Cubs on the Market

AHcreative

The Cubs are going to be sold at the end of the 2007 season.

Here's the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-t...p&type=lgns

The Tribune Company, as a whole, just got sold off to a real estate developer, Sam Zell. Zell also owns a piece of the White Sox, so more or less, Zell/Tribune have to sell off the Cubs, especially if wants to keep his stake in the White Sox ownership. The Trib has been in selling mode over the last year or two; they just sold off three of their television stations (Boston, Atlanta, and Albany, New York) and had plan to sell off the Los Angeles Times.

I want Mark Cuban to buy the Cubs. He's a great owner with the Mavs, and I think he could get the Cubs back to winning. Other options that I heard mentioned were Bill Murray and Jerry Coangelo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not a Cubs fan, but care about them since my mom was a devout Cubbie fan, though turned towards the Brewers living in Milwaukee. I'd love to see Bill Murray take over the team. He has a passion for the franchise that would make any Cub fan happy. He is baseball schooled being a fan. That would scare me as a Brewer fan, but I welcome competition. If Cuban takes over, that would be kinda cool as well. If you are a Cub's fan, it could be GREAT, look at the passion for his one team now! Or it could be kinda bad, which team does he put more effort into?

packchampionslfroh.png

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Tuesday, April 3rd, 2007 - 00:19:26)

I want Mark Cuban to buy the Cubs. He's a great owner with the Mavs, and I think he could get the Cubs back to winning. Other options that I heard mentioned were Bill Murray and Jerry Coangelo.

I want Mark Cuban to buy the Cubs, then trade franchises with that dumbass McClatchy in Pittsburgh.

The number I hear floating around to buy the team is $600 million. Murray doesn't have it, Colangelo would have to borrow it. Someone will step forward though - and depending on who it is, the Cubs may just get that WS win they've been waiting, what, 99 years for?

nav-logo.png

Why not each CCSLC member contributing with $1 and all we will buy that franchise?

The dream of every kid: owning a baseball team!!!

:lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The number I hear floating around to buy the team is $600 million.

That's a steal. This club is going to cost a billion dollars. I'm all but certain that the real estate at Clark and Addison will be included. It'll take a consortium of millionaires to buy the team. Maybe Bill Murray, Steve Stone, Jerry Colangelo, and more can all team up to buy the Cubs.

This whole thing feels weird. The Tribune hasn't really done a bang-up job of winning in their 28 years of ownership, but I feel good knowing the team has local ownership. It's been either the Wrigley family or the Chicago Tribune since what, 1918 or so? Then again, as that one Orioles sig reminds us all, local ownership could also mean Bill Wirtz. Pass.

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Tuesday, April 3rd, 2007 - 00:19:26)

"Back to winning," lol.

But yeah, if someone does buy the Cubs...then they are gonna basically turn into Yankees-lite.

"Back to winning," lol.

But yeah, if someone does buy the Cubs...then they are gonna basically turn into Yankees-lite.

It was only 99 years ago.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Billy B @ Tuesday, April 3rd, 2007 - 00:19:26) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

"Back to winning," lol.

Yeah, ha ha. :rolleyes:

But, in all seriousness, the pre 1946 history of this franchise is second to none...

Consider; from 1906-1945 (a 39 year period) the Cubs won 10 pennants (one every 4 years or so) and 2 World Series titles (not to mention the 6 NL titles pre AL/NL merger). They also averaged 87.4 wins (in the 152 game season era) over that stretch, with 5 100 win campaigns (including the best ever winning percentage - the 1906 Cubs at 116-36 a .763 win% - much better than Seattle's .716 win% 116-46 season).

So, scoff all you want at the "back to winning" comment. I'll continue to take pride in the accomplishments of the Cubs pre-1946.

Moose

And no, I don't care at all that I wasn't around to see them. Most of you likely weren't around for 20 of the 26 World Series the Yankees have won, but will take credit for those as fans...

Just to play Devil's advocate....the "Yankees" approach has sunk over a billion dollars in payroll (I'm pretty sure its that cumulatively) for nada in the championship department since 2000. Also, its not like the Cubs weren't spending money before.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Billy B @ Tuesday, April 3rd, 2007 - 00:19:26) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

"Back to winning," lol.

Yeah, ha ha. :rolleyes:

But, in all seriousness, the pre 1946 history of this franchise is second to none...

Consider; from 1906-1945 (a 39 year period) the Cubs won 10 pennants (one every 4 years or so) and 2 World Series titles (not to mention the 6 NL titles pre AL/NL merger). They also averaged 87.4 wins (in the 152 game season era) over that stretch, with 5 100 win campaigns (including the best ever winning percentage - the 1906 Cubs at 116-36 a .763 win% - much better than Seattle's .716 win% 116-46 season).

So, scoff all you want at the "back to winning" comment. I'll continue to take pride in the accomplishments of the Cubs pre-1946.

Moose

And no, I don't care at all that I wasn't around to see them. Most of you likely weren't around for 20 of the 26 World Series the Yankees have won, but will take credit for those as fans...

Just remember the Yankees started as the Baltimore Orioles.

This should be good for the Cubs, a new owner could spend some money and mabye a championship.

saBS.png

We've spent and failed. I don't want the Cubs to be watered-down Yankees, I want them to be ramped-up Twins. Build the team with homegrown talent from the bottom up, but have the money to make FA signings here and there just in case. You can't go on building teams through free agency, which is intrinsically flawed and doomed to failure.

We've spent and failed. I don't want the Cubs to be watered-down Yankees, I want them to be ramped-up Twins. Build the team with homegrown talent from the bottom up, but have the money to make FA signings here and there just in case. You can't go on building teams through free agency, which is intrinsically flawed and doomed to failure.

Well under that scenario Peoria would get better players and might actually succeed in the playoffs and be worth watching...NO! NO! *slaps self* DO NOT SELL OUT TO THE CUBS AFFILIATE! YOU ARE A CARDINALS FAN AND MISS HAVING THEIR PLAYERS! RESIST!! *slaps self again*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived