Names returning to Iowa basketball jerseys

ohryan

The University of Iowa introduced new head coach Todd Lickliter today and in the Q&A section of the press conference, the first question asked was if Iowa would put the names back on the uniforms. Lickliter confirmed they would be back next season. They were taken off several years ago by former coach Steve Alford. Not a huge deal, but interesting it was the first question asked of the new coach.

I hope this also means a return to the NCAA tournament.

I think that Alford took the names off the jerseys to punish the team for playing like individuals. For Alford it would also have followed what Bobby Knight has done by not having the names on the back.

I think it should be mandatory to have the names on the backs in any sport. How the Heck do we now who they are. This isn't the 1940's

Go tell the Yankees that. Let me know how that works out for ya.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Outstanding news! I remember Alford saying it was about being more like a team, but that was years ago. I always thought (or at least hoped) that he would bring them back the next year. All the players that supposedly earned the punishment are long gone, why "punish" the current players? I can also admit I am quite glad to see Alford leave. I never was a big fan.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I think it should be mandatory to have the names on the backs in any sport. How the Heck do we now who they are. This isn't the 1940's

Can't read names from the seats... most TV shots aren't of players' backs... stadiums have scoreboards and announcers... TV has graphics.... numbers (larger, more readable and often in multiple places) differentiate players.

Names on the backs of jerseys aren't so people know who they're watching. I'd say it's only to sell jerseys, but the NCAA doesn't allow it, so in this case, I guess it can't be.

How the Heck do you know who the player's names? Spend a buck, buy a program or swipe a copy of the syudent paper and use the box scores...anyways a real team fan would know every player's name, major, hometown and favorite tv show and soda pop flavor already.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Don't insult my sports knowledge. I am a REAL FAN i have been watching sports all my life its just nice to know who the 5th string running back or the Triple A call up reliever is? I probably know more about sports one finger than you know in your whole body.

moss_moon.gif

Don't insult my sports knowledge. I am a REAL FAN i have been watching sports all my life its just nice to know who the 5th string running back or the Triple A call up reliever is? I probably know more about sports one finger than you know in your whole body.

Do we need sarcasm warnings on some our posts...?

RobbyBox2.jpg

• LMU locked this topic

Archived