The Sports Identity Tournament: Elite 8 in each league

STL FANATIC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I don't. There's no reason people should feel so strongly that those two teams don't belong there. They might feel they'd swap 'em one or two spots, but most people should agree they're easily top 3-5, and that 3-5's can often be reordered and still be fine.

Well, in the idea that people like to nitpick on your St. Louis bias, this is part of the problem. Here, you just assumed that everyone shares your belief that the Cardinals and Blues have these fantastic perfect uniforms that makes them worthy of their highest rankings, (and even if you think they wouldn't agree with you 100%, you still assume that we would all non-chalantly include them in our top 3-5 anyways. And because of this, you also assume that people can not "not like" them. Well, whether you like it or not, it is very much possible to not like either uniform for whatever reasons. By placing them #1 and #2, you are speaking on behalf of a majority that does not agree with you and this is what annoys them. All of this is just your opinion, and while you make that clear later, you make it seem as though it's a widely known fact.

IMO, I have no problem with the way the tournament is being run. I understand that two teams had to be be given an automatic bye to continue with the tournament, and I personally have no problems with the teams you gave byes to anyways (although how you determined them should have been through some sort of public presence, like say, creating matchups for all 30 teams, but taking the loser who earned the highest percentage of the vote to remain in the seeding as #16). I find it kind of unusual though that the two matchups that the Blues and Cardinals will be facing will be against teams that are not known for having a rock-solid identity (except maybe the Athletics).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

No I don't. There's no reason people should feel so strongly that those two teams don't belong there. They might feel they'd swap 'em one or two spots, but most people should agree they're easily top 3-5, and that 3-5's can often be reordered and still be fine.

Well, in the idea that people like to nitpick on your St. Louis bias, this is part of the problem. Here, you just assumed that everyone shares your belief that the Cardinals and Blues have these fantastic perfect uniforms that makes them worthy of their highest rankings, (and even if you think they wouldn't agree with you 100%, you still assume that we would all non-chalantly include them in our top 3-5 anyways. And because of this, you also assume that people can not "not like" them. Well, whether you like it or not, it is very much possible to not like either uniform for whatever reasons. By placing them #1 and #2, you are speaking on behalf of a majority that does not agree with you and this is what annoys them. All of this is just your opinion, and while you make that clear later, you make it seem as though it's a widely known fact.

IMO, I have no problem with the way the tournament is being run. I understand that two teams had to be be given an automatic bye to continue with the tournament, and I personally have no problems with the teams you gave byes to anyways (although how you determined them should have been through some sort of public presence, like say, creating matchups for all 30 teams, but taking the loser who earned the highest percentage of the vote to remain in the seeding as #16). I find it kind of unusual though that the two matchups that the Blues and Cardinals will be facing will be against teams that are not known for having a rock-solid identity (except maybe the Athletics).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Thanks for coming at this from a logical angle. Nobody likes being called out, but at least you call me out with content.

Now, let me respond. I didn't assume everyone agrees. And if you look at my wording, I didn't even assume everyone would put them into the top 3-5. What my wording implies is that I think a majority would put them into the top 3-5. Of course I know someone might think they're the worst set in the league. That's how it goes. I'm not ignorant to that.

Also, I thought I made it clear in my original post that even though I tried to take into account some of the sentiments I've seen expressed here, this was primarily my own opinions. If I wasn't clear on that I apologize.

I ABSOLUTELY never meant to imply that these rankings were how the board feels. If I did feel that way, then I would have just posted them and not asked for voting.

I'm a little confused by what you are saying for seeding or at least choosing the byes, but ultimately I felt it made most since to just seed myself and then let the board vote. The way I figure it is we're looking for the winner, not who loses when.

Also, I should note, that when I originally did these ranked, I screwed up how I set up the brackets and had the top FOUR seeds getting byes. So if you go see who the 3 and 4 seeds are in the NBA, NHL, and MLB are, when I seeded them, I did so believing I would be giving them a bye in the first round as well.

Finally, as for you who the Blues and Cardinals face in the 2nd round...I promise with ABSOLUTE 100% sincerity that I didn't look into how matchups would play out in future rounds AT ALL. I simply ranked and then filled in the brackets. And like I said, I even had the wrong bracket seeding matchups when I first seeded anyways.

I don't know what I'm going to do right now in regards to the board. I don't like having everything dismissed as being a homer. There's times when I understand where people are coming from. There's times when the people calling me a homer are ignorant jerks just looking to dismiss my opinion. If I could shed the reputation, I would, but to do so would require me to lie or not post at all when my team could at all be concerned. I won't do the first, and I've already been doing the second in part for sometime (you'll notice I rarely predict or respond to predictions). I may have to do the second in full, but that sure would be a drag.

I'll figure that out later.

But right now, I'd really appreciate it if we could just move with the homer calling in this thread and let this be a fun little tournament. Obviously, some people don't have a problem with where I seeded the teams in question. I promise I did so for very legit design reasons. And, ultimately, you can vote for upsets and get them out of the tournament when the time comes. So it really shouldn't be a hold up.

I'm not asking for you to stop calling me a homer right now, but I'm asking it to stop happening in this thread.

Debate the seeds a bit. That's all part of good discussion. But can we please take the personal aspect out of this thread?

Homer seeds or not....what's up with the NFL ones? Seahawks, Texans and Rams in the top 7 but Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins and 49ers are all 15th or worse? Yikes.

That's all explained by my design criteria and lack of caring about Tradition.

Most people know my biggest rule is consistancy. The Cowboys break that almost as much as they can. The 49ers don't have a great about either, and I also think they could use their colors better in their striping.

The Dolphins have a decent look, but I dunno. It's just not a favorite of mine. The Steelers also have an overall solid look, but they just don't have the perfect design qualities I like. I will admit though, they were a team I saw I seeded 20 and went...hmm...but at the same time, I did feel like the teams I put ahead of them were better in my opinion. Well..mostly...teams like the Cowboys and Browns are actually higher than I would put them all on my own...that's a case where board opinion did influence me some.

You got the Blues ranked higher than the Canadiens, a team that's had the same :censored:in' logo/sweater for generations? You can't get any more consistent than that. Meanwhile, the Blues have changed their jersey designs twice (at least) in the span of about 10-13 years.

That's just stupid. I'd say ignorant, but ignorance allows room for teaching. You can't teach stupid.

You got the Blues ranked higher than the Canadiens, a team that's had the same :censored:in' logo/sweater for generations? You can't get any more consistent than that. Meanwhile, the Blues have changed their jersey designs twice (at least) in the span of about 10-13 years.

That's just stupid. I'd say ignorant, but ignorance allows room for teaching. You can't teach stupid.

Hedley...

Consistancy in design, sir.

I don't give a darn about how long anyones had a design (for the most part).

Look at the Canadiens home sweater. Then look at their road sweater. That is NOT consistancy.

Hedley...

Look at the Canadiens home sweater. Then look at their road sweater. That is NOT consistancy.

I would say that by wearing blue caps on the road and red caps at home that the Cardinals are not very consistent. They, like the Nationals, don't know which color to pick it seems. Just my opinion.

Hedley...

I would say that by wearing blue caps on the road and red caps at home that the Cardinals are not very consistent. They, like the Nationals, don't know which color to pick it seems. Just my opinion.

(At this point we're hopefully just having good uniform discussion...)

That is a fair observation, but I don't find it to really be inconsistant. I think it's fair to expect a team to have minor differences in color between home and road sets (note that outlines and what not remain consistant between both). Many teams have a home and road cap, and I don't think it hurts their look.

A lot of people compare the Cardinals and Nationals with the home red and navy road, but that's not a real accurate comparison. The Nationals change to navy their hat, wordmard, front and back numbers, name, belt, shoes, and undershirt. The Cardinals only change their hat and belt and manage to keep their red identity pretty strong by keeping everything else red.

But, like you, that's just my opinion.

Everybody should do a "reverse Sanjay" and vote against the St. Louis entries to to rid this thing of its corruption.

Aww... is that because you didn't design any of them, Tom?

philly.png

Everybody should do a "reverse Sanjay" and vote against the St. Louis entries to to rid this thing of its corruption.

Has Charlotte crashed out yet?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived