Political correctness

CubsFanBudMan

I know these are never the most popular threads, but these are a couple changes that slipped under my radar...

Elon College changed from the Fighting Christians to the Phoenix.

And Hofstra switched from the Flying Dutchmen to the Pride.

So I guess it's not just Native American names that are under fire after all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, Hofstra still has teams that go by the name Flying Dutchmen, and around the campus, people definantly prefer that name. If you go to a Hofstra home game, you will see many signs protesting the name Pride in favor of Flying Dutchmen. According to SI, they are the Hofstra Pride/Flying Dutchmen.

I believe most of the teams that change to become more PC are missing the boat. I don't find anything particularly offensive about Dutchmen. It's representative of a culture and people, not anything used to degrade. There are other teams named after words that have been enacted specifically to be derrogatory. Their origins are derrogatory. Those are the teams that should be worried about a name change, and I am not choosing sides on this at all. I am just saying it will be a financially driven change becuse it all has to do with what the federal government will allow to be trademarked.

As for Elon College, I am not sure about the situation prompting the change, but you may find that they changed their name from the Flying Christians for financial reasons also. If they were in need of some government funding, they had to change. There would be challenges to the funding otherwise because it represents a violation of separation of Church and State.

i kno the reason why hostra had the dutchman b/c long island was originally founded by the dutch (thus the isles colors blue and orange and the cop cars are blue and oragne b/c thats the flag color of the netherlands) i also dont see wuts wrong with the name the "FLYING DUTCHMAN" but i guess ppl complained...who knows who cares
untitled-1.png

Wow, I hadn't heard of the Flying Dutchman changing.  I completely agree that is going a little too far.  I can understand some teams chaning from Indian names, but there was nothing wrong with Hofstra's name.  While everyone is at it, why don't we just change every team that has anything to do with cultural roots.  No more Boston Celtics, Minnesota Vikings, or San Diego Padres.  Oh, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers promote violence, so we can't have that anymore.  Pretty soon every team will be named after either an animal (Tigers, very original) or some stupid name that sounds cool for a week (Pride).  Hofstra obviously wasn't very proud of their cultural roots, so what are they trying to be proud of?  Selling out?
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

you know in the early 90s around here, a lot of schools enforced as part of thier dress codes that nobody is allowed to wear at the time Los Angeles Raiders paraphenelia (sp?) because it was associated with gang violence. Of course, after they moved back to Oakland, its okay once again.

Most of the school policies against wearing specific sports apparel I understand, even though it seems awfully restrictive of individual liberties. This was at a time when inner city gang violence was at an all time high, and most of it could be traced back to the specific team or color an individual was wearing. Certain gangs wore certain gear, and a kid could have easily been mistaken for a member. Add on the fact that kids were getting maimed and killed for their Air Jordans. I believe school districts implemented dress codes in an attempt to curb the violence within school premises. There is a certain legal liability they were trying to avoid with such policies.

As for the change from Fighting Christians, I actually agree with this decision. I would say its on par with the decision to remove the Ten Commandments monument in the Alabama courthouse. For laws to be legitimate, they have to be enforced at all levels, including something as minor as a team moniker. Rather than deal with the endless litigation a variety of religious groups would have embarked to block any funding to the college, they probably decided to take the high road. Also, if you visit their website, they have an elaborate plan to transform the complete image of the college. I suppose this is part of the plan.

As for the "Flying Dutchmen", the only problem I can imagine is that some would feel there is a slight insinuation that Dutchmen are always stoned. I dont get it either.

I remember that right after the name change, the announcers and broadcasters still called them the Flying Dutchmen. They are called the Pride now, but on ESPN a couple years a go, i remember seeing a Hofstra game and they announced them as the Hofstra Pride/Flying Dutchmen

As for the change from Fighting Christians, I actually agree with this decision. I would say its on par with the decision to remove the Ten Commandments monument in the Alabama courthouse. For laws to be legitimate, they have to be enforced at all levels, including something as minor as a team moniker. Rather than deal with the endless litigation a variety of religious groups would have embarked to block any funding to the college, they probably decided to take the high road. Also, if you visit their website, they have an elaborate plan to transform the complete image of the college. I suppose this is part of the plan.

How is "Fighting Christians" innapropriate. Now we cant even say "Christian" on a college campus. and a private christian college at that! political correctness must die. next the Notre Dame Fightin Irish will have to change. what about all the people who have been mauled by bears, tigers, or sharks? what if they are offended. Completly insane

Azzuri.gif

Seperation of Church and State, when put into the constitution, was ment to make sure that the Church did not use the government as a puppet, as had happend in europe.

The problem now is that the ultra-liberal moron had decided that what the founding fathers REALLY ment was that anything even remotly religious can not be viewd, heard, or spokent at, near, or by a goverment building or official.

It makes me wanna puke. Leave the ten commandment on the courthouse! thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bang thy neighbors wife...these are bad things? these are things that should not be taught?

"well, yes you honor, he did kill that man, but he was never taught not to kill anyone because his parents and liberal teachers thought it was offensive and would violate seperation of church and state."

I know this is a sports board, but it seems to methat sports and politics are getting more and more intertwined, and that is NOT good.....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't believe anyone said anything about "Christian" being politically incorrect. However, "Fighting Christians" refers to one particular religious affiliation, and if this particular school wanted to cash in on government funding, they probably took the initial steps to avoid any preclusion against such funding by removing the moniker and replacing it with a religiously neutral moniker. Thus its not really about being politically correct more than its a legal strategy the school is using. Obviously, the institution is trying to make itself an attractive university for a wider variety of students. I am currently enrolled at a private Methodist university (SMU) and pay an a$$load for tuition because there is no such government funding, and high tuition rates surely prevent diversity at such college campuses. Compare SMU with a school like UT and you will see the difference in student diversity.

In other words, no one forced Elon into changing its name. The board of directors likely accepted the change as an inevitable consequence to implement their plan.

As for the ten commandments monument, the court ruled that it wasnt the substance that was troubling, but its reference to one particular religion. The court system in this country is founded on equality, and allowing such symbols of religious affiliation in a court house violates that equality. The best way to maintain the equality is to refrain from any absolute endorsements for any particular religion. The judicial system, by the way, has always prided itself on taking the unpopular minority viewpoint.

As for the ten commandments monument, the court ruled that it wasnt the substance that was troubling, but its reference to one particular religion. The court system in this country is founded on equality, and allowing such symbols of religious affiliation in a court house violates that equality. The best way to maintain the equality is to refrain from any absolute endorsements for any particular religion. The judicial system, by the way, has always prided itself on taking the unpopular minority viewpoint.

The ten commandments are the basis of law in the Jewish, Catholic, and muslim world

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

(thus the isles colors blue and orange and the cop cars are blue and oragne b/c thats the flag color of the netherlands)

Have you seen the flag of The Netherlands?  There's not a drop of orange in there   :cool:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

ive always wondered why do dutch national sports teams use orange?

despite the fact that the Netherlands have a Red, White and Blue flag, their national color is Orange b/c of thier first King, William of Orange. sometimes the national color is diferent than the flag, kinda like australias national teams wear green and gold despte thier flag being red white and blue, or the itallians wear blue instead of red, white and green..

Azzuri.gif

Archived