Herb Carneal

Joshawaggie

There are literally 3 radio stations that talked about nothing but him all afternoon here in Minneapolis. THREE. That should tell you what an institution and class gentlemen he really was.

He had a smooth voice and reserved style that is from a bygone era. About two years ago I felt like he was getting that "old man voice", but last year I remarked to a friend just how good he was sounding. Unlike many others, his skills never, ever deteriorated so he became a caricature of himself or turned into even anything resembling an old buffoon. He was just good ol' Herb Carneal right to the end.

When you think of Herb, you think of how he called the games and just described the action without mistakes. Plain and simple.

What makes it worse is when I think of his broadcast partner for the last 19 years I think of calls of "Home run!!! Oh. He caught it." or wedging commericals for Cambria Countertops into home run calls. Mistakes and distractions. 19 years, and I still haven't warmed up to him!

One last comment - Herb deserves a commemorative patch on the Twins jerseys this year. After 46 years of faithful service deserves no less.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I was never big on listening to baseball on the radio, but as a Minnesota native and lifelong Twins fan, I certainly had occasion to hear Herb. I always thought he did a good job. He'll be missed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Update: I wrote to the Twins President, Dave St. Peter and got the following response - within 12 minutes!

"Thanks for the note. Yes, the Twins will memorialize Herb Carneal with a

uniform patch throughout the 2007 season. We will wear a temporary patch

during the coming days with a more permanent patch being in the mix soon

down the road. Thanks again for your support of Twins baseball."

I have to say I'm impressed with the response time and pleased with the reaction I got.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Update: I wrote to the Twins President, Dave St. Peter and got the following response - within 12 minutes!

"Thanks for the note. Yes, the Twins will memorialize Herb Carneal with a

uniform patch throughout the 2007 season. We will wear a temporary patch

during the coming days with a more permanent patch being in the mix soon

down the road. Thanks again for your support of Twins baseball."

I have to say I'm impressed with the response time and pleased with the reaction I got.

JeffB

A very good decision, even if it was a no-brainer.

CCSLC signature.png

I had the pleasure of interviewing Herb Carneal when I was working at a newspaper in western North Dakota and went to a Twins game. Not only was he a great broadcaster, but a truly great guy. Very much a gentleman. Just a class act.

I remember telling him that I remember him being introduced by Halsey Hall and starting off by saying, in his friendly voice, "Well thank you, Halsey, and hi everybody ..." He laughed and started telling stories about Halsey. For those who haven't heard of Halsey Hall or about him, he was a longtime Twin Cities broadcaster who was known for his cigars, bringing along miniatures of whiskey on road trips and his great stories. Kind of a Harry Carey, Twin Cities style, before the rest of the country got to know Harry Carey.

Herb Carneal was a giant of baseball broadcasting with a similar style to Vin Scully (in my opinion). It's so sad to see him leave this world.

Somewhere Up There, Herb, Halsey and Ray Scott are probably together again, calling Twins games for Twins fans who have also gone on to a better place.

I don't know if they are going to go with something more specific, like white "HC" initials in a black circle, but they started opening day with black arm bands.

armband.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Archived