Maybe it's because I turned 40...

wdm1219inpenna

EZ Street has a point. I mean, how lucky can the Royals get to be on ESPN on Opening Day? Granted, they are playing the Red Sox (Who isn't starting the Daisuke guy, but that's not gonna stop ESPN from whoring his name out all game long), but they get to be on TV.

As for me, I find it harder and harder every year to get excited about another Mariners season that'll go to waste after the first week of the season. It seems like after the Evil Empire screwed the Mariner nation of what should of been rightfully theirs in 2001, things have gone downhill. Now, everyone is saying that it's a mess and they'll lose 100 games. What's even worst is that the backbone of the current team, Ichiro, may leave at the end of the year or worst... Traded at the deadline if things start to flouder.

Now, I wonder if I should even care about baseball anymore. I know the M's are going to stink, so why should I care?

I am unable to get excited at all this year regarding the 2007 MLB opening day.

I don't know if it's because of a lack of salary cap

That doesn't make any sense at all. Baseball does not need a salary cap. How many times does it need to be said? "I can't get into baseball because there's no restriction on spending." Yeah, that makes sense.

the Evil Empire screwed the Mariner nation of what should of been rightfully theirs in 2001

Nobody's entitled to anything.

Bill, I think you have so many irons in the fire in your personal life that it makes it tough for you to truly be a fan of baseball, or anything else. And those personal things can be draining. I'm not going to tell you to lighten up because these are things you have to deal with. All I can do is say a prayer for you and your family and wish you good luck.

Now, everyone is saying that it's a mess and they'll lose 100 games. What's even worst is that the backbone of the current team, Ichiro, may leave at the end of the year or worst... Traded at the deadline if things start to flouder.

Bill Bavasi is a total and complete idiot. That is first and foremost. IDIOT. IDIOT with a capital ID.

Sadly, the Mariners made more profit last year than any year in their history, and yet they sent all season ticket holders a letter last year saying they were going with a "youth" movement and would not pursue big names, because they have such faith in our young players.

And remember the old "we don't want to mess up the chemistry" arguments they'd make every mid-season, when new acquisitions would have increased payroll?

It's a cheapskate organization that bilked us with their stadium and is keen to bilk us again. I remain a fan, because I love baseball, but the Mariners need a swift kick in the ass and not the "love fest" they get from local media.

Honestly the way the papers and TV stations fawn over the Mariners is disgusting.

EZ Street has a point. I mean, how lucky can the Royals get to be on ESPN on Opening Day? Granted, they are playing the Red Sox (Who isn't starting the Daisuke guy, but that's not gonna stop ESPN from whoring his name out all game long), but they get to be on TV.

As for me, I find it harder and harder every year to get excited about another Mariners season that'll go to waste after the first week of the season. It seems like after the Evil Empire screwed the Mariner nation of what should of been rightfully theirs in 2001, things have gone downhill. Now, everyone is saying that it's a mess and they'll lose 100 games. What's even worst is that the backbone of the current team, Ichiro, may leave at the end of the year or worst... Traded at the deadline if things start to flouder.

Now, I wonder if I should even care about baseball anymore. I know the M's are going to stink, so why should I care?

Hate to burst your bubble, Dustin, but the M's have always sucked (with the exception of '95). The only team that screwed the M's in '01 is the M's. Bavasi's an idiot, Ichiro will probably be gone by the end of the season, and they play in the worst division in baseball. Makes me long for the days of the Cruz connection and Bruce Bochte.

Sigh. What I would give to be able to go back in time and see the golden age of baseball.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Tell me something I don't know, Jim. I already know the Mariners have sucked as of late. I still long for the days when, you know, they were good. At least I have something to look foward to.

Now, it seems like it's gone to hell in a handbasket. The GM is a total chicken-:censored: who would rather use this 'Youth Movement' crap as an excuse to not get better players. The fans are probably getting close to the edge. Sometimes, I wonder if it would be better on a bandwagon somewhere....

Well the Mariners have Bettancourt and Lopez at least and they show genuine promise. Plus, there's no way Bavasi lasts after this season, so this might be "rock bottom", and now the only thing left is to climb out.

I think the Mariners should make a serious pitch to steal Mr. Moneyball from the Athletics. Imagine what Beane could do with a 100 million dollar payroll (not squander it on stiffs like Everett, Beltre and Sexson I bet).

It used to be about the game, what happened on the diamond. Now the games seem like an afterthought.

Sadly, I think the NFL is headed down the same road. With NFL Network blathering 24/7 about stuff that mostly irrelevant, games almost every night of the week, wall-to-wall coverage of the draft, Adam Schlefter getting more face time than Anna Nicole, off-field conduct, astronomical salaries, free agency redefining "team" as whatever bunch of mercenaries puts on the uniform in a particular season...I'm as big a pro football fan as you'll find, but it's getting to be a bit much.

Yes, the NFL is also very dangerously heading where MLB has gone. Pacman Jones' antics alone have really made it a thug league anymore, let alone the Cincinnati Bengals, trading their tiger stripes for prisoner uniform stripes. I agree the NFL Network is too much of a good thing, and frankly, I don't care to watch reruns of Pro-Bowl skills, or NFL Cheerleading competitions. I'd actually prefer to watch OLD games, be it regular season or playoff games, as they were broadcast, similar to their Super Bowls they did recently.

I think what really put this bee in my proverbial bonnet was meeting a living, breathing WWII veteran last month. I thanked him for his service, even though it was more than 20 years before I had even been born. He said how so many people have this sense of entitlement anymore. Pro athletes are like that, as are civilians it seems more and more. So-called "reality" shows seem to promote this type of attitude and it sickens me.

The NFL Network would be better if they didn't rerun their hourly program in reruns for 12 straight hours and didn't have on mindless crap.

As for the comment about a lot of irons in my fire, yes, that is true also, and undoubtedly contributes toward my current fluctuation of disgust and apathy.

I'm very pleased this thread received so many replies, most of which seem to concur if not support how I feel and why I feel as I do.

Gratefully,

Bill

Here's why I can't get excited...

I will be working when the Pirates play.

The Pirates suck ass.

They will be eliminated from playoff contention by the end of the week.

The weather is going to have snow and the 40s here by Wed.

The Pirates can lose close to, if not, 100 games...again.

The Pens are doing well.

Football is a better product and the draft is more entertaining than watching the Pirates.

The Pirates have red uniforms.

There are roughly 30 practice games, 162 regular season games, and then 20 playoff games. Get real.

Im with ya buddy.

*sigh* I hate living with a has-been fanchise.

oBIgzrL.png

Pittsburgh deserves a quality baseball team, for the support they've given the Pirates in the midst of this rough stretch. They might make a run this year.

They might make a run this year.

You're joking, right? Maybe if it rains out the rest of the season and we stay undefeated. :P

Pittsburgh deserves a quality baseball team, for the support they've given the Pirates in the midst of this rough stretch.

That, I agree with 100%

KISSwall09.jpg

listen to yourselves. pitiful.

have you heard about the rule changes for 2008?

-all teams except for the original 8 in each league will be contracted

-all players will receive $1 million.

-no player will have walk-up music, personal endorsements, their name on the back of their jersey, nor will they be able to speak to the press.

-all uniform codes will be enforced.

-all the stadiums will be demolished to create exactly the same dimensions in each park

-all teams will wear white jerseys at home with the nickname spelled out across the chest. all away uniforms will be gray with the place name across the chest

-only American players will be able to take the field in 08.

just because your teams suck (hey I'm a Royals fan) and you choose to believe the experts and their predictions, doesn't mean you should become a fairweather BASEBALL fan.

reading baseball articles in January and February are meaningless, but without them you and I would be a lot less excited about the season.

THE ROYALS BEAT CURT SCHILLING - just in case no one caught the game yesterday

Know anything about the Cuban baseball league?

-no player will have walk-up music, personal endorsements, their name on the back of their jersey, nor will they be able to speak to the press.

I'd vote for that one...

I would rather have it the other way :D

We have no control over anything in sports, the only thing that makes sense when following sports is to adapt to whatever the news is. Change is necessary and is the only sure thing in all of history. Do you go with the changing stripe pattern on the Canadiens new jersey? Yes, you want your team to stay exactly how it has been since the moment that you decided that you liked baseball. But, how would (will) my Kansas City Chiefs react when they are forced to change their nickname? Will they sputter into future eras or possibly change their name to the...Kansas City Fire Chiefs (with which they could create a much better team persona with much better marketing capabilitie$ and...new uniforms! Yeah i know great idea right!)

What I'm saying: quit being so much like your dad.

Go Royals - my hometown team. i had a teddy bear that wore a royals cap and nothing else. Grrrrrr :wacko:

Been a Pirate fan since 1969....in 1971 my Dad said get in the car....so I did.....well we drove to Baltimore for the first game of the series....the Bucs lost.....and I was heart broken.....well the series went to game seven and my Dad had tickets...well he was in the Army and got a call to cover another soldiers post...so I watched the game on T.V. with my Mom...it was a disappointment not to be there....after all how many people...muchless a ten year old kid have had the chance to be at the seventh game of a World series ?...anyway I think Clemente hit a dinger in the game...and Ill never forget the last inning with Blass pitching....three years later we had a team in the Carolina league....the Peninsula Pennants...well the Bucs had the Salem Pirates in the league and we would go to all their matchups.....one night me and a couple of friends were getting auto graphs on balls....well I still have that ball...with the sigs of John Candleria.....and several other players that tore up the league that year....one of which was becoming an Idol of mine.....Alfredo Edmead...what speed he had.....he died that year in a collision with a team member......he reminded me so much of Clemente....and he was only 18....well 1979 the last Crown....the good years with Leyland at the helm...so many memories.....well now the team is having some tough times...maybe things will change in a few years....maybe not....but untill then Ive been doing the reverse pennant race....and The Pirates pulled it out last year....they didnt finish last....well...just thought I would share some memories from an Old Timer..................

Puckhead 42

Archived