Reds new unis in action

Sport

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Cincy native, I dig the new uniforms. I picked up a Nike cap at Lids with the C with Mr. Redlegs in the middle and on the back it's got REDS in their font (I don't know what it's called). I can't remember back when they unveiled these at Redsfest, but do they have a red alternate? For those of you who caught the game on ESPN 2, is the new Riverboat deck over the batters eye cool or what? Anyway, Go Reds!

Speaking of the Dodgers, in 1999, did they wear vests on the road or were they faux-vests like the Angels did? I am referring to: http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...mp;Entryid=1919

Any pics of these in game action?

They never wore the sleeveless jerseys; that was the initial design, but they changed it to the full-sleeved jersey that they wore until last year.

Speaking of the Dodgers, in 1999, did they wear vests on the road or were they faux-vests like the Angels did? I am referring to: http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...mp;Entryid=1919

Any pics of these in game action?

I saw one of those jerseys on eBay once...a salesman's' sample. I wanted it, but not nearly as badly as the guy who won it. It went for some pretty serious $.

Yeah, the Dodgers look great - a major upgrade that I hope the Yankees notice.

Yeah, because we all know that the Yankee$ road uniforms aren't' boring enough as it is!

That white trim and sleeve piping are heretical!

In my opinion, the Dodgers change is the antithesis of an upgrade.

So what's wrong with just red? No other colors, no white trim on grey, just red?

Take a look at the Dodgers new roads, and you'll know...

No, I like the Dodgers' new roads. I can read one color on grey.

Congratulations...really. I never said the new Dodgers' roads were hard to read. I said they were boring, and a step backward from a pretty sweet design.

I love the font, including the drop shadow. They now have the best uniforms in the league, besides the Yankees.

Are you dumb or a homer?

Alright TCR. Convince me why these new uniforms can absolutely NOT be the best in the league? I don't know where I'd rank them (or where I ranked thier identity off hand), but I'd have no problem believing they could go in a top 3 or top 5 list.

For my money these are far better than the Yankees uniforms. Both of them.

I guess around here you gotta believe the Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers have the best. Oh, and the Cardinals can go in there too if you don't root for them.

I'm kinda siding with you on this, and I'm a Cardinals fan. The font is sweet. Classy. Kinda throwback. The drop shadow is a bit too big, though. Either thin it a bit, or just make it a black outline, with white in between the red and black. But this is a really really nice set of uniforms. Definate upgrade. Definately in the upper tear of uniforms in MLB.

But I will disagree about Mr. Redlegs. I like him. I like that they put him in the old-time unis. Kinda pulls together the whole classic look, with the old-time (sort of) font. I mean, the were the very first team ever, so I think it's kind of fitting. Now the roads need a bit of a touch up.

I thought that the new fonts were just a bit over the top. Other than that, everything about the Reds new unis is great. ESPECIALLY the return of the original Mr. Red, the one with the handlebar mustache and 19th century pillbox cap. THAT is one of the cooler looking sports mascots out there and I am so happy the Reds brought him back.

Does it look like the Reds thinned out the black drop shadow on the names since the unveiling in the winter?

capt.e52912ff170a49d28d0dba60ebd98d40.pirates_reds_baseball_csb104.jpg

I haven't found a pic from that show so if someone wants to post one for comparison, could probably tell better.

redhomebacktj3vi3.jpg

looks the same to me.

I like their new uniforms. Very sharp.

Look at the "E"s. They clearly look different to me. The new names look more legible, and the new numbers look a little smaller.

Awesome uniform IF the black was either touching the red, or not present at all. The white outline and shadow ruin it for me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

Been watching the Reds for two nights, and I have to say I like their new home uniforms even more seeing them in action than I did just seeing photos. My earlier worries about the negative effects of the black drop shadow on type legibility just don't apply. The new custom font elements are perfectly readable, and the overall uniform has a very distinctive appearance. Which, after all, is one of the fundamental purposes of uniforms in the first place. Cincy's new home uniforms are so good I don't even mind the numbers on the right breast, which I normally hate.

The one thing, the only thing, that's bothering me is the white-on-red C-REDS logo on the left breast. The negative-space logo makes the uniforms look to white to me. Since the new uniforms were unveiled, I keep finding myself comparing the look and feel of the new unis with the new Mr. Red logo. And Mr. Red has a beautiful red wishbone-C on his left breast, not a red-outlined white C. I'd love to see a Reds home uniform with a red C-REDS logo on the left breast; I suspect I'd like it more than what they have now.

Still, big kudos to Cincinatti on these uniforms. It's rare to see a uniform redesign that produces a first draft that's this close to perfection. I could see the Reds wearing this uniform 20 years from now and not looking dated. Well, almost; MASN just previewed Kyle Lohse as tomorrow's starter against the Nats, and the pics were of him in a 2007 Reds road uniform. The black-bill cap has got to go. That cap says "late '90s" louder than the Macarena.

20082614447.png

sadly this is the first time i've even seen the new reds jerseys. I don't watch baseball and i wasn't on here when this post was made. These are the first pictures i'm seeing of the new reds uniforms.

i actually like this set. Its a sort of new meets old. the black drop shadows don't bother me and I love the font.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

But I will disagree about Mr. Redlegs. I like him. I like that they put him in the old-time unis. Kinda pulls together the whole classic look, with the old-time (sort of) font. I mean, the were the very first team ever, so I think it's kind of fitting.

Just as an aside, that is a common misconception reinforced by the club.

The first openly professional team ever was called the "Cincinnati Red Stockings," but it is not the same team as the modern Cincinnati Reds. The Reds like to claim that they are the same club, but it just isn't true. That team disbanded after the 1870 season, and many of the people involved re-formed the club as the Boston Red Stockings the next year. The Red Stockings would go through various names but eventually settle on Braves, so if anybody can make a claim to the legacy of that first professional team, it's Atlanta.

The current Reds are actually the third team to bear some version of the name. You'd think that they already have enough history of their own, without trying to steal somebody else's.

Sorry, bogus historical claims are my personal pet peeve.

Love the Mr. Redlegs patch, though.

Archived