NCAA regionals -- identical courts?

SteveR

It makes since because it is not as if they are losing money after all. Since one of the regional sites get the Final Four the following year, I would not be surprised that after three games, the floor is sanded down, repainted and finished for the next years Final Four. If you are a facility title sponsor, your name will be on the baseline for 50% of the game, so they still get the "credit". Store then somehwere and then ship as you need them, but change the interlocking panels for the facility name each year to save costs. Then they can refinish the other three floors about every 4th year.

The Womens regionals will not have a uniform court. The Fresno regional will be using the court of Fresno State.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain to me why the Rutgers logo is at the Meadowlands court when it's the home arena of Seton Hall. How is Rutgers the host? Is it because Seton Hall is probably moving to the Prudential Center next year and this is the NJSEA's way of screwing them before leaving?

Can someone explain to me why the Rutgers logo is at the Meadowlands court when it's the home arena of Seton Hall. How is Rutgers the host? Is it because Seton Hall is probably moving to the Prudential Center next year and this is the NJSEA's way of screwing them before leaving?

It may be Rutgers volunteered or the NCAA wanted Rutgers to do it.

Ape.

Ape.

Ape, you're correct on this, besides Seton Hall has served as the host school before(Last time: 2004). Often in an area where there are multiple D-I teams, they will often rotate the hosting duties.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Ape.

Ape, you're correct on this, besides Seton Hall has served as the host school before(Last time: 2004). Often in an area where there are multiple D-I teams, they will often rotate the hosting duties.

But there aren't multiple teams that play there. Seton Hall is the only team to play there home games there. Rutgers plays in their own venue on Campus. Like I said before this probably has something to do with Seton Hall leaving the Meadowlands.

Ape.

But there aren't multiple teams that play there. Seton Hall is the only team to play there home games there. Rutgers plays in their own venue on Campus. Like I said before this probably has something to do with Seton Hall leaving the Meadowlands.
Has nothing to do with multiple teams. Rutgers is considered the host of it because they are whom the NCAA is paying the $100,000 or so to make the logistical arrangements for the teams to come there. They volunteered for it, I assume, and thus, they held it there. Remember, the schools are always looking for ways to make money.

Note though that Seton Hall still could not have played there had they made the tournament because of the 3 games rule.

As another comparison, look at when Philadelphia next hosts -- St. Joseph's will be hosting it, even though the only college hoops team that regularly plays at the Wachovia Center is Villanova.

LvZYtbZ.png

Washington State had their logo on the Spokane court even though the campus is in Pullman and Gonzaga is in Spokane. I think it's just whoever volunteers or is asked to be a home court.

It really doesn't matter because if the NCAA wants a venue they'll find a school to "host" it no matter how far away it is.

Case in point, when the Frozen Four will be held in the St. Pete Forum the "host" school is the University of Alabama-Huntsville, a full 670 Miles away.

I Think Uniform Courts are stupid. I like seeing what the different courts are going to look like. Its one of the thrills of the tournament for me. I think whoever the host school is the should keep the actual court or make a replica if not held on campus. Similar to when its held at the Metrodome.

moss_moon.gif

I dont have a problem with the courts. Just wish they were different color at each site. I wonder if they are gonna repaint them every year or just tape over the arena and city on the base line.

I'm assuming that every arena has a basketball court somewhere in the building. Over the course of the arenas history I'm sure basketball is going to be played there at some point if not many times and and a court will be necessary. It might be only a generic court with the arena's logo on it but they probably have it. Last winter I was at the Nassau Coliseum for the Globetrotters and they played on a generic court like I said. It probably could be made nicer with some decals if the Coliseum ever hosted any big basketball events.

yankees-1.png

The last time the NCAAs had early games at the ol' Capital Center in Landover, Md., GEORGE MASON was the host instiution, to the point where they trucked their floor over from Va. to use there, instead of the one regularly used there.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I read in the Sports Business Journal that part of the package for players participating in the final four was a piece of the court...huh.

When Michigan State won in 2000, they exercised their option to buy the floor they won the title game on and brought it back to their home arena (repainted and re-branded).

1zgyd8w.jpg

I read in the Sports Business Journal that part of the package for players participating in the final four was a piece of the court...huh.

When Michigan State won in 2000, they exercised their option to buy the floor they won the title game on and brought it back to their home arena (repainted and re-branded).

I'd need to research this further, but I am pretty sure most recent champions have bought the floor they won their title on. I brought this up earlier in the thread, and it was correctly reported [EDIT: big thank you, fufkin] that the winning school must pay for the floor, but the cost of the floor is easily made up. If the school chooses to redesign the winning floor for use at their home gym (like Michigan State, 2000), they can cut up the old Breslin Center floor and sell it off in chunks to alums and fans who want a piece of East Lansing in their homes. On the other hand, the school can simply take the winning floor (UNC, 2005 - but I KNOW others have gone this route, while MSU is the only example of the former that I know of), hack it up and sell THAT winning floor off to alums and fans. (UNC also did this when they replaced the floor at Carmichael Auditorium a few years back, not connected to any particular championship, but rather water damage.) Either way, I'm willing to bet the winning school does no worse than break even, and probably takes in a little extra cash as a result of selling off a floor.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

As the old saying goes, nothing in this world is free. The winning team has the option to BUY the Final Four floor.

Exactly. I know Florida bought last year's court. I can't remember the price, but they use it as their home surface.

VmWIn6B.png

Most of the time those "pieces of court" that are sold from Final Fours are not pieces of the actual court, but are instead wood pieces made of a similiar style as a court piece would be and are cut to look like they were actual pieces of the floor. Every team that makes the Final Four (men's and women's) gets about 1,000 pieces to give to the team, staff, boosters, etc. Some schools order extra and sell them to the public in a rather shady fashion as "Final Four Court pieces," which is technically accurate, but they are not pieces of the actual competition floor.

Most of the time those "pieces of court" that are sold from Final Fours are not pieces of the actual court, but are instead wood pieces made of a similiar style as a court piece would be and are cut to look like they were actual pieces of the floor. Every team that makes the Final Four (men's and women's) gets about 1,000 pieces to give to the team, staff, boosters, etc. Some schools order extra and sell them to the public in a rather shady fashion as "Final Four Court pieces," which is technically accurate, but they are not pieces of the actual competition floor.

Don't ruin this chunk of wood hanging on my wall for me. I have made that leap of faith that it really was taken from the area on the floor as marked by a red "X" on the back of the mounting frame. And dammit, I'm sticking to that. ^_^

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Any NCAA event hosted at the meadowlands has always been hosted by Rutgers. I don't know if it's because they are closer, or if there are geographical boundries or whatever, but eventhough Seton Hall plays some of its games at the Meadowlands, any NCAA sanctioned event is "hosted" by Rutgers

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Any NCAA event hosted at the meadowlands has always been hosted by Rutgers. I don't know if it's because they are closer, or if there are geographical boundries or whatever, but eventhough Seton Hall plays some of its games at the Meadowlands, any NCAA sanctioned event is "hosted" by Rutgers

Actually, the 1999 East Regional at the Meadowlands was hosted by Seton Hall. All other times the tournament has been there was hosted by Rutgers (all I remember).

Don't ruin this chunk of wood hanging on my wall for me. I have made that leap of faith that it really was taken from the area on the floor as marked by a red "X" on the back of the mounting frame. And dammit, I'm sticking to that. ^_^

I'm sure the answer is in the fine print, just like with those jersey cards--was it "game worn"? "Event worn"? "Photo-shoot worn"?

I know someone who has a piece of the old Carrier Dome roof. I personally can't wait to get my hands on some of the steel from Mellon Arena's roof (I've already got a coaster-sized piece of "game used" plexiglass!).

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived