Should pete rose be reinstated?

habsfannova

and to think a chronic gambler wouldn't bet against his own team....i have a hard time believing that.

Pete Rose HATES to lose.

He was too much of a har nosed who would run over his own mother to win. To ever lose a game on purpose.

I belive he started betting on baseball and then started to bet on his own team, as a way of giving extra incentive to win and play harder.

Not that I know for sure, but I think the whole betting on the Reds came after he quit playing out of boredom and needing a way to get an extra thrill he was missing by not playing.

Yeah he lied 14 years, and over taht tiome everyone urged him to come clean now he has, and he is getting hammered for it. I say at least he confessed now lets see him do something and lecture about the dangers of gambling.

But he did not corrupt the game he did something worng but now its time to end his bannishment.

BTW he stopped lying in 2002 he confessed to Bud Selig in November of 2002, maybe taht dont mean anything, but I'm sure Selig signed off on Rose coming clean the way he did, and now its time for him to make his return I hope he throws out the first pitch on opening day.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Pete Rose bet on his teams some days, in actuality means he bet AGAINST them they days he didn't bet on them. The bookies knew that Rose was going to save his best players for the days he bet on them, so they days when Rose would leave the pitcher on the mound to get pounded, or he'd make a funny sub in order to keep his good players for the bet games, the bookies knew the Reds were gonna lose.

I really was a pro-Rose guy, but.. after having all of this stuff finally come out, and seeing the way his smug ass acted... i really can't say i support him now. Pete Rose is a criminal, he is not the victim, Baseball is, and i can't see him getting into the hall of fame, and i don't want to see him get in.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

If baseballs hall of fame was based on Ability alone, i'd say leth im in, but it's not. It's not like the NFL, and what he did was THE cardinal sin in baseball. You could kill someone and not be as wickedly viewed upon as a gambleri s. Since 1919 it is the one thing in baseball that is unforgivable. And just.. hearing him talk about it now... i almost wished he would have kept lying... Eventhough we knew it was all true that he bet on baseball, there's a difference between knowing, and really knowing...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I have some sympathy with the keep him out lobby, but I just think that providing it is made clear that he is being admitted for his playing achievements, which are as good as anyone elses, and not for anything else, it should be fine. The guy was one of the greatest modern players, and to leave him out of the hall seems to discredit the whole game of baseball.  Its impossible to ignore his achievements. I say forget the fanfare, forget the ceremony, stick the guy in the Hall and be done with it. But also make sure the guy doesn't work in the game again. He did wrong, and in some ways badly wrong, and should be punished for that. But he also did great as a player and deserves recognition for that.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

There are so many hall of famers who've "broken a few rules" and still made it in the hall of fame. People are way to harsh on him. Sure he did something he shouldn't have done but he still derserves a spot where his talent can be remembered.

It's not breaking just a few rules. What he did could have destroyed the game of baseball. He was banned for a reason, if people in baseball bet on baseball it makes the games looked rigged, you lose all fan support, and baseball becames the wwf, just with no popularity. This almost happened in 1919. That's why the precedent was set for banning players.

Someone who does something to help destroy the game doesn't belong in the hof

i just don't understand how a LIFETIME BAN can become a 14 year ban :angry:. if i recall correctly, pete accepted this ban. arm twisting aside, he accepted it. nothing will ever change my opinion on this...pete rose is bad for baseball, and worse for baseball if he gets into the hall.

Archived