Report: Tubby Smith leaving UK, going to University of Minnesota

tajmccall

Hasnt been covered in print, but for the past half-hour or so they have been discussing the planned news conference later to announce Tubby Smith as the new University of Minnesota Men's Basketball coach.

As a gophers fan...hell f'n yes.

...oddly i think some Kentucky fans may say the same thing.

Im sad to see Tubby leave Kentucky honestly...but he deserved better, because he done so much for that program down there but wasnt getting alumni or fan base support. Proud for Tubby for doing what he had to do.

Eh, good for him.

He was too successful to have to endure that level of scrutiny at UK every year. The man won a title, ran a good program that didn't run afoul of the NCAA, and he won 25 games a year. What more could you ask for? I don't think he was ever going to get a fair shake, and Minnesota may be a good fit. His name has enough presence to lure some choice recruits up there, and the Big Ten could be his for the taking in a couple years.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Minnesota basketball is now known for more than having a friggin dugout for a bench.

As for Kentucky...just another case of them having too too too high expectations and running someone out because they didn't meet them for 1 1/2 seasons.

Wow, Tubby Smith and Steve Alford in the same day.

What's next Bob Huggins to Michigan? Wah?

J/K

From a rumor i've been hearing Michigan has been looking at Tony Bennett from Washington State and Xavier's Sean Smith

If Michigan want's Bennett from Waz-Spew, they can have him. Another year of his Kittens doing better then U-Dub would make me go crazy.

Back on the topic: This doesn't shock me. Tubby did well early on at Kentucky, but he fell to earth and couldn't reach the level the fans have expected for Kentucky hoops. Now, he goes to Minnesota where they can be at least a good team next season. Heck, if the right pieces fall into place, you may seen the Gophers in the NCAA Tourny or, more likely, the NIT.

I would have thought Tubby would go to Michigan, but he should still do good in Minnesota, while Kentucky will be kicking themselves for letting Tubby go.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think both programs will be fine.

UK can get the go-getter hot coach it craves and Tubby can go off into the basketball hinterland, not worry about bringing in any top recruits and not worry about contending for a Final Four every year. A win-win for both parties.

Archived