Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Dallas mavs logo

Green Bay had the G first (1961), then Georgia started using it around 1964, and finally Grambling began using the G (don't know when though).

I actually read the story behind Green Bay's apparent "g" in the logo.  It actually stands for "Green Bay".

I don't believe it. i don't see the G in the Green Bay logo.

If it were actually there, as you guys pretend, it would be a GB anyway...  They aren't Greenbay, they are Green Bay.

And I'm not even going to comment on the University (sic) of Georgia.

After further musing on the topic, I am going back to my original hypothesis that it's a stylized "6."  As in Touchdown. You see, it's a logo on a football helmet.  Touchdowns are worth 6 points.  It's logical.  

I have to agree with Paynomind in that if it was supposed to be a "G" for Green Bay, there would be a "B" as well. And using a "G" for Georgia doesn't make any sense.  As we all know, the word "Georgia" begins with a "J."

Now does anyone out there know why the Chicago Cubs use the Roman numeral for "100" on their caps?

I saw this on the hat of someone sitting in front of me at a Panthers game once...

You can alter the Chicago White Sox logo to say "sex", by marking out a part of the O, like so.

:D

It's not a "6" for touchdown, it's a "G" for "goal". As in "goal line", where the team is trying to advance to.

49er..

I forgot about that.. i had a hat in high school I did that to.. black hat, white sewn text... a sharpie marker made it quite the conversation piece!

Which gets me to thinking... what is the "N" on the Yankees cap for? I'm guessing it may stand for Nine Yankees, as there are nine players in the lineup at a time?

And are SF really roman numerals for 49?

I always thought the NY stood for New York...

Now does anyone out there know why the Chicago Cubs use the Roman numeral for "100" on their caps?

Probably for the same reason that the Detroit Tigers have "500" on their caps.

And didn't the Vancouver Canucks once wear big Roman Numeral "5"s on their sweaters? Was it for the 5 skaters on the ice? If so, didn't goalies get offended?

I always thought the NY stood for New York...

Are some people not quite getting th level that this thread has taken on!!

I think you will find that the NY comes from when Japanese people were systematically picked on. It stands for No Yellows.

I think you will find that the NY comes from when Japanese people were systematically picked on. It stands for No Yellows.

Ahh! This probably explains why Hideki Matsui is attempting to change the hats.