey pays homage (or lack thereof) their road reds in the 80's when the front read "Los Angeles." The Trail Blazers wore red as the road color in the early 80's so I'm definitetly feeling that one. Phila's alternate is just awesome and keep it as such, but return blue as a road color. Their black, along with Minnesota's is blegh. This really should have been a run-on sentence, Dick Stockton style

My favorite current alternates:

Bobcats--the cadet blue (?) is a big improvement over that hideous orange.

Cavaliers--the dark blue is classy with the gold and wine borders.

Sixers--The Phila. red jersey--much better than their black unis.

The Nuggets, Mavs and Celtics are all pretty neat.

Ones I don't like

Warriors--should go back to the old blue and gold full-time and toss the "superhero."

Nets--red unis. Ugh.

Celtics--the black jerseys with green letters and numbers are just horrid.

And I agree, the Bucks green "John Deere" uniforms were pretty revolting.

Let's be clear about this - because I've seen this uni referred this way before - the Celtics' alts are GREEN with BLACK lettering...not the other way around:

BostonCeltics_AUN_2007_SOL.gif

Let's be clear about this - because I've seen this uni referred this way before - the Celtics' alts are GREEN with BLACK lettering...not the other way around:

I was just gonna say this. And on a related note, I really like the Celtics' St. Patty's day unis (with gold lettering). I really wish that was their alt instead of the black.

B000EVUJ42.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._AA231_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58675590_.jpg

I really enjoy the Sonics yellow jerseys, but cannot stand the Hornets yellows. The hornets jersey is too bright and for me does not relate back to their team identity enough. I know they worked in gold when they moved to NOLA, but the Hornets are teal and purple to me.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived