Red Wings in Red in Columbus

jman077

Today, the Red Wings and the Blue Jackets were wearing the colors hockey teams are supposed to wear. That is, the Wings were wearing red on the road and the Jackets were wearing white. As we know, the NHL has it wrong and makes teams wear their darks at home. Anyone know why they were wearing reversed jerseys? Is it because the game was on NBC? Do they always do it for in-division games? Pictures:

capt.937c5d7f617b4e5484da010d844020f4.red_wings_blue_jackets_hockey_ohjl102.jpg

capt.07adc493c615432890c965c0074c2761.red_wings_blue_jackets_hockey_ohjl101.jpg

I know its not such a great pic, but the word Ohio is in it, showing that the game was clearly in Columbus.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

It is so tantalizing to see these occasional games with the home team in whites. And encouraging.

Yet, every time the topic comes up, the rumor of a return to this practice is invariably shot down. I wish the NHL would make a definitive statement concerning this.

The Blue Jackets do that from time to time because they "just feel like it". There is no other reason and yet everytime it happens there is a thread about it. I've seen them wear white at home during games that weren't on NBC, or during the day, or on Sunday.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It is so tantalizing to see these occasional games with the home team in whites. And encouraging.

Yet, every time the topic comes up, the rumor of a return to this practice is invariably shot down. I wish the NHL would make a definitive statement concerning this.

I keep hearing that they'll return it to normal with the release of the EDGE jerseys. I have yet to hear it shot down.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Last article I read was that they were switching back to Home Whites and Road Dark jerseys.

That was back in January - only time will tell. I have not seen anything that has confirmed this in the last two months.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I keep hearing that they'll return it to normal with the release of the EDGE jerseys. I have yet to hear it shot down.

It has been shot down. The NHL won't be returning to white at home for the 2007-2008 season.

Given that almost every alternate is a dark sweater dark at home just makes more sense then white at home.

What do you mean "return it to normal"? The NHL has worn dark at home for most of its existence. If anything they "returned it to normal" when they made the switch back to darks at home in 2003-2004.

If I remember correctly those were all rumors. Also if I remember correctly Paul Lukas back when the edge uniforms were unveiled said that the league stated that dark at home would remain. Which again makes sense considering the 3rd jersey problem would just come up again when they are reintroduced in a few years. No sense of changing if you are going to have to switch back in a few years.

Wouldn't it also make sense that they are staying with dark at home, since last I heard, next season only dark jerseys will be avaliable for sale? With 30 new designs to produce, RBK is cutting their workload in half and only doing dark jerseys for sale, which to me would indicate that dark would stay as the home color, so the fans could match.

SEAsig.png

Wouldn't it also make sense that they are staying with dark at home, since last I heard, next season only dark jerseys will be avaliable for sale? With 30 new designs to produce, RBK is cutting their workload in half and only doing dark jerseys for sale, which to me would indicate that dark would stay as the home color, so the fans could match.

Where did you hear this?

Where did you hear this?

IIRC it was reported that only dark athentics would be sold. All the replicas would be white with screen-printed logos and no shoulder crests.

They should do what some minor league and junior leagues do: white at home until all-star break, then darks at home for the last half of the season.

The home fans get to see both unis., and presumably the teams will sell more sweaters because the home fans will see both and want both.

fade.gif

They should do what some minor league and junior leagues do: white at home until all-star break, then darks at home for the last half of the season.

The home fans get to see both unis., and presumably the teams will sell more sweaters because the home fans will see both and want both.

That wouldn't work. Switching mid-season would be confusing enough, and the fact that teams will wear alternates at home during the "white at home" half would just muck things up further.

When it's all said and done darks at home is the most logical option.

Dark jerseys at home was the tradition, i love it how people whine and know nothing about the history of the NHL.

Word.

White at home = Boring

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived