I was there...

Shane Does Art

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to many memorable or high-profile games unfortunately. I'd say the best game I've ever been to was in 2005 (the last year of the old Busch Stadium) for a Braves-Cards game. Bottom of the ninth, Cards down by two or three runs, bases loaded and David Eckstein comes up to bat and hits a grand slam, and the Cards win. (As a Dodger fan, I didn't like seeing the Cards win, especially since my aunt and uncle are huge Cards fans).

espnsig.gif

- Game 3 of last year's Calder Cup finals

- Not really that important, but I was at Cal Ripken's 2,109 game. It was cool when they changed the banner

- Jim Thome's 400th HR...what a long standing ovation for that guy. Then Pat "The Prettiest Strikeout in the MLB" Burrell went back to back. Too bad there was a 3-hour rain delay, and Griffey didn't play(he was at 499 HRs that night)

- I forget what year, but I saw Pitt upset VA Tech in football during the Fitzgerald/Rutherford/Wilson era at Pitt. At another game(I think vs. Rutgers), Fitz made a catch in the corner of the end-zone, right where I was sitting in the 2nd row, right behind the homecoming queen candidates :D

- Not important as far as historical stuff, but I'll always remember the games that I met Moises Alou, Dennis Martinez and Leo Mizzone(sp?).

Thome's 400th HR was really the only historically important game I've been to, but the others stand out in my mind.

I was at the final game in the AAA Edmonton Trappers history, which got rained out after a couple innings. Pretty sad.

But the biggest game I was at in my life... Game 6 of the 2006 Western Conference Quarterfinals. The Oilers win on an amazing 3rd period comeback, the winning goal with 1:06 left in regulation, and it also happened to be Steve Yzerman's last game.

game6quarters.png

edit: the actual most important game? The one where Igor Ulanov scored TWO goals in one game against the Calgary Flames. IGOOORRRRRRRRR! :P

I envy all of you.

All I got to see was a couple Pittsburgh Pirates game...and to this day HAVE NOT BEEN TO ONE THE TEAM WON.

(the kicker: actually I take that back...the only one I left from early, cuz they was down like 3 in the 9th, Freddy Sanchez hits a walk-off homer. Just my f*@^ing luck.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nolan Ryan's 7th No Hitter

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Game 7 of the 1987 World Series

Game 6 of the 1991 World Series - Kirby Puckett cleans the glass and wins it in extra innings with a home run

Game 7 of the 1991 World Series - Jack Morris pitches 10 shutout innings

1992 Indy 500 - Al Unser, Jr. beats Scott Goodyear by mere feet in the closest 500 ever and I was sitting at the finish line!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8uyH5Jzv0

1989 Indy 500 - Emerson Fittipaldi and Al Unser, Jr. crash fighting for the win at the end.

I was also sitting in the grandstand behind the pits right where this car stopped earlier the same day. Totally wild.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Not a ton for me to brag about.

Kirby Puckett's 6-for-6 day in Milwaukee (1987)

1991 ALCS Game 2 (Juan Guzman Shuts Down Twins)

The first Timberwolves regular season home game.

The last Wisconsin basketball game at the Field House

The first Wisconsin basketball game at the Kohl Center

The day Ron Dayne broke the all time D-I rushing record AND Wisconsin clinched an outright Big Ten title / Rose Bowl trip

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's my list:

• The last Twins night game at old Metropolitan Stadium in September 1981 (they lost to the Royals)
  • The first Twins game in the Metrodome in April 1982 (again, they lost, this time to the Mariners)
  • The U of M men's basketball team's Big Ten-clinching conference game in 1982 (there were no conference tournaments back then :) )
  • A 1984 Twins win vs. the White Sox on an inside-the-park home run by Tim Teufel
  • Game 2 of the 1987 ALCS vs. the Tigers (I even brought my Homer Hanky from that game to my high school's Homecoming game the following night; ironically, my high school's teams are also called the Tigers)
  • 1989 Minnesota state high school hockey tournament (one consolation semi and one state semi; this was when it was still a single all-state tournament)
  • The Lakers' first regular-season game in Minneapolis since moving to Los Angeles (in 1989 vs. the T'Wolves in their first NBA season)
  • The 1994 NCAA Division I men's hockey national championship game (Lake Superior St. defeated Boston University) at the old St. Paul Civic Center (since torn down and rebuilt as the Xcel Energy Center)
  • The 2004 Xmas eve Packers-Vikings game at the Metrodome...
  • ...and the playoff rematch two weeks later at Lambeau. (I couldn't have been more than 20 feet away from Randy Moss when he did his fake moon, but never saw it because of all the people in front of me who had gotten up to leave.)
  • Last but not least, last night I attended the National Lacrosse League's 1,000th regular season game in its history, at Xcel where the Colorado Mammoth beat my Minnesota Swarm 11-9.

CCSLC signature.png

I watched Kevin Brown 2-hit the Brewers in a doubleheader in 1998.

I saw Rickey Henderson's 3,000th hit which means I also saw Tony Gwynn's last game.

I was there for the last Padres home game at Qualcomm Stadium and their first home game at PETCO Park.

I watched Scott Brosius' go-ahead homer off Trevor Hoffman in Game 3 of the '98 World Series drop below me (had the front seat, dead centerfield, upper deck).

Watched the Padres win the NLCS live in 1998.

and for local news, I watched Ty Wigginton hit a game-winning home run off my best friend in little league. He played for the Chula Vista West Little League, Majors level, Astros team. Hated that dude until High School when I found out he's actually a good guy.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I was at:

-Tribe Game where the ball hit Jose Canseco on the head, then went over the fence for an Indian HR

-NY Jets at Cleveland 2OT Play-off Game in 1986

-USA vs. Switzerland in 1994 World Cup at Detroit

-Bills at Browns Playoff game in January of 1990 (Matthews Intercepts Kelly at 1 yard line

-Final Tribe Home Game at Cleveland Municipal Stadium

Not quite an "I was there" yet, it's a "I will be there." If the ECHL does allow Mario Forgione to make the Ice Pilots go dark, I will be there at their final game, April 7th. Here's to the league forcing him to stay when they have the meeting on the 4th. beerchug.gif

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I was at the WCHA Championship game this year, where Minnesota won in OT on a crazy goal... Sucked for me, cuz I'm a Sioux fan, but it was a great game anyway.

Also, I was at the Twins game last year where the Tigers had to lose in order for the Twins to win the division. We watched the Tiger game on the jumbotron, and when the Tigers lost, the Dome went nuts.

Not a whole lot else, really.

qvAvG.jpg

Not as many as I'd hoped (being 44 years old), but here's a few:

1976: Saw the GREAT Bill Walton-led Trail Blazers vs. the Pacers in Indianapolis. Portland won the Championship that season.

1979: Saw both Magic Johnson and Larry Bird play against Purdue that legendary season.

1980: Saw every home game for Purdue's eventual Final Four team.

1981: Saw Mark Aguirre's first ever game - a preseason game in Denton, Texas.

1988: Texas Stadium. Tom Landry's last game as coach.

198?: Arlington Stadium. Yankees vs. Rangers. Significant only because Billy Martin wasn't feeling well prior to the game and got an injection of some kind that punctured his lung. Had to go to the hospital.

1994: Last regular season game for the Bulls at Chicago Stadium.

2006: First ever game at University of Phoenix Stadium (Cardinals vs. Steelers).

I was at the final game in the AAA Edmonton Trappers history, which got rained out after a couple innings. Pretty sad.

But the biggest game I was at in my life... Game 6 of the 2006 Western Conference Quarterfinals. The Oilers win on an amazing 3rd period comeback, the winning goal with 1:06 left in regulation, and it also happened to be Steve Yzerman's last game.

game6quarters.png

edit: the actual most important game? The one where Igor Ulanov scored TWO goals in one game against the Calgary Flames. IGOOORRRRRRRRR! :P

I remember jumping a mile off the sofa when Hemsky put that one in.

Go (detroits opponent) Go!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived