New USFL Site Coming May 11

Mac the Knife

Guys,

To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the launch of the United States Football League, and thanks to GoDaddy having a super-cheap deal on .info domain names, I've decided that on May 11 I'll be launching a new web site dedicated to the history of the league, USFL.INFO.

My hope for the site is, to such extent as is possible anyway, not to re-hash what others have done, but to take a different tack - providing more detail about the league's exploits both on and off the field than most, and also perhaps providing a message forum or some other means by which fans long-lost USFL alumni can connect and interact with one another.

Anyway, with that in mind I'd like to ask those of you here in the CCSLC what type of material you would like to see on such a site. Nostalgia's the draw to be sure, but what would cause you to visit a site like USFL.INFO more than once?

nav-logo.png

Free fantasy football, and cheerleader profiles.

I'd try to track down some owners, players, concession stand workers, to get an idea of what they were trying to do, personally. Get some interviews in there, see what kind of tack you can take there.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Game Results, Stats, Team Summuries year by year, Coaching histories and lots of pictures.

Also tell me when you launch and Ill provide a link on Sports E-Cyclopedia.com

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Free fantasy football, and cheerleader profiles.

I'd try to track down some owners, players, concession stand workers, to get an idea of what they were trying to do, personally. Get some interviews in there, see what kind of tack you can take there.

Considering that most USFL cheerleaders are probably now in their late 40's/early 50's, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of interest in their profiles today, Lammy...

Unfortunately most of the majority owners of teams (John Bassett, Donald Trump, Clinton Manges, Marvin Warner, etc.) are either dead or inaccessible (I once considered writing a USFL-based book, which I was going to title "Down and Out: The Rise and Demise of the USFL." Also unfortunately its something I'd be hard pressed to do in just six weeks time, but its definitely something to consider once the site is up and running. I'd love to talk with Chet Simmons for example, or Fred Bullard, owner of the Jacksonville Bulls.

I like Husky's idea, though it may take a while to compile that information from media guides. Oz is also on track with video - I recently bought the '83 and '84 USFL Championship Games on DVD with that in mind. And while Tank's going with the re-hash, that kind of 'bread and butter' stuff will be included as well.

A few neat things I either plan to or hope to add are the texts of league-internal documents, stuff that the general population even today would be hard pressed to find. I'll probably be spending the next week or so going through my garage, sifting through all my old USFL stuff, finding a piece here, a piece there. It'll be fun for me.

Anyway, any other ideas for USFL.INFO?

nav-logo.png

if possible depending on bandwith and all good stuff,posting old video clips wether it's game footage,ticket promos,news clips etc.

This is a great idea.

As for merchandise, I'll try to take and link pictures of --

1. The Philadelphia Stars stadium worker windbreaker hanging in the closet in my kids' playroom (a gift from a college roommate that barely survived a wife-instigated clothing purge a few years back).

2. My Baltimore Stars AJD hat, if I still have it. I think that survived as well, but I'm not positive where it is if it did.

As for cheerleaders, you may have noticed that there is a whole thread devoted to 40-50 year olds. Let's see some pictures!!!!! :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'd guess that with a little perseverence and pluck you could track down a number of figures from the USFL - players, coaches, administrators. Chet Simmons would be awesome. With the right connections you might even be able to get ahold of Jim Mora. Carl Peterson might not even be a reach.

I'd be interested in seeing who you can track down, especially some of the USFL stars whose success just didn't carry over into the NFL - John Corker, Chuck Fusina, Freddy Besana, Eric Truvilion, Tremaine Johnson, etc.

If you're looking for a real challenge, try locating former supporters of the Washington Federals, the league doormats for its first two seasons before moving to Orlando.

Are you wanting contributions? If I can find it, I have a USFL program with all the helmets on the front.

I wasn't soliciting for contributions, but of course anything that someone would like to contribute to the project would be welcomed.

Though now that I think of it, if anyone'd be willing to vectorize the various USFL and team logos from those years, that'd provide me with help beyond anyone's possible measure.

nav-logo.png

Anyway, any other ideas for USFL.INFO?

A link to sportslogos.net

Some things go without saying, Chris...

You should be aiming for a complete database of information related to the league and its teams as well as a collection of articles...

Boxscore archive? Player registry? Logos of course... programs, merchandise... if you could score interviews with former players, coaches, owners, league officials -- all of that would be great.

Throw some videos up there.

I wish I personally had something to contribute but I really don't, I'll keep an eye out for you though.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

"Aiming for" is the operative term... with only about 5 weeks to prepare this thing for its initial launch, I'm realistic about what it will start with.

Right now I'm not even sure what look the site should take... I'm goofing around with graphics trying to put off the rest of it, kicking around in my garage looking for reference materials and what-not, but realize I'm just putting off decisions I should be making now.

nav-logo.png

Archived