Randolph Morris signs with Knicks.

McCall

Reported on ESPN.com today.

Kentucky Center Randolph Morris Signs with Knicks

It says he declared as a freshman and went undrafted. But I thought unless you withdraw your name a week, 10 days, or whatever the length of the time before the draft, you couldn't return to school, even if you went undrafted. This is a little odd to me.

He never signed an agent. So by not having an agent and not being drafted, he never lost his eligibility.

He was young and stupid and thought he'd be an NBA player. Wasn't. And then got lucky that he ended up still having eligibility after the fact.

Also though, by going through the draft, he officially became an NBA free agent. He could have signed with a team any time this year.

Also though, by going through the draft, he officially became an NBA free agent. He could have signed with a team any time this year.

DaCa-Johnny%20Carson.jpg

I did not know that.

That really is quite an interesting situation, though.

This loop hole must be closed otherwise you will see others try and turn the NBA draft into chaos.

Man, you love the doom and gloom stuff, huh?

I think it's great. Seems that as of late, every time there's a player/league collective bargaining negotiation, the players lose. It's nice to see those guys get a little bit back.

I doubt we'll start seeing a bunch of players try the draft without an agent just to go back a year later. The guaranteed lottery guys are better suited by having an agent through the draft process -- it doesn't make sense to go it alone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Say Greg Oden or Kevin Durrant do this. They can go to the highest bidder and throw off the whole purpose of the draft to make the bad teams better.

Tank, if I'm correct in the way I'm understanding the situation, the only way Morris is able to do this is because he went undrafted. A talent like Oden or Durant would never go undrafted, thus they'd have to report to the team that drafts them as usual - or, in the worst case scenario, pull a Stevie Franchise and demand a trade.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Say Greg Oden or Kevin Durrant do this. They can go to the highest bidder and throw off the whole purpose of the draft to make the bad teams better.

Tank, if I'm correct in the way I'm understanding the situation, the only way Morris is able to do this is because he went undrafted. A talent like Oden or Durant would never go undrafted, thus they'd have to report to the team that drafts them as usual - or, in the worst case scenario, pull a Stevie Franchise and demand a trade.

Star's dead on, Tank. The only way this can happen to a player is if he:

1. declares for the draft before using up his eligibility;

2. refuses to sign with an agent;

3. goes undrafted;

4. returns to school instead of going to the D-League or abroad.

There's no way on Earth that Oden or Durant would get through the first 4 picks this year, let alone both rounds of the draft. And if anything, this can only help some of these guys. They get their name out there, but they get to go back to school, work on their game and their education on their full ride, and when someone thinks they're ready, they can move to the next level. I'd love to see the NBA adopt a system like MLB, where you can be drafted out of high school, and a team keeps your rights for 3 years before you can go back into the draft. By then, a drafted 18-year old could be 21 and would've either come of age in the D-league or would have gotten 3 valuable years of the college experience (on and off the court, in and out of the classroom) before trying to take the next step.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

That is a good idea this way if they don't want to go to that team they go to college 3 years. Maybe extend the NBA draft to 3 rounds with the last round being for these reserve players

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is where I'd propose a change in plans.

First off, reduce the draft age to 18 again.

Second off, expand the draft to five rounds.

Third, no longer make it necessary for a player to declare for the draft. Any player may be drafted, regardless of his age or skill level, but the team holds his rights for five seasons.

LvZYtbZ.png

Third, no longer make it necessary for a player to declare for the draft. Any player may be drafted, regardless of his age or skill level, but the team holds his rights for five seasons.

I like where you're heading, but why not take it a step further?

GET RID OF THE DRAFT.

If you have cap space, you can sign young talent. If you don't, you can offer the MLE to either a rookie or a veteran. Now that we're in the age of salary caps, one team can't sign unlimited talent, so the draft really doesn't serve a purpose.

Abolishing the draft would have several benefits:

1) Allow college stars to play closer to home if they chose to, sparking fan interest

2) Allow bad teams to get better faster by clearing out their salary cap and signing more young talent

3) Give rookies a shot at the same labor market as the rest of the NBA

4) Allow teams to escape being "stuck in the middle" - good enough to make the playoffs most years and get a crappy draft pick, but bad enough not to have a good shot at the finals (e.g. Nets, Wizards, Nuggets)

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

GET RID OF THE DRAFT.

If you have cap space, you can sign young talent. If you don't, you can offer the MLE to either a rookie or a veteran. Now that we're in the age of salary caps, one team can't sign unlimited talent, so the draft really doesn't serve a purpose.

1) Allow college stars to play closer to home if they chose to, sparking fan interest

2) Allow bad teams to get better faster by clearing out their salary cap and signing more young talent

4) Allow teams to escape being "stuck in the middle" - good enough to make the playoffs most years and get a crappy draft pick, but bad enough not to have a good shot at the finals (e.g. Nets, Wizards, Nuggets)

If you eliminate the draft altogether, the bad teams are only gonna get worse cuz none of the good rookies would sign there. They'd all wanna go to New York, LA, Miami, the bigger more spotlighted cities, or the better teams. Smaller Market or lower ranking teams wouldn't have a shot. You cannot get rid of the draft in any sport. It's what makes sports remotely even.

I really think the NBA age should be 21 or like the NFL which is 3 years removed from your last high school game, I think. Someone can clarify on that part. Although I could go with the "drafted out of High School and hold rights for 3-5 years." I'm just tired of seeing guys go straight from high school to the pros. Some work out, some don't. And those who don't make it usually end up worse than those who do make it end up better. If you can follow that. They have no college education. They were forced to grow up faster than they are able to. You have people throwing money at them building them up on hype on themselves, and then if they fail, they're left to fall flat on there faces all by themselves. I think college is not only essential to these guys for on court experience, but also for life experience.

He decleared for the draft two years in a row. You can't declare a third time which makes him a free agent. There people is a an unusual :wacko::wacko: loophole!

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

GET RID OF THE DRAFT.

If you eliminate the draft altogether, the bad teams are only gonna get worse cuz none of the good rookies would sign there. They'd all wanna go to New York, LA, Miami, the bigger more spotlighted cities, or the better teams. Smaller Market or lower ranking teams wouldn't have a shot. You cannot get rid of the draft in any sport. It's what makes sports remotely even.

I really think the NBA age should be 21 or like the NFL which is 3 years removed from your last high school game, I think. Someone can clarify on that part. Although I could go with the "drafted out of High School and hold rights for 3-5 years." I'm just tired of seeing guys go straight from high school to the pros. Some work out, some don't. And those who don't make it usually end up worse than those who do make it end up better. If you can follow that. They have no college education. They were forced to grow up faster than they are able to. You have people throwing money at them building them up on hype on themselves, and then if they fail, they're left to fall flat on there faces all by themselves. I think college is not only essential to these guys for on court experience, but also for life experience.

If you get rid of the draft, players would sign with whoever offers them the most money. Sure, the tiebreaker might be how good the team is, but if I'm Kevin Durant, I'm going to sign a 5 yr, $70 mil contract with the Bobcats over signing a MLE contract with the Mavs. Not only that, but a team like the Bobcats, with tons of cap room, could conceivably sign Oden and Durant to max contracts and be instantly respectable - something impossible under the current system.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

GET RID OF THE DRAFT.

What do you mean it doesn't serve a purpose since you can't sign unlimited talent? Teams can always sign their draft picks to rookie scale contracts, whether it puts them over the cap or not.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived