Dallas mavs logo

Thad

Green Bay had the G first (1961), then Georgia started using it around 1964, and finally Grambling began using the G (don't know when though).

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I actually read the story behind Green Bay's apparent "g" in the logo.  It actually stands for "Green Bay".
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I don't believe it. i don't see the G in the Green Bay logo.

If it were actually there, as you guys pretend, it would be a GB anyway...  They aren't Greenbay, they are Green Bay.

And I'm not even going to comment on the University (sic) of Georgia.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

After further musing on the topic, I am going back to my original hypothesis that it's a stylized "6."  As in Touchdown. You see, it's a logo on a football helmet.  Touchdowns are worth 6 points.  It's logical.  

I have to agree with Paynomind in that if it was supposed to be a "G" for Green Bay, there would be a "B" as well. And using a "G" for Georgia doesn't make any sense.  As we all know, the word "Georgia" begins with a "J."

Now does anyone out there know why the Chicago Cubs use the Roman numeral for "100" on their caps?

49er..

I forgot about that.. i had a hat in high school I did that to.. black hat, white sewn text... a sharpie marker made it quite the conversation piece!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Which gets me to thinking... what is the "N" on the Yankees cap for? I'm guessing it may stand for Nine Yankees, as there are nine players in the lineup at a time?

And are SF really roman numerals for 49?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I always thought the NY stood for New York...

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Now does anyone out there know why the Chicago Cubs use the Roman numeral for "100" on their caps?

Probably for the same reason that the Detroit Tigers have "500" on their caps.

And didn't the Vancouver Canucks once wear big Roman Numeral "5"s on their sweaters? Was it for the 5 skaters on the ice? If so, didn't goalies get offended?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I always thought the NY stood for New York...

Are some people not quite getting th level that this thread has taken on!!

I think you will find that the NY comes from when Japanese people were systematically picked on. It stands for No Yellows.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived