Halos reds...

oddball

Anyone notice the two LA baseball teams have the colors of the Bloods and the Crips, Dodgers and Angels respectively.

Or Oxford and Cambridge, or Yale and Harvard, or...to take it down a level, Louisville and U of K. Blue and red as colors for rivals is hardly unique. I'm sure we could think of more. Canadiens and Maple Leafs?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cubs and Cardinals, Cowboys and Redskins, Yankees and Red Sox to an extent, Mavericks and Rockets at times, 49ers and LA Rams.

You know, I am just tired of alternate jerseys in general. They can be such eyesores and when its an alt vs. an alt, the game can look like some bad mosaic, from a 1970's weaving class.

Sadly, instead of anticipating an age when alternate jerseys are done away with, I think we'll see fourth and fifth alternates more and more.

It made me sad when the Habs caved in, and finally made an alt (they were getting fined I believe by the NHL for refusing to adopt a third jersey). Even though the alt is nifty, I still think there's something special about just a home and away jersey. Alts just do not cut it for me.

You know, I am just tired of alternate jerseys in general. They can be such eyesores and when its an alt vs. an alt, the game can look like some bad mosaic, from a 1970's weaving class.

Sadly, instead of anticipating an age when alternate jerseys are done away with, I think we'll see fourth and fifth alternates more and more.

Alternate jerseys, especially in baseball, allow for variety. I agree that they should be worn sparingly, but doing away with them all together would take some colour and variety out of sports, especially baseball. I don't want every game to be white vs grey.

It made me sad when the Habs caved in, and finally made an alt (they were getting fined I believe by the NHL for refusing to adopt a third jersey). Even though the alt is nifty, I still think there's something special about just a home and away jersey.

First off, I doubt the Habs were fined for not adopting a third jersey. I never heard that before they adopted it, and I don't hear it out of places like Detroit, Dallas, or Atlanta where they don't have an alternate.

Finally, the Habs did the smart thing by following the Leafs lead and not designing a new sweater. Instead they stayed true to their roots and adopted a sweater from their past. I think it adds variety and a little extra something to the Canadiens' uniform set without comprimising the team's historical look.

Alts just do not cut it for me.

That's cool, but understand that they do serve a purpose. Don't let some teams' mismanagement of them (Chicago Cubs, Denver Nuggets, etc...) sour you on a generaly good concept.

Cubs and Cardinals, Cowboys and Redskins, Yankees and Red Sox to an extent, Mavericks and Rockets at times, 49ers and LA Rams.

49ers and Rams is still a rivalry even with the Rams in St. Louis. It's lesser obviously because of distance and the fact that niether team seems to want to be competitive at the same period of time, but it's there still.

Hopefully with the Niners set to be much improved and the Rams ready to head upwards after a bit of a slide, the rivalry will strengthen again.

But I've veered off topic...

That's cool, but understand that they do serve a purpose. Don't let some teams' mismanagement of them (Chicago Cubs, Denver Nuggets, etc...) sour you on a generaly good concept.

I know what the purpose is - merchandising.

It's easy to soured on a lousy concept.

The new alternates are awesome. White lettering on a red uniform would make the Halos look like every other team with a red or dark red alternate. The Angels are all about red on red, look at their hats. Besides, if the names and numbers were white, they'd have to change the "ANGELS" text to match and that has always been red.

Radom's 2002 re-design of the Angels uniforms is a modern classic, absolutely perfect, and I'm glad they didn't stray far from it.

Anyone notice the two LA baseball teams have the colors of the Bloods and the Crips, Dodgers and Angels respectively.

Or Oxford and Cambridge, or Yale and Harvard, or...to take it down a level, Louisville and U of K. Blue and red as colors for rivals is hardly unique. I'm sure we could think of more. Canadiens and Maple Leafs?

Democrats and Republicans!

Back on topic... I like the red on red. The blue and white outline makes the lettering pop enough that it doesn't matter that it's the same color as the jersey.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

You're probably right, but that doesn't change the fact that it adds some diversity to a team's uniform set.

Yes, I will agree that for the most part teams need to scale back on the number of times they wear them, but I would oppose getting rid of them all together. White vs grey every game of the season would get dull in a hurry.

The Angels are infatuated with red. The four-color numbers are a little different, but I like the face that they create enough contrast between the name & numbers and the base of the jersey. I hope they wear them when I go catch a game there later this month.

I wish they'd gone semi-retro with their alt.

AngelsAltRoadConcept72.png

I also did a concept for a red jersey awhile back that I like better than the red on red.

AngelsAltHomeConcept72.png

I like what you've got here, but I think they went with red to keep that seperation between Dodger Blue and Angel Red, and that red alt you have there reminds me alot of the Braves alt jersey.

I'm an Angels fan but I'm not the biggest fan of these jerseys. They do look better in action, however, than they do in the mlb.com shop.

I think this photo shows why the team may have chosen to have red on red . . . it matches the jackets.

fullj.getty-73394612cp024_texas_rangers_12_14_27_am.jpg

Are those FOUR layered numbers? Red on Blue on White on Silver? Wow...never thought I'd see it.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I think the four layered letters is consistent with the lettering on their dugout jacket.

You're probably right, but that doesn't change the fact that it adds some diversity to a team's uniform set.

Yes, I will agree that for the most part teams need to scale back on the number of times they wear them, but I would oppose getting rid of them all together. White vs grey every game of the season would get dull in a hurry.

New to baseball? :P

I keed, I keed.

Maybe MLB could make the games less "dull" by introducing dance teams on the field between the innings and instituting Nike template unitards for all teams, but what would be the point?

But baseball more than any other sport is steeped in its tradition, and that tradition is valuable.

New to baseball? :P

I keed, I keed.

Maybe MLB could make the games less "dull" by introducing dance teams on the field between the innings and instituting Nike template unitards for all teams, but what would be the point?

But baseball more than any other sport is steeped in its tradition, and that tradition is valuable.

I'm not suggesting that anyone replace their grey road uniforms with a coloured jersey. I agree that home jerseys should always be white and road jerseys (with a few exceptions) should always be grey.

Still, why does that mean a team shouldn't be allowed to change it up from time to time?

Archived