MLB Alternate Logo Project

ltravisjr

Alright, I forced myself to come up with a new Brewers alt depicting a beer barrel. I worked longer on it then I care to admit, and am still undecided on two possibilities, so I will just post both. To be honest, I think the detail in this approaches primary logo territory, but you may be the judge.

-LT

milb.png

I like it, but, when I looked at it I thought it was a canon because of the way it's tilted. Maybe it's just me though.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it, but, when I looked at it I thought it was a canon because of the way it's tilted. Maybe it's just me though.

I was thinking the same thing, but besides that this is my favorite so far. 2nd place is the Cubbies. Terrific work.

For example, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see a Brewers logo that incorporates a Milwaukee landmark (the Milw. Art Museum, the Clock Tower, etc). Everything about this team's idenity since it moved to Miller Park has emphasized "Brewers," I want to see one that emphasizes "Milwaukee" for a change.

You can't really incorporate a Milwaukee landmark. None of them are relevant, or rather, certainly not as iconic as the Statue of Liberty, Sears Tower, Gateway Arch, Space Needle, Golden Gate, or Liberty Bell. Yes, I know you're reppin' the em-eye-ell till the day you die, and the art museum is impressive, and the clock tower too, but they're just not iconic enough to be effective.

For example, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see a Brewers logo that incorporates a Milwaukee landmark (the Milw. Art Museum, the Clock Tower, etc). Everything about this team's idenity since it moved to Miller Park has emphasized "Brewers," I want to see one that emphasizes "Milwaukee" for a change.

You can't really incorporate a Milwaukee landmark. None of them are relevant, or rather, certainly not as iconic as the Statue of Liberty, Sears Tower, Gateway Arch, Space Needle, Golden Gate, or Liberty Bell. Yes, I know you're reppin' the em-eye-ell till the day you die, and the art museum is impressive, and the clock tower too, but they're just not iconic enough to be effective.

Well it'd be pretty damn hard to make a logo out of a bunch of pot-bellied, shirtless tourists from up north drinking Miller Lite out of plastic cups on the Lakefront in the summer... and even if it could be done... would you really want to? :D

Anyway, don't you think it's just a little premature to be holding a 6-year old art museum to the things you named? For all intents and purposes, it's been Milwaukee's since the milennium and could justifiably be used in an alternate logo.

As for the clock-tower, it was already made into a logo for Mike Bliss' car for a Busch Series race in 2004 (his sponsor was Allen-Bradley's parent company). And the Brewers play in a stadium which has a facade that includes clocks that were clearly inspired by the Allen-Bradley tower.

Either way, it doesn't really matter if "everyone else" gets the references as long as it inspires local support of the team. We all saw what happened when the Isles tried to get rid of their orange blob.

brew.png

Well it'd be pretty damn hard to make a logo out of a bunch of pot-bellied, shirtless tourists from up north drinking Miller Lite out of plastic cups on the Lakefront in the summer... and even if it could be done... would you really want to? :D

Anyway, don't you think it's just a little premature to be holding a 6-year old art museum to the things you named? For all intents and purposes, it's been Milwaukee's since the milennium and could justifiably be used in an alternate logo.

As for the clock-tower, it was already made into a logo for Mike Bliss' car for a Busch Series race in 2004 (his sponsor was Allen-Bradley's parent company). And the Brewers play in a stadium which has a facade that includes clocks that were clearly inspired by the Allen-Bradley tower.

Either way, it doesn't really matter if "everyone else" gets the references as long as it inspires local support of the team. We all saw what happened when the Isles tried to get rid of their orange blob.

B6th, FWIW when I was struggling with an idea for Milwaukee in the first place, I had considered researching something characteristic of the city had I not been able to come up with anything else. It could be done, but perhaps in my laziness I didn't explore it further once I started making progress with the barrel (cannon). Again, its not that a Milwaukee landmark is a really bad idea or unworkable...

And k2bf - good find, I was not aware Iowa used that! Like I said regarding the Nike alt, I take pride that I was able to come up with an idea good enough to have already been created professionally, although disappointed I didn't come up with it first.

LT

Alright, I forced myself to come up with a new Brewers alt depicting a beer barrel. I worked longer on it then I care to admit, and am still undecided on two possibilities, so I will just post both. To be honest, I think the detail in this approaches primary logo territory, but you may be the judge.

-LT

milb.png

Wow, a definite improvement. I definitely prefer the one on the right, with the blue barrel detailing.

Does it look like a cannon? A bit, at first glance, perhaps. But not really. Other than being round and having a hole in one end, cannons just don't look like that. They're not made of wooden slats bound together with metal rings. It could be made to look less like a cannon if you made the top gold with blue shading, plank details, or even a cork or tap. Still, the very superficial cannon connotation wouldn't worry me.

The only thing I would take issue with on this one is the M on the bottom of the ring. I know why you put it there, and truth is I probably would have done so myself for lack of a better idea as to how to anchor the two grain stalks. But the letter isn't going to scale well at all, at least not down, and the beauty of your work on this project has been the way in which you've strived, and most often succeeded, in creating logos that would work at any scale, from a giant ballpark sign to polo shirt embroidery to the tiniest web bug.

20082614447.png

Its short life is precisely why you can't use it. It's meaningless.

Orange blob? It's Long Island. Almost everybody knows what Long goddamned Island looks like. I think the best way to inspire local support is just using Milwaukee on the roads. I'd prefer this:

brewscript.jpg

Since they'll be going back to the old colors soon and all. That'll do the trick. It's just that Milwaukee doesn't have any iconic landmarks or architecture.

Speaking of local references, what about Gertie the duck? Good baseball vibes, what with the whole new-life-beginning-in-spring thing, an icon no other team really even comes close to using, and so odd a juxtaposition with the team name that outsiders might even be interested.

20082614447.png

Wow, a definite improvement. I definitely prefer the one on the right, with the blue barrel detailing.

Does it look like a cannon? A bit, at first glance, perhaps. But not really. Other than being round and having a hole in one end, cannons just don't look like that. They're not made of wooden slats bound together with metal rings. It could be made to look less like a cannon if you made the top gold with blue shading, plank details, or even a cork or tap. Still, the very superficial cannon connotation wouldn't worry me.

The only thing I would take issue with on this one is the M on the bottom of the ring. I know why you put it there, and truth is I probably would have done so myself for lack of a better idea as to how to anchor the two grain stalks. But the letter isn't going to scale well at all, at least not down, and the beauty of your work on this project has been the way in which you've strived, and most often succeeded, in creating logos that would work at any scale, from a giant ballpark sign to polo shirt embroidery to the tiniest web bug.

I appreciate the support on this version, BW. I do think it looks more like a barrel than a cannon, but I just couldn't feel easy with that blue top, you know? I decided to play with it more and make the top brown, and rework the barrel outline to reclaim the lost contrast. I get what you are saying about the "M" and agree with it in principle. I guess it goes to what I said earlier that this is venturing into primarly logo territory. Honestly, my preference is for the really simple alts like I did with the Royals and Cubs, but some teams have proven to be difficult to render that way. Oh well, here is the new version. Is it better then what I had previously? If so, great - I really want to get to the next set ^_^ .

-LT

milb2.png

Its short life is precisely why you can't use it. It's meaningless.

Guess the Greater Milwaukee Visitors & Tourism Bereau was out taking a whiz when they passed out that memo:

milwaukee-logo.jpg

And if Milwaukee doesn't have any distinctive architecture, why is it listed here: http://www.nationaltrust.org/dozen_distinc...ations/list.asp

I'm a big Astros fan, and it looks like you put alot of hard work into that.

But I'm really not a fan, its sorta busy and curvy for me.

I don't like the Astros word mark, I wish they'd change it, because that star is likley to change.

Perhaps you should mondernize the old star and H logo

• 3 weeks later...

That Pirates one may be the best one i've seen any one do on here. I'm not sure what it is, but it just stands out big time. I think you should really send it in. We'd be seeing it on Pirates merchandise in no time. I also love that Cards one, too. I agree that the Reds one would be really tough, so no worries there. The Astros one is cool too, and it kinda reminded me of a lasso for some odd reason. I think that the Brewers one may be the least "standout" of them all, but it's still good. I know I've seen a cubs one with just the head before, but what you did is still good. Great overall job: an A ++

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

• 3 weeks later...

milb2.png

My apologies for bumping a nearly month-old thread, but this is the first time I've seen it, thanks to the link from the NL East thread.

This is brilliant. Adding the gold on the top of the barrel really helps it out. There's just one more thing that I think would be helpful to consider. What about rotating the barley detailing and M so that the barrel doesn't overlap the barley? Sure, you could rotate the barrel to full vertical, but I think that would be boring. Instead, you could turn the barley and the M, but leave the M fully upright, just in the new place. Does any of that make sense?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

My apologies for bumping a nearly month-old thread, but this is the first time I've seen it, thanks to the link from the NL East thread.

This is brilliant. Adding the gold on the top of the barrel really helps it out. There's just one more thing that I think would be helpful to consider. What about rotating the barley detailing and M so that the barrel doesn't overlap the barley? Sure, you could rotate the barrel to full vertical, but I think that would be boring. Instead, you could turn the barley and the M, but leave the M fully upright, just in the new place. Does any of that make sense?

No problem bumping - better late than never, and now that I have presented my whole project I can revisit some logos that I could further improve. Here, the M/barley element was always a challenge, and there are some ways I can approach to recifying it, your idea included. I will see how it goes - stay tuned.

LT

No problem bumping - better late than never, and now that I have presented my whole project I can revisit some logos that I could further improve. Here, the M/barley element was always a challenge, and there are some ways I can approach to recifying it, your idea included. I will see how it goes - stay tuned.

LT

Ive tried searching alternate logos for the Cardinals but this is the only one Ive found. Does anyone know of any cool alternate logos anyone has posted on here and can they post pics of them in this thread

Archived