Cubs Blue "Alternates" DONE.

utkash10

As many of you noticed, Carlos Zambrano did not wear the blue jersey (as he ALWAYS does) for yesterday's Cubs game.

The President of the Cubs (the way I am reading this article) has done away with the Blue jerseys. Did I misunderstand this quote or does it sound like they will no longer be used.

I actually like the blue jerseys (although they do wear them way too often).

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Scroll down to the "Uniform Uniformity" section.

The Beanie Baby King actually scaled back the uniforms? Perish the thought! I wouldn't mind SOME blue shirts on the road now and then, but not as often as they've been worn recently home and away. Also, no bear sniffing for garbage. Something like this?

cubthird.jpg

Close to 1984, but button-down.

I mentioned this article earlier in the MLB uni changes thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...47544&st=51

I'll repeat here what I said there. The article itself is inaccurate, as Zambrano wore the pinstripes several times in spring training and has done so each year since at least 2004. So therefore, I question the validity -- or at least the finality -- of anything else in it.

But more pinstripes at home and less blue is a welcome change for me. I don't mind the blue on the road... and a variation closer to TCR's would be preferable.

Well that just sucks. The Cubs blue alts were one of my favorites in the whole MLB. I don't know what it was about the jersey, but it just screamed "kick ass" to me. So yeah, them doing away with it is lame, IMO.

But whatever floats the Cub fans boats.

I mentioned this article earlier in the MLB uni changes thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...47544&st=51

I'll repeat here what I said there. The article itself is inaccurate, as Zambrano wore the pinstripes several times in spring training and has done so each year since at least 2004. So therefore, I question the validity -- or at least the finality -- of anything else in it.

But more pinstripes at home and less blue is a welcome change for me. I don't mind the blue on the road... and a variation closer to TCR's would be preferable.

I think the blue jersey became too much back in 2003 when Zambrano, Clement, Estes and Wood (on the road) all wore it, seemingly every freeking day! - Only Prior wor the road grey, and Wood an Prior preferred the pinstripes...

That being said, what has to be considered about the Trib/Chicago Sports article is that; 1) it's written by Paul Sullivan - just about the most knowledgable beat writer out there on the Cubs (his spring training jersey slip-up notwithstanding), and, 2) there is a new President of the Cubs this year, with Andy McPhail stepping down at season end last year. Since it's that new President (John McDonough) being credited with the decision (and even if it were Lou Pinella), and not that the players had simply "changed their mind about wearing them," I'm going with it.

Also, the story is reafirmed here - second item, "First surprise" (okay, still Paul Sullivan, but I'll still take his word for it...)

Moose

Yes, but when the first five-game losing streak happens, the blue alts might be broken out as the slumpbusters. That's all I'm saying, not that they don't *intend* to abandon blue. After all, teams can wear the BPs if they want, right?

That I can go along with... I personally like the concept of a "special occasion" jersey more than a true alt. For example - wear it for Sunday night (ESPN) games vs. the Cards... Or pull it out for a game against the White Sox once a year. A slump-buster (but then it goes back in the closet). Think Notre Dame with their green football jerseys - not something you pull out every other day.

Moose

Am I alone in thinking they looked more appropriate for a Sunday league softball outfit than a MLB team? Esp. one of the more storied MLB teams (storied not in championship lore, granted)?

No. I hate (please let it really be HATED, as in -- they're gone) the blues for that reason.

It's where I sit.

Yes, but when the first five-game losing streak happens, the blue alts might be broken out as the slumpbusters. That's all I'm saying, not that they don't *intend* to abandon blue. After all, teams can wear the BPs if they want, right?

That I can go along with... I personally like the concept of a "special occasion" jersey more than a true alt. For example - wear it for Sunday night (ESPN) games vs. the Cards... Or pull it out for a game against the White Sox once a year. A slump-buster (but then it goes back in the closet). Think Notre Dame with their green football jerseys - not something you pull out every other day.

Moose

'Specially cause Notre Dame has a tendency to lose when they wear the alts... :P

(Slumpbusters these ain't).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Idear:

Only wear blue against the expansion teams: Rockies, Brewers, Astros, Marlins, Padres, Nationals, and D-Bags. White and grey only against the charter members + Mets. Classic rivalries like Cubs-Cardinals and Cubs-Mets won't be sullied with softball jerseys; it'll be white and grey like it's always been.

Idear:

Only wear blue against the expansion teams: Rockies, Brewers, Astros, Marlins, Padres, Nationals, and D-Bags. White and grey only against the charter members + Mets. Classic rivalries like Cubs-Cardinals and Cubs-Mets won't be sullied with softball jerseys; it'll be white and grey like it's always been.

Interesting idea.

I think the ideal situation would be to modify the current blues to add some piping (and possibly take away the alternate cub inside the C) and keep them as road alternate only except used at home for special occasions like Sunday Nights.

Also I like the grays, but a little piping would help a lot.

brianurlacher.png

Good choice. I think the Cubs' alt is among the worst in baseball. They need to get rid of the limp-wristed bear logo and burn all record of it. A blue jersey like the one TCR posted wouldn't be bad. I always kinda liked the 1984 roads.

Most importantly, the Cubs, along with every other team, needs to wear their alts much, much less (if they were to get new ones).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Good choice. I think the Cubs' alt is among the worst in baseball. They need to get rid of the limp-wristed bear logo and burn all record of it. A blue jersey like the one TCR posted wouldn't be bad. I always kinda liked the 1984 roads.

Most importantly, the Cubs, along with every other team, needs to wear their alts much, much less (if they were to get new ones).

i was thinking the same thing i came up w/ this

ChiCAlt.png

Because we all know that uniforms are the reason why teams leave too many runners on base.

^_^

Idear:

I withdraw my clarification. I didn't properly read the comment above.

Archived