Political correctness

CubsFanBudMan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two things: one, isn't a Flying Dutchman a ship.  I don't think anyone ever mentioned that.  Two, is for Random: Conservatives are killing the country.  The Liberals are the only ones that can save it from the crapper.  But that's totally off topic.

(thus the isles colors blue and orange and the cop cars are blue and oragne b/c thats the flag color of the netherlands)

Have you seen the flag of The Netherlands?  There's not a drop of orange in there   :cool:

Random beat me to it, but here is the reason:

The Dutch tricolour was first used in the second half of the 16th century when the Dutch provinces revolted against Spain. Their leader was Prince William of Orange. The flag was named "Prinsenvlag" ("Princeflag") after him. At first the flag was orange-white-blue, but later the orange stripe became red. It is rumored the stripe became red by either the textile taking on too much of a red apperance, or the decreasing popularity of Prince William of Orange's reign.

The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands was established in 1581, but did not include the Southern Netherlands (nowadays Belgium and Luxembourg, which were united with the Netherlands 1815-1830). After the Eighty Years' War independence was recognised by Spain in 1648.

nl.gif

the national flag of the Netherlands

nl-princ.gif

the national flag of the Netherlands under William of Orange (note the blue is a lighter color as well

ive always wondered why do dutch national sports teams use orange?

despite the fact that the Netherlands have a Red, White and Blue flag, their national color is Orange b/c of thier first King, William of Orange. sometimes the national color is diferent than the flag, kinda like australias national teams wear green and gold despte thier flag being red white and blue, or the itallians wear blue instead of red, white and green..

The light blue is the color of Savoia. It was used for the previous President's flag (blue with the coat-of-arms of the Republic in gold).

That blue colour is the livery colour of the House of Savoy, and therefore for the Kings of Italy 1861-1946.

interesting note, the italian hockey team does have red white, and green striping on thier predominently blue road jerseys, so the red-white-green isnt completely absent from thier national team's gear. In fact, this is a flag seen being waved by Italian fans at Eurocup 2000 (soccer of course)

it@e2000.gif

the three blue stars apparently represent the three world cup championships that Italy holds.

another interesting note: Mexico adopted the green-white-red tricolor in 1823, and Italy adopted these colors in 1848. Therefore it was Mexico's flag before it was Italy's

:D Mexico had to add the national seal after 1848 in order to avoid confusion though.

I am not absolutely sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that the reason for Elon dropping the nickname Fighting Christians (also one of my favorites) is that they felt that they were losing too many potential applicants that thought that Elon was a very conservative Christian university with rules against drinking, dancing, movies and the like.

• 3 years later...
<font color='#000000'>Wow, I hadn't heard of the Flying Dutchman changing.  I completely agree that is going a little too far.  I can understand some teams chaning from Indian names, but there was nothing wrong with Hofstra's name.  While everyone is at it, why don't we just change every team that has anything to do with cultural roots.  No more Boston Celtics, Minnesota Vikings, or San Diego Padres.  Oh, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers promote violence, so we can't have that anymore.  Pretty soon every team will be named after either an animal (Tigers, very original) or some stupid name that sounds cool for a week (Pride).  Hofstra obviously wasn't very proud of their cultural roots, so what are they trying to be proud of?  Selling out?</font>

I have to say that the Washington football club and the San Diego baseball club would be the worst offenders in a list of Politically Incorrect names.

I believe the Padres is partially Anti-Semitist since some of the monks they are named after killed a bunch of Jews and other Non-Catholics in the Spanish Inquisition. Also, when Father Serra came to California, a lot of Kumeyaay natives were forced to give up their ancient traditions, rituals and morals in favor of Christianity, basically to the brink of all out genocide.

I'm also convinced that George Preston Marshall, founder of the Washington Redskins, was a down right racist. He adopted the name, originally as a term of endearment for his part-Sioux head coach Lone Star Deitz. On the side, Mr. Marshall talked a lot of trash about African Americans, going far enough to support the NFL's temporary color barrier in the 50's.

Just in case anybody is searching for Redskins information and comes in here...

Marshall originally named the team the Braves when they played at the baseball Braves' park. They moved to Fenway after a year or two, and stuck with a lot of Indian-themed gear, Marshall used another Indian title - "Redskins" They took the name to Washington.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

for whatever the reason this thread became relevant again, i'm baffled by why flying dutchman was taken down? if memory serves me correct, wasn't the flying dutchman a pirate on a ghost ship that according to sealore that haunted seamen that set sail at sea?

my question is why would this be offensive to anyone, the flying dutchman far as i know didn't have religious connotations. it certainly doesn't promote a religion, heck the flying dutchman is in the cartoon Spongebob Squarepants, so if its safe for spongebob, shouldn't it be safe for college? unless i'm missing something here.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

my question is why would this be offensive to anyone, the flying dutchman far as i know didn't have religious connotations.

I think the change from Dutchmen came about because the name is Euro-centric and male and is not representative of everyone in the Hofstra community.

There was a similar movement in the early '90s at UMass where some bozo wanted the university to abandon the Minutemen nickname, because it indicates "white males." I think Minutemen had a little more staying power since they, you know, began the fight for America's independence.

my question is why would this be offensive to anyone, the flying dutchman far as i know didn't have religious connotations.

I think the change from Dutchmen came about because the name is Euro-centric and male and is not representative of everyone in the Hofstra community.

There was a similar movement in the early '90s at UMass where some bozo wanted the university to abandon the Minutemen nickname, because it indicates "white males." I think Minutemen had a little more staying power since they, you know, began the fight for America's independence.

ah the evil european male. we can't celebrate and promote the evil european male can we. :P (sarcasm)

dutch.jpg

though judging from the picture, he seems to be of a more greenish glowing ghost.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I don't think this is a case of political correctness here. It doesn't appear if any liberals, Christians, and/or the Dutch have complained. It does look like both schools wanted to do some rebranding. Both school traded in their sillier nicknames in favor of something a little more marketable (much like a certain formerly "mighty" NHL team).

The Fighting Christians became the Phoenix at the same time it became a NCAA division 1 school. The Flying Dutchmen have unofficially been know as the Pride since 1987 when the school adopted 2 lions as their mascot. It looks to me like this is a question of marketability rather than political correctness.

There isn't a team name on earth that wouldn't somehow offend someone. I'm not saying to open the flood gates and just allow every name that people come up with.

If a team is going to represent an entire group of people, let those people vote on accepting that name with ratification coming with a 3/4 majority vote. Why not? Can't come up with a team name? Then just go by the name of the group that is represented.

In fact, what's this great need for team nicknames anyways? Why the need for "Fighting Irish"? Why not just say Notre Dame? Are there so many Notre Dames in NCAA football that people might get confused? Most people refer to them by names which the FCC won't allow on TV anyways.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

If "Flying Dutchmen" needs to be replaced, then why haven't Irish people raised hell about the "Celtics" or "Fighting Irish"?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Wow, what a shock to find my name as the starter of this topic... I can't say for sure, but I might have been joking 3 1/2 years ago when I referenced these as "PC" changes. I learned long ago to stay away from those topics here.

This appears to be from very early in this version of the forum's existence and although it's commendable that a search was performed and the topic revived instead of just starting a new post (so many people have been criticized for not doing that), I think after a few years some of these threads might be out of context.

Archived