Canada Soccer updates logo

steve61

Wow. I glanced at the tv in the pub two nights ago and there was no sound, but they were showing the logo on the screen for a couple seconds and I could not understand why. Now I know - FONT CHANGE!

Nothing says we're proud to be ranked #103 in the world than a font change on the logo! GO CANADA!

That is pretty weak. They had a logo contest a while back, and I threw my hat in the ring. I heard from them once after that, and even then they were pretty non-committal. To be fair, they also needed to hire a men's national team coach and a technical director, so maybe the logo got kind of put on the back burner.

At the same press conference where they unveiled this logo, the CSA also brought out a black jersey that the U-20 men's team will wear against Scotland today (I think). Not sure if there are any photos, but a video can be found at TheScore.ca.

I hate how similar this logo is too the Canadian Basketball team...I'm very disapointed that they didnt change it up with anything but a font.

Canada-Basketball.jpg

vs.

CanadaScotland_logos.jpg

I was about to say that you were crazy, but I can kind of see where you're coming from.

Still, Canada Basketball logo >>>>> Canada Soccer logo.

I hate how similar this logo is too the Canadian Basketball team...I'm very disapointed that they didnt change it up with anything but a font.

Canada-Basketball.jpg

vs.

CanadaScotland_logos.jpg

I was about to say that you were crazy, but I can kind of see where you're coming from.

Still, Canada Basketball logo >>>>> Canada Soccer logo.

I have a question for the more experienced designers on the board. Can anyone tell me why the colour red often appears to be multi-toned in certain graphic images. The ones above are examples of the magic marker effect that I'm talking about. Often (but not always) when I see red images (ie. Canadian Flag) on my PC, the red appears to have dark splotches throughout what should be a smooth and even coloured image.

This has been bugging me for a while and I figure that somebody here can clue me in.

Thanks

I have a question for the more experienced designers on the board. Can anyone tell me why the colour red often appears to be multi-toned in certain graphic images. The ones above are examples of the magic marker effect that I'm talking about. Often (but not always) when I see red images (ie. Canadian Flag) on my PC, the red appears to have dark splotches throughout what should be a smooth and even coloured image.

This has been bugging me for a while and I figure that somebody here can clue me in.

Thanks

More than likely the file format. Both of these files are saved as JPEGs, which compress the file information a lot more than other formats, i.e. GIFs or PNGs. That compression sometimes leads to stuff like what you're seeing. JPEGs are good for saving still-life photos, but not so hot for graphic stuff like this. If you ask anyone around here, they'll tell you to save concepts and stuff like that as GIFs or PNGs, not JPEGs.

I sense a concept coming along! (if you didn't catch that, I'm going to do a canada soccer concept)

I caught an itch to make one too. But my graphic skills aren't as 1337 as most around here. Still, that's how ugly it was. I could do a concept right now and it'd be better and more suited for today.

Thanks

More than likely the file format. Both of these files are saved as JPEGs, which compress the file information a lot more than other formats, i.e. GIFs or PNGs. That compression sometimes leads to stuff like what you're seeing. JPEGs are good for saving still-life photos, but not so hot for graphic stuff like this. If you ask anyone around here, they'll tell you to save concepts and stuff like that as GIFs or PNGs, not JPEGs.

Thanks, much appreciated.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived