heart of the city's financial district.

The jersey is manufactured by adidas and features distinctly European

styling. Toronto FC's home jersey is red with white, grey and dark onyx trim

and their away jersey is grey with dark onyx and red trim. The distinctive

team patch is positioned above the left breast while the familiar logo and

roundel of the team's sponsor, BMO (pronounced bee-mo), is displayed across

the chest.

Toronto FC becomes the third team in MLS to introduce a sponsor jersey

behind the New York Red Bulls and Real Salt Lake.

"Having a prominent jersey sponsor is unique to soccer teams around the

world and keeps with the tradition of the sport," said Tom Anselmi, Executive

Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer of Maple Leaf Sports &

Entertainment. "We're excited to extend our relationship with BMO Financial

Group and to support them in exposing their services to a wider audience in

Canada and beyond. BMO is a great Canadian brand and a strong supporter of

sport and soccer."

"Soccer represents a great opportunity for us to deepen our relationships

with customers and communities in Toronto and indeed right across Canada,"

said Frank Techar, President and Chief Executive Officer, Personal and

Commercial Banking Canada, BMO Financial Group. "We are thrilled that as an

integral part of the jersey design, the BMO brand is prominently displayed so

that our enthusiastic and ongoing support for the world's most popular sport

will be plainly in sight at every game at BMO Field and Major League Soccer

stadiums right across North America."

The extensive partnership between BMO Financial Group and Toronto FC

includes naming rights for the National Soccer Stadium, sponsorship of Toronto

FC, a corporate suite and sponsorship of Play Soccer, a grassroots soccer

program developed by the Ontario Soccer Association that will further grow the

sport among youth. BMO is also a partnering sponsor of the Toronto Maple Leafs

and the Toronto Raptors.

Toronto FC joined Major League Soccer in 2006 as its 13th team and the

first outside the United States. Toronto FC will play its first home game at

the new 20,000 seat BMO Field at Exhibition Place on April 28, 2007.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...7/23/c5958.html

1zqy8ok.gif

The BMO circle logo that is underneath the Toronto FC patch just looks odd to me.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

bank of montreal - on a toronto team's shirt - anyone else sense the irony there?

Its like the The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Arena in Buffalo or the Royal Bank of Canada Center in Raleigh.

Does Buffalo have a deep-seated civic and cultural rivalry with Hong Kong or Shanghai we don't know about? :P

Yes, my first thought about a Montreal bank sponsoring a Toronto team was the inherent irony of the situation. Score one for Quebec there.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

bank of montreal - on a toronto team's shirt - anyone else sense the irony there?

Its like the The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Arena in Buffalo or the Royal Bank of Canada Center in Raleigh.

or the Toronto-Dominion Banknorth Garden in Boston, and the one that used to be in Orlando... craziness all over the place

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Does Buffalo have a deep-seated civic and cultural rivalry with Hong Kong or Shanghai we don't know about? :P

Yes, my first thought about a Montreal bank sponsoring a Toronto team was the inherent irony of the situation. Score one for Quebec there.

To be fair to Toronto, the Bank of Montreal is now headquartered in Toronto.

1zqy8ok.gif

And it's HQ is the tallest building in Toronto, as well as Canada

first_canadian_place.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

OUCH! Score one for Ontario.

It's Quebec's own fault. All the corporations left for Ontario after the "quiet revolution" nonsense.

On topic - I'm not crazy about the kits. The wavy lines on the jerseys just don't jibe.

*nod* I agree. This is a really busy shirt, with wavy curves along the side, and straight piping along the shoulders. Stripes going up, stripes going across, with a bank logo on the same side as the crest, but larger. The crest is angular, the bank logo is round. The addias logo is diagonal and triangular.

This jersey is all over the place, it's like wearing polka-dots with stripes. Your eyes are confused and ultimately ask politely for you to look away.

I am disappointed.

Can't remember when BofM's name became BMO, but it was fairly recently in that whole rebranding phase where Banks don't want to be seen as bankers anymore.

What bothers me the most about the BMO sponsorship on the shirt is that they're not using the full coloured logo. Their main colour is still blue.

I know it's an attempot to avoid clashing with the uniforms that have no blue at all on them, but to me it looks like the cheap house league sponsored screenprint.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Can't remember when BofM's name became BMO, but it was fairly recently in that whole rebranding phase where Banks don't want to be seen as bankers anymore.

I believe it has to do with their enterance to the American and International Markets. Toronto Dominion is TD Banknorth, Royal Bank is RBC Centura, Bank of Nova Scotia is Scotiabank, Bank of Montreal is BMO.

I guess they figured the Canadian names wouldn't help them much in markets outside of Canada.

1zqy8ok.gif

Or how about France winning the "Royal Bank of Scotland" Six Nations?

or Manchester United being equipped by the AMERICAN Insurance Group.

Or Arsenal, Paris-St. Germaine, and Hamburg SV sponsored by Emirates Airlines; or Chelsea sponsored by Samsung; or Valencia CF sponsored by Toyota

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I guess they figured the Canadian names wouldn't help them much in markets outside of Canada.

And let's face it, given the corruption and monopolistic reputation of the Canadian banking industry, this is a good move. :)

I also find it interesting that my appeal of a company affects my judgment of a jersey. For example, I thought that Dreamcast was an interesting sponsor, and I've always liked the Arsenal jersey with the Dreamcast sponsorship.

The new "Emirates" sponsor, is just something I am not comfortable with. So I have not, and will not buy an Arsenal jersey until the sponsors change. Has anyone else made similar decisions?

And where is the saturation point I wonder? Right now, there doesn't appear to be one.

And let's face it, given the corruption and monopolistic reputation of the Canadian banking industry, this is a good move. :)

I also find it interesting that my appeal of a company affects my judgment of a jersey. For example, I thought that Dreamcast was an interesting sponsor, and I've always liked the Arsenal jersey with the Dreamcast sponsorship.

The new "Emirates" sponsor, is just something I am not comfortable with. So I have not, and will not buy an Arsenal jersey until the sponsors change. Has anyone else made similar decisions?

And where is the saturation point I wonder? Right now, there doesn't appear to be one.

Yes, I really, really wanted an Arsenal jersey when Sega Dreamcast was the sponsor solely because I am a fan of Sega, not because of soccer or Arsenal at all!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Archived