Race for the Presidents Trophy

Gary

Where were all your fans before the lockout? Just curious, when the Flyers and Leafs are in their down years, and it doesnt happen often, its still full houses every night. See, this is one of the things that pisses me off about Sabres fans. Noone shows up, and now all of a sudden, they try to act like its Red Sox nation. You sit here and try and belittle the Flyers and Leafs like theyre your bitches or something, when the reality is, theres more history of success and tradition now than will EVER be in your joke of a city. Im done with making "classless" jokes on here. So, from now on, its just the facts. Frankly, I dont care if you beat us 9-1 this year. The bottom line is CHAMPIONSHIPS. We have two of them, the Leafs have 13. I dont care if they were won 30 or 40 years ago, the bottom line is they were won, and you dont have any. So if the Sabres win the Cup this year, come on here, and let me have it, because Ill deserve it. Until then, stop pretending your team and your city is God's gift to the hockey world. Ive had just about enough of the Buffalo homerism.

Listen, I respect the fact that both cities "used" to have some hockey tradition. But c'mon since the Ballard era in Toronto and the Clarke led era in Philly niether has done anything to merit carrying the banner for the NHL either.

The only part of your post I, as a Sabres fan, take offense to is that you say no one showed up before the lockout... There is only one reason why attendance sagged here in Buffalo for a couple of years. Simply put, the previous ownership had stuck it up the asses of the fans here in Buffalo for so long, then we find out the ownership is under indictment for misusing revenue from the team and their Cable TV empire which as a result almost cost us our hockey team altogether. If Tom Golisano hadn't rode in on his White Horse and saved the franchise they would be in Kansas City right now.

Once the ownership issue was settled the fans came back, even the season before the lockout (which was the new owners first full season). The Sabres sold out EVERY game from the time the Sabres began in 1970 until around the early 90's. It was only the hatred of the past ownership that created a rift between the team and the fans.

Say all you want about Philly having two cups and the Sabres none that's fact and not arguable, but trust me the majority of fans in Buffalo are NOT Bandwagoners (there will be some of those in every city, that's just the way sports works). What's wrong with my 60 year old aunt who's never heard of hockey getting excited about the Sabres this year. Isn't that what the NHL wants, new fans?

And to reply to the guy pissed because Buffalo fans show up and boo the home team in other cities. Try sitting in Buffalo's arena during a Maple Leafs or Canadiens game, since the "normal everyday" fan in Toronto is priced out of their own arena, as soon as the schedule comes out and tickets go on sale they flock to buy tickets for the 4 games here. I'd say about 30% of the crowd is Toronto fans. Instead of crying about all the TO fans in the crowd, we rather enjoy it, makes for an even more exciting atmosphere for even a regular season game in November.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least someone on here has an intelligent response. You cant say there is no tradition here. Sit in the stands for any Flyers home game this year. I have never seen that kind of fan support for a team that was that bad. Want comparison? Take the Sixers, a team that was equally as bad in the SAME city in the SAME year. They average just over 12,000 a game, and thats just tickets sold. About 20 percent of those people dont even show up. I can tell you from personal experience that the building was alive and well this season for Flyers games, even into the end of the worst season in franchise history. Even a few games in the dying months of the season were sell outs.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I've been a die-hard sabres fan for as long as I can remember. I will admit that I have more interest now than I did 5 years ago, but that's because the hype is so much greater. And as gdffl86 said, it was the ownership that was the problem. They did a horrible job of marketing hte game and drove so many fans away. I also agree with the fact that there are more die-hards than bandwaggoners. You can't judge whose a bandwaggoner and who is not by the jersey they're wearing too. I own both a slug and an origionial blue and gold.

Where were all your fans before the lockout? Just curious, when the Flyers and Leafs are in their down years, and it doesnt happen often, its still full houses every night. See, this is one of the things that pisses me off about Sabres fans. Noone shows up, and now all of a sudden, they try to act like its Red Sox nation. You sit here and try and belittle the Flyers and Leafs like theyre your bitches or something, when the reality is, theres more history of success and tradition now than will EVER be in your joke of a city. Im done with making "classless" jokes on here. So, from now on, its just the facts. Frankly, I dont care if you beat us 9-1 this year. The bottom line is CHAMPIONSHIPS. We have two of them, the Leafs have 13. I dont care if they were won 30 or 40 years ago, the bottom line is they were won, and you dont have any. So if the Sabres win the Cup this year, come on here, and let me have it, because Ill deserve it. Until then, stop pretending your team and your city is God's gift to the hockey world. Ive had just about enough of the Buffalo homerism.

Weren't you the d!ck who made the Connoly concussion watch line?

And to reply to the guy pissed because Buffalo fans show up and boo the home team in other cities. Try sitting in Buffalo's arena during a Maple Leafs or Canadiens game, since the "normal everyday" fan in Toronto is priced out of their own arena, as soon as the schedule comes out and tickets go on sale they flock to buy tickets for the 4 games here. I'd say about 30% of the crowd is Toronto fans. Instead of crying about all the TO fans in the crowd, we rather enjoy it, makes for an even more exciting atmosphere for even a regular season game in November.

At least in that case they are division rivals. I am unfamiliar with any rivalry existing between Washington and Buffalo that would inspire such intense emotions as booing the other teams' star.

Look, this wasn't the only Caps game I've been to with a sizable road contingent-there were about 3000 Pittsburghers another time. The thing is, they didn't boo Ovechkin everytime he touched the puck and overall conducted themselves in a respectful manner.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Listen, I respect the fact that both cities "used" to have some hockey tradition. But c'mon since the Ballard era in Toronto and the Clarke led era in Philly niether has done anything to merit carrying the banner for the NHL either.

At least the Flyers made the Stanley Cup Finals in that span...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

And the Sabres have made the finals as well.

At least in that case they are division rivals. I am unfamiliar with any rivalry existing between Washington and Buffalo that would inspire such intense emotions as booing the other teams' star.

Look, this wasn't the only Caps game I've been to with a sizable road contingent-there were about 3000 Pittsburghers another time. The thing is, they didn't boo Ovechkin everytime he touched the puck and overall conducted themselves in a respectful manner.

Hey, Ovechkin did indeed hit Briere from behind (getting a game misconduct in the process). That's enough reason for me to think less of Ovechkin as a Superstar and more of him as a spoiled pampered athlete who thinks the rules don't apply to him. If the same thing happened to any other star in the league I would hope their fans would be just as upset. To answer the obvious question someone is going to ask... YES, Briere did spear Ovechkin during the next game they played against each other. Do I think it was the right thing to do, NO. But all these people who want "old time hockey, where the players police themselves" back, I guess that's the kind of frontier justice they are talking about.

Could you imagine if Sidney Crosby was cross-checked from behind and hit his head on the boards? The whole league would boo whomever it was in every arena.

If players and fans are so sensitive that it upsets them that others around them are booing then they need to watch the games from the comfort of their living rooms. ALL the fans paid the same amount of money for tickets in any one section, so that gives them the right to boo as much as they like. The only thing that shouldn't be accepted is if someone is beligerent or way overboard with their language etc....

And the Sabres have made the finals as well.

So everyone's even now? unsure.gif

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

wow, that was the worst argument ever.

Magic07.jpg

To enhance the argument, they did win 2 cups.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

*Furiously searches for where Fred T. Jane was picking one team over another in the argument, yet fails miserably*

Hey, Ovechkin did indeed hit Briere from behind (getting a game misconduct in the process). That's enough reason for me to think less of Ovechkin as a Superstar and more of him as a spoiled pampered athlete who thinks the rules don't apply to him. If the same thing happened to any other star in the league I would hope their fans would be just as upset. To answer the obvious question someone is going to ask... YES, Briere did spear Ovechkin during the next game they played against each other. Do I think it was the right thing to do, NO. But all these people who want "old time hockey, where the players police themselves" back, I guess that's the kind of frontier justice they are talking about.

Would this be a bad time to point out Briere got a game misconduct for spearing another Caps player on Saturday?

In regards to the code, my understanding was that once the revenge hit is made, all is forgiven. Unless permanent injury is involved, then they are a pariah. (ie Bertuzzi)

Could you imagine if Sidney Crosby was cross-checked from behind and hit his head on the boards? The whole league would boo whomever it was in every arena.

*Thinks about stuff he sees lurking on hfboards*

I'm not as sure about that as you.

If players and fans are so sensitive that it upsets them that others around them are booing then they need to watch the games from the comfort of their living rooms. ALL the fans paid the same amount of money for tickets in any one section, so that gives them the right to boo as much as they like. The only thing that shouldn't be accepted is if someone is beligerent or way overboard with their language etc....

Evidently you didn't see my jacka$$ line. The Sabres fans were just poorly behaved, period. Booing alone wouldn't make me want to flip you over the rail. I'm sorry, though, I was trained that you should be respectful when you are watching your team on the road.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To enhance the argument, they did win 2 cups.

Heh....just not in my lifetime.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived