Wellington Phoenix FC

Brian in Boston

Wellington, New Zealand's entry into the Hyundai A-League soccer competition has unveiled it's name and logo. The franchise, which replaces the defunct New Zealand Knights, will be known as Wellington Phoenix FC.

Owner Terry Serepisos introducing the team's new logo.

287419.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4009041a18075.html

Hmmmm... is that a phoenix or a Rorschach test? That avian mascot almost makes DC United's poorly-rendered eagle look good by comparison.

Seriously, given that this Wellington-based team was launched in the wake of the Knights folding, the name is fitting. That said, the phoenix portion of the logo needs work.

shocking logo.

the phoenix is aweful, footballs dnt look like that anymore and the outinle on the black logo is amateurish.

that boys, is a half hour job or perhaps terry has a 'nephew thats good at art'.

i dont know what he is looking so happy about, id hate to see the ones they rejected.

It was drawn by the owners' cousin....

Reminds me of 1930 Germany

ha! i was right!

alphabets right. "wellington uber alles!"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sorry... not a fan of a NZ team being allowed to stay in our A-League. If we judged them on logos alone they'd surely be relegated.

liverpool-1.png

Sorry... not a fan of a NZ team being allowed to stay in our A-League. If we judged them on logos alone they'd surely be relegated.

Surely, be relegated? Perhaps, in your opinion. However, I'd rate Wellington Phoenix FC's logo as no worse than fourth in the Hyundai A-League... even with the namesake bird needing work.

1T) Melbourne Victory FC

1T) Sydney FC

3) Adelaide United FC

4) Wellington Phoenix FC

5) Newcastle United Jets

6) Queensland Roar

7) Central Coast Mariners

8) Perth Glory

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

OK, then let's get rid if the NZ Breakers in the NBL and the New Zealand Warriors of the NRL.. :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Surely, be relegated? Perhaps, in your opinion. However, I'd rate Wellington Phoenix FC's logo as no worse than fourth in the Hyundai A-League... even with the namesake bird needing work.

1T) Melbourne Victory FC

1T) Sydney FC

3) Adelaide United FC

4) Wellington Phoenix FC

5) Newcastle United Jets

6) Queensland Roar

7) Central Coast Mariners

8) Perth Glory

its way worse than the current ones. theyre a tad garish but at least they look like pro jobs.

At least they didn't name them "New Zealand," which was dumb the first time around. (Then again, at least Knights was a better name than what that club had before.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Football Kingz.

Terrible.

You've got the bottom 3 just about right. Perth's is shocking.

Why shouldn't New Zealand have a team in the A-League?

Because its an Australian competition. C'mon I mean, they don't even have NZ players in their team (they have a few). And they went through 3 coaches last year and it wasn't until they got the national team coach that they won a couple of times. They were a joke.

Breakers will stay because NBL is an Australasian league, and the Slingers will stay becasue of $$$.

Warriors will stay because NRL has some interest in NZ.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The A-League had two or three Australian cities lining up to replace Auckland with millions of dollars of corporate backing yet the NZers could barely scrape a couple of million together at the last minute to save their franchise. That's practical reason #1.

Their team has basically been one of the worst 2-3 teams in the league every season since they entered the old NSL, and were so far off the pace this season it was laughable.

Their purpose is to improve NZ soccer by providing a professional club for their developing players, so why did they fill their squad with English 3rd division journeymen instead of NZ players? NZ Soccer is in a worse state now than it ever was before they joined the league.

Their continuing existence seems little more than tokenism from the FFA so they don't look bad walking out on Oceania to join the Asian Football Confederation.

And the logo is the worst imo, though Perth is also shocking. Not sure why the Glory changed from their original logo which was better!

liverpool-1.png

Archived