Political correctness

CubsFanBudMan

I think after a few years some of these threads might be out of context.

Not to mention boring. I think all that needs to be said about this topic has been said.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the Padres is partially Anti-Semitist since some of the monks they are named after killed a bunch of Jews and other Non-Catholics in the Spanish Inquisition. Also, when Father Serra came to California, a lot of Kumeyaay natives were forced to give up their ancient traditions, rituals and morals in favor of Christianity, basically to the brink of all out genocide.

Give me a break. If you want to eliminate nicknames that have anything to do with groups that caused harm to other people, there is a long list of those that will have to go:

Patriots - Out. They did some harm to the natives living in the future United States.

Vikings - Out. They messed up a LOT of people over the years.

Pirates - Out.

Royals - Out. Monarchies have been at the root of the slaughter of millions of people in the past thousands of years.

Rangers - Out. Let's see, they are technically a police force, but they are no doubt guilty of racial profiling.

Angels - Out. Not usually harmful, but there is a Christian implication there, and the Crusades were a bad thing.

Phillies - Out. A Phillie is someone who lives in Philadelphia, right? And we all know how rude and nasty they are.

Giants - Out. Just ask anyone who was squished by Andre the Giant.

Packers - Out. Those union guys do some mean things sometimes. Just ask Jimmy Hoffa.

And it goes on and on.

If you want to stretch things out like that, I guess that we should also ban Tigers, Bears, Panthers and every other animal that may have eaten or otherwise harmed a human at some point in history.

To avoid this bid mess, we must demand that team names either be abolished altogether in favor of, for example, "New York National League Baseball Club." The future of our society depends on it.

Every time this topic comes up, someone thinks himself clever and then posts a stupid list about how every professional team name can be deemed offensive to someone. Clearly, this person failed to read the entire topic before posting. He may have realized that "Political correctness" -- according to the topic author -- was a misnomer, and kind of a tounge-in-cheek jab at how a school wishing to change its identity can be overblown. Overblow, of course, by anti-PC crusaders like this guy.

It's tired, lame, and basically done. If you think you have something extra to add to the PC "debate" and your addition is a super-funny list of hyperbole, chances are you should probably just save your time and keep it to yourself.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Every time this topic comes up, someone thinks himself clever and then posts a stupid list about how every professional team name can be deemed offensive to someone. Clearly, this person failed to read the entire topic before posting. He may have realized that "Political correctness" -- according to the topic author -- was a misnomer, and kind of a tounge-in-cheek jab at how a school wishing to change its identity can be overblown. Overblow, of course, by anti-PC crusaders like this guy.

It's tired, lame, and basically done. If you think you have something extra to add to the PC "debate" and your addition is a super-funny list of hyperbole, chances are you should probably just save your time and keep it to yourself.

As you are unequivocally the most brilliant and insightful contributor to this board, I will be certain to run any potential future posts by you first, so as not to risk sullying the board with my inanity.

You are a god to me.

As you are unequivocally the most brilliant and insightful contributor to this board, I will be certain to run any potential future posts by you first, so as not to risk sullying the board with my inanity.

You are a god to me.

I'm glad you saw the light.

Actually, there is still plenty of room on this thread for making lists. Everyone (except me) had a great time with it and you can go through plenty of inane posts with all kinds of crazy lists see how just how funny it is. No, really.

If you get bored, you can also check out this one.

Or this one

Or even even this one.

Honestly, seriously, definitively...it's been done. Over and over.

You are a god to me.

I'm glad you saw the light.

Actually, there is still plenty of room on this thread for making lists. Everyone (except me) had a great time with it and you can go through plenty of inane posts with all kinds of crazy lists see how just how funny it is. No, really.

If you get bored, you can also check out this one.

Or this one

Or even this one.

Honestly, seriously, definitively...it's been done. Over and over.

Yet you believe that "deez nuts" is the paragon of humor and remains funny in perpetuity? Aim for some consistency before you mercilessly rip into others, genius.

better yet, why don't we as a society grow a pair of balls and stop wringing our hands over every little thing that maybe offensive to some nutcase out there.

this group is offended by this, this group is offended by that, somebody is offended by that logo, and this logo offends some nut in the Adirondacks. then we got to take this down and we got to take that down, can't fly this flag and you can't fly that flag, and you can't display this and you can't display that.

gee, learn some damn tolerance and diversity.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Both these school changed their nicknames due to marketing reasons. Fighting Christians was because the team was going into Division 1 and they wanted to less goofy name that might help them get more respect and sell more merchandise (ala the Anaheim Ducks).

The Flying Dutchmen looked as if they just wanted to rebrand, get rid of a goofy name, and get one that made more sense. The school had unofficially been known as the Pride since the late 80s. They have lions as their mascots and have lions on their school crest since well before the name change.

If you go poke around on the websites for these schools you can find this information. Or you can go back a few posts where I mentioned this. Or you can go back a couple of post after that where the person who started this topic said he meant it in sarcasm. Or you can pretend none of these posts exists and keep posting about how liberals are going to eliminate all nicknames that aren't cuddly animals. Whatever you do, please stop blaming liberal Dutch Christians. Thanks you. :flagusa:

Or you can go back a couple of post after that where the person who started this topic said he meant it in sarcasm.

Yes, and again... it was almost FOUR years ago this was posted. Let it die (I'll do my part and not post to this thread again.)

You know, recently, I went to see that film C.S.A., which was a pseudo-documentary about the history of the Confederate States of America. On a brief part about the sports world, in which Canada, holding the descendants of tens of thousands escaped slaves, always defeated the C.S.A. in the Olympics.

Yet after that, in a unique matchup with the CSFL, one of the teams was, offensively, called the New York N******s. In a weird sense, if you think about it, if things went a little more tolerably, imagine if that word was accepted on the same level as the term Redskins.

Just throwing that out there. P.C. is very ridiculous at times, yet it is interesting to see what is more offensive to others and what is more accepted. We're pioneers yet we're hypocrites. It's a tricky, tricky topic.

However, I do feel that people picking and choosing what is acceptable for us is just another form of intolerance and control. Actually check with Indians and Native Americans and Christians and 10th century Gaelic warriors if they find it acceptable.

GR30a5H.png

<font color='#000000'>ive always wondered why do dutch national sports teams use orange?</font>

<font color='#000000'>despite the fact that the Netherlands have a Red, White and Blue flag, their national color is Orange b/c of thier first King, William of Orange. sometimes the national color is diferent than the flag, kinda like australias national teams wear green and gold despte thier flag being red white and blue, or the itallians wear blue instead of red, white and green..</font>

The royal family is the House of Orange (for Willem of Oranje)...much like the British have the House of Windsor.

Parents are immigrants from Holland so I should know this.

PS...ever notice all teams from New York (except Yanks (blech), Jets and Giants have orange white and blue...eg. Mets, Knicks, Libery and Isles?

Also, the Dutch flag used to be orange white and light blue, but it was too hard to see out at sea so it was changed to red white and dark blue, becoming the inspiration for colors of other flags like France and the USA

The royal family is the House of Orange (for Willem of Oranje)...much like the British have the House of Windsor.

Parents are immigrants from Holland so I should know this.

PS...ever notice all teams from New York (except Yanks (blech), Jets and Giants have orange white and blue...eg. Mets, Knicks, Libery and Isles? 

Also, the Dutch flag used to be orange white and light blue, but it was too hard to see out at sea so it was changed to red white and dark blue, becoming the inspiration for colors of other flags like France and the USA

*Vexillological Rampage Inbound!*

The Red-White-Blue for the United States was not inspired by the Netherlands flag, but rather the Union flag of the United Kingdom, which became the official national flag, finalised with the Act of Union between England and Scotland in 1707. The blue (PMS 282, to channel PANTONE) was nearly the same as the blue in the Scottish Cross of St. Andrew, and the Red (PMS 193) mimics the red in the English St. George's Cross.

As for the French Tricolour, it has infinitely more to do with Paris and the Revolution rather than the former Batavian Puppet regim...er Republic's flag. (See: Flags of the World for more info)

OK, back to the mundane. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived