The "Ice Garden"

averyj

The "Ice Garden" is the home to the Coachella Valley's only ice skating rink.

Many of my friends know that I do graphic design work, and it just so happens that one of my friend's dad is the owner and founder of the rink.

So, I was comissioned to do a logo and wordmark set for them.

The request was a red lion at rampart.

(They're scottish canadians, points for whoever understands the request)

NEW New Updates Below!

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I'd go w/#6. Seems less "common" than 3, which if not used a lot of other places would be a solid choice.

Another alternative would be to point out the ridiculous contradiction in terms "Ice Garden" is and develop something full of flora and fauna coated with ice.

I can't speak much to the lion, though putting the stick in a more "natural" hockey-like position undoubtedly would help.

nav-logo.png

All the fonts you've used feature snow.

Now, I come from a place where it doesn't snow, but I know enough to know the difference.

OK, both are cold, but then, so are my wife's feet at night.

Rather than just tell you what I don't like, and not offering anything further, I put this together.

The font is called Smashed, and you can get it from fonts101.com and the Lion is a trace of the lion from our family coat of arms. (Which happily is a lion rampart)

At least , if you're going for Ice, then this font has a 'skated on' Ice look to it.

Ice-Garden.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

All the fonts you've used feature snow.

Now, I come from a place where it doesn't snow, but I know enough to know the difference.

OK, both are cold, but then, so are my wife's feet at night.

Rather than just tell you what I don't like, and not offering anything further, I put this together.

The font is called Smashed, and you can get it from fonts101.com and the Lion is a trace of the lion from our family coat of arms. (Which happily is a lion rampart)

At least , if you're going for Ice, then this font has a 'skated on' Ice look to it.

Ice-Garden.gif

I love the font, thanks for sharing it, I'll be sure to show it to them.

I like the idea of a detailed lion, I want to go in your direction - but still keep it modern. You know, not getting into old-world type stuff. Any suggestions for detailing?

Thanks.

Absolutely, definitely, positively stay away from the snow.

It is a cliché.

Even that font RMERED suggested is a little too busy for signage.

That being said, his idea of an ice surface that has been skated on, is very good.

Someone here once made me a good ice background... I wished I remembered who it was.

I bet you can finds good tutorial on how to make that texture yourself...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

It is a cliché.

That being said, his idea of an ice surface that has been skated on, is very good.

Someone here once made me a good ice background... I wished I remembered who it was.

But seeing as I have Inkscape, and paint...

Do you have a copy of the ice background? I just want to take a look at it.

the logo is horrendous and looks like youve slapped skates and a stick on a badly bastardised middlesborough logo. which you have.

get the sketchbook and pencil out and start again.

and trawling dafont isnt the sme as typographical design or "wordmark" creation.

get the concept straight first. ie the scottish reference is to the 'royal' flag of scotland.

surely that would be the first place to look for inspiration?

then rather than comping skates onto an illustration you have already, combine the two.

perhaps the 'ice garden' thing can reflect the logotype?

It is a cliché.

I agree the font is too busy.

I was trying to show how you can make the appearance of ice, and not snow in the wordmark.

Probably didn't explain it very well, but that was my intention.

I have seen a texture someone has used for a hockey rink used here in the past.

They'd done football, basketball and hockey and made textures for all of them.

Something like that might work.

As for the lion, if you want an eps version, PM me your email and I'll send it and you can do what you like with him.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Some good C & C here.

Averyj,

Does the lion have to remain red or can you give him an "icy" look also?

He should maintain the red element, but he can have the ice effect, yes.

I was thinking about that also, you know, kind of have that "center ice graphic" feel to it.

I like where this is going...

Some good C & C here.

Averyj,

I was thinking about that also, you know, kind of have that "center ice graphic" feel to it.

I posted the ICE texture in the following post:

Request

It is still bothering me that I did not save credits with it...

As for making the concept a centre ice type of deal, it is a good idea, a little cliché (man I'm using that word too much these days) and hard to execute eithout a good layered program *even an average one would do....

@Frenchie_TO

Some good C & C here.

Averyj,

I posted the ICE texture in the following post:

Request

It is still bothering me that I did not save credits with it...

As for making the concept a centre ice type of deal, it is a good idea, a little cliché (man I'm using that word too much these days) and hard to execute eithout a good layered program *even an average one would do....

On who did the ice, I did some reasearch and I'm pretty sure, almost positive, that it's "STL_FANATIC".

I think I could actually manage the task of making the image into the ice.

I'll be in on a school trip in DC & NYC starting Saturday (Tomorrow) so don't expect to see updates through next week.

Although, I have made a lot, I think you'll like them. Including an Ice surface background! Also, another being a new secondary logo;

The area I'm from is known for palm trees, so I did a little somethin' to form a secondary logo. (I think this also goes well with the "Frozen flora" idea)

See you all next week. (Or some of you if you live in DC or NYC, and for some reason go to tourist attractions on weekdays... :D)

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is, back from the dead;

IceGardenVersionII.png

From one of my previous posts:

The area I'm from is known for palm trees

(explaining the significance of the palm tree in the image)

Big thanks to rmered for the lion and font, frenchie for finding the ice texture, stl_fanatic for making the texture, and everyone else who commented.

C'mon, do I really have to bump this?

Maybe...

.. but this has to be the most worthy BUMP I've ever seen, because this is a KICK-A$$ Job you did there!!!!

:shocked:

On the other hand, when you do something that good, you don't really need people to tell you, you just know B)

The one concern I have is that if this is to be used on and outdoors sign visibility maybe reduced, I'd try to tone the ice texture down a bit. (transparency)...

I love it...

@Frenchie_TO

C'mon, do I really have to bump this?

Maybe...

.. but this has to be the most worthy BUMP I've ever seen, because this is a KICK-A$$ Job you did there!!!!

:shocked:

On the other hand, when you do something that good, you don't really need people to tell you, you just know B)

The one concern I have is that if this is to be used on and outdoors sign visibility maybe reduced, I'd try to tone the ice texture down a bit. (transparency)...

I love it...

Wow! Thank you!

In regard to the "On the other hand," I'm just posting this for any other C&C - not for a gloatable @ss-kissing- But I get what you mean, regarding the comment in whole (Not just the first part).

For outdoor signs, i'd suggest going for a white background, and use the ice texture for internal logos. Maybe that could work.

Yeah, that could be easily do-able. I actually did the effect on Photoshop CS one of the macs at my school.

That reminds me, I almost forgot, BIG thanks to Mrchippert3, for providing the "Graphic Texture" tutorial. (The one with the brick wall effect) I followed the video tutorial on how to do it, I just substituted the images. Thanks also to pcgd, for (indirectly) pointing this out.

While I have been on this thread before, I have failed to comment. I have this question:

Whatever logo and font is selected, is it expected to be on both letterhead, as well at Center Ice, when officially re-laid? Especially the lion?

I say that since the name "Ice Garden" will be set up as if it has already been skated on. When new, it will look "old" then it win become used. When I was a grad student, I did two stints at the campus ice arena where we had to relay each semetser. The designs which looked great on CAD did not turn out as thought when laid down. You have done a wonderful job, but when the ice is laid, is the owner prepared to have a template of the logos and wordmark, or will it be freehand onto one of the first layers of ice? I don't want to see your work basically go to waste.

While I have been on this thread before, I have failed to comment. I have this question:

Whatever logo and font is selected, is it expected to be on both letterhead, as well at Center Ice, when officially re-laid? Especially the lion?

I say that since the name "Ice Garden" will be set up as if it has already been skated on. When new, it will look "old" then it win become used. When I was a grad student, I did two stints at the campus ice arena where we had to relay each semetser. The designs which looked great on CAD did not turn out as thought when laid down. You have done a wonderful job, but when the ice is laid, is the owner prepared to have a template of the logos and wordmark, or will it be freehand onto one of the first layers of ice? I don't want to see your work basically go to waste.

It will not be put on ice at all, as far as I know.

The garden used to be an old furnature store that was bought after it went out of business.

Simply said, it's pretty small.

On another note, My friend's parents to morgaged their house to pay for the Ice Garden. That's how dedicated they were to getting it up and running.

So:

Most likely no for the ice.

Most likely yes for letterhead and all that.

And undecided for billboards, tv commercials, and all that jazz...

(I'm supposed to meet with them this weekend to figure this all out, plus compensation)

Archived