Should pete rose be reinstated?

habsfannova

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some say confessing will open the door. I personally doint care he deserved to be punished and banned from baseball when he was, but I thionk the punnishment should have only been 10 years and its now time for him to be reinstated.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If there is proof he bet on games while he was a player-manager, and not just a manager, then keep him out. If it was just while he was a manager, he should be in the Hall of Fame as a PLAYER.

He should just admit he did it and apologize for it. If he did this years ago he'd be in Cooperstown right now.

Of course, if he bet against his own team while he was in control of it, he should accept his lifetime ban as punishment for compromising the integrity of the game. It's one thing to cheat to make yourself better (corking the bat, scuffing the ball). At least those ways one person is involved, and they do it to try to get the team to win or boost personal stats. To possibly throw a game (or not put in the best lineups) to win money is reprehensible.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

is that really you SHB?  back onto the topic, yes pete rose should be reinstated, and he should've been in the HoF  a long time ago.  Remember, the Hall is for what you did ON the field, not off it, even if it was placing bets.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

If Rose gets in Shoeless Joe should get in. He didn't even do anything wrong, and he got a lifetime ban.

Now he's dead, his lifetime is over, so why the fu*k isn't he in?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I agree Rose should be in and I also agree Shoeless Joe shoiudl be in he was illiterate and didn't know what was going on he took money but had a good World Series.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i'll go ahead and be in the minority on this one.....i say 'hell no'...pete did much worse than shoeless joe, and joe will never be reinstated.....pete has lied about it for almost 20 years now and he's finally gonna come clean? please. what kind of message does this send to people? lie, lie, lie then finally admit what you've done so you can get what you want. this just shows what a plopty hero worshipping society we live in. it also shows how terrible for baseball bud selig is. just to consider reinstating rose does a great injustice to bart giamatti (who was the best comissioner baseball has had in my lifetime) to take away the toughest and bravest decision he probably ever had to make. that decision was so tough on giamatti, who so loved this game, he died shortly after banning rose (i'm sure the stress of that whole fiasco had something to do with it). hell, bud probably would have let the collusion problem of the mid to late eighties go on if he had the chance....come to think of it, wasn't he part of that problem?

back on my original tangent....no, rose should never be let back in the game, whether it be an active manager, HOF member, or just a figurehead that gets people to the gates.

ridiculous.

giamatti is probably rolling over in his grave.

if it were up to me, i'd put his plaque in the hall with a big X over it to show what shame he brought upon himself and the game.  :censored: pete rose.

I am not sure Rose should manage again or anything like that, but to deny him a place in the HOF for betting (as I understand it) on his own team is very very severe on one of the games great players. And that is not to make any comment on Shoeless Joe, who also deserves a shot at a place in the HOF.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

YES YES YES. a resounding YES

pete rose is the greatest player in mlb history that was never an sf giant :P

i guess you never heard of ty cobb, babe ruth, ted williams, frank robinson, bob gibson, sandy koufax, hank greenberg, ernie banks, stan musial, and many others that were probably better than rose.

longevity isn't what makes players great, it usually makes players overrated.

I am not sure Rose should manage again or anything like that, but to deny him a place in the HOF for betting (as I understand it) on his own team is very very severe on one of the games great players. And that is not to make any comment on Shoeless Joe, who also deserves a shot at a place in the HOF.

i stand by my comments

I'm not sure how I stand on this issue, but even betting for your team is wrong. It was put to me this way on why it's wrong and i agree with it.

Say the Reds have thier 5th starter going today and thier ace tomorrow. Rose won't bet on today's game becuase he's not sure about the starter but he does know he will bet the Reds tomorrow since his ace is going.

Now it gets late in the game and the game is close. Rose might manage differently knowing he's betting on the game tomorrow and might need his big relivers tomorrow.

So by betting on his team to win, he's betting on his team to lose all the days he doesn't bet.

I don't know whether he should be in the hof or not but he should never be allowed to manage.

i'll go ahead and be in the minority on this one.....i say 'hell no'...pete did much worse than shoeless joe, and joe will never be reinstated.....pete has lied about it for almost 20 years now and he's finally gonna come clean? please. what kind of message does this send to people? lie, lie, lie then finally admit what you've done so you can get what you want. this just shows what a plopty hero worshipping society we live in. it also shows how terrible for baseball bud selig is. just to consider reinstating rose does a great injustice to bart giamatti (who was the best comissioner baseball has had in my lifetime) to take away the toughest and bravest decision he probably ever had to make. that decision was so tough on giamatti, who so loved this game, he died shortly after banning rose (i'm sure the stress of that whole fiasco had something to do with it). hell, bud probably would have let the collusion problem of the mid to late eighties go on if he had the chance....come to think of it, wasn't he part of that problem?

back on my original tangent....no, rose should never be let back in the game, whether it be an active manager, HOF member, or just a figurehead that gets people to the gates.

ridiculous.

if it were up to me, i'd put his plaque in the hall with a big X over it to show what shame he brought upon himself and the game. :censored: pete rose.

I agree to an extent - maybe he should be allowed in the HOF for his on-field accomplishments. I really don't have a problem with that. But reinstatement should never, EVER occur for this man.

nav-logo.png

ridiculous.

if it were up to me, i'd put his plaque in the hall with a big X over it to show what shame he brought upon himself and the game. :censored: pete rose.

I agree to an extent - maybe he should be allowed in the HOF for his on-field accomplishments. I really don't have a problem with that. But reinstatement should never, EVER occur for this man.

Yeah, i think the common sense thing to do (and so what definitely won't happen) is that Rose be allowed inot the HOF but not allowed to work in baseball again. That recognises that he was a great ball player, but also punishes him for his indiscretion.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

ridiculous.

Yeah, i think the common sense thing to do (and so what definitely won't happen) is that Rose be allowed inot the HOF but not allowed to work in baseball again. That recognises that he was a great ball player, but also punishes him for his indiscretion.

if shoeless joe isn't in the hall, pete rose doesn't belong there.

ridiculous.

if shoeless joe isn't in the hall, pete rose doesn't belong there.

My comments on Pete Rose have nothing to do with Shoeless Joe. Pete Rose from a purely playing point of view deserves a place in the HOF. That comment bares no relation to my opinions of anyone elses place in the Hall.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

ok how can we believe that hes doing this cause he wants it off his back?  after lying for 13 some years, i really cant believe him.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived