Opening Day in Detroit

CC97

Last September when I saw the Jays were opening in Detroit I started making plans right away to make the trip down to see my boys open the season in the Motor City... and I'm glad I did, it was a great game, a great ballpark, and a lot of great fans down there too.

My ticket... I love how it just says Opening Day 2007 on it

n583265050_239607_4131.jpg

Crossing the Ambassador

n583265050_239608_4369.jpg

Tiger Stadium

n583265050_239610_4877.jpg

Comerica Park

n583265050_239611_5125.jpg

Ernie Harwell showed up out of the blue near us, what a thrill!

n583265050_239627_9307.jpg

Statue of Ty Cobb

n583265050_239629_9822.jpg

Troy Glaus signing autographs for the few Jays fans there

n583265050_239628_9561.jpg

Josh Towers, who knew the people I was traveling with, coming over to talk to us

n583265050_239616_6453.jpg

talking to my friend... she told him that she was able to see him at Yankee Stadium by telling the ushers she was his mother, hence the laughter from Josh.

The new murderer's row... Glaus, Thomas, Wells

n583265050_239636_1654.jpg

Managers John Gibbons and Jim Leyland shake hands prior to the game

n583265050_239637_1920.jpg

of fighter jets flying overhead after the National Anthems

Ford Field

n583265050_239631_336.jpg

2006 AL Championship Pennant, congrats guys

n583265050_239632_585.jpg

First pitch of the season, Bonderman to Johnson, ball 1

n583265050_239639_2456.jpg

Sheff

n583265050_239643_3627.jpg

Halladay

n583265050_239642_3366.jpg

Zoom, zoom, zoom...

n583265050_239646_4423.jpg

Tigers' eyes light up... didn't help 'em out tho!

n583265050_239649_5246.jpg

The Big Hurt

n583265050_239650_5509.jpg

Blue Jays win, Blue Jays win, Blue Jays win! 5-3 in 10 innings

n583265050_239653_6337.jpg

Lovin' it

n583265050_239617_6708.jpg

Scenic Detroit... lots to see when you're stuck in traffic for 70 minutes

n583265050_239656_7163.jpg

n583265050_239658_7697.jpg

All in all it was a great time, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

and I'm glad I did, a great ballpark...

All in all it was a great time, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Glad you liked the ballpark... I know a lot of people that don't like Comerica, but I loved it when I went (even though it was pre-2006 Tigers resurgance).

Moose

Poor Detroit, the economy there is taking a beating. Windsor is hurting too.

I love, old, decrepit Tiger Stadium, I have great memories there, not just ball games, I also saw the opening show of the KISS reunion ten years ago, from row 5. There's just something watching an aging band, in spandex and makeup, while standing on the same ground that Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg once glorified, that is absolutely surreal and memorable.

I also love how at old Tiger Stadium, if you had premium seats, an usher would walk you to your seat and shine it for you with a rag before you sat down.

I haven't seen Comerica yet, but I will soon, I have in-laws that hail from Michigan, so its just a matter of time. I understand its near or around Greek-town, so I look forward to that.

I miss Detroit vs. Toronto rivalry. Jays/Tigers games were special in the 80's, and Wings/Leafs games always had an extra zing to them. Now they are a little more rare than before, and since the teams no longer share divisions, the games seem to have less punch. It makes me sad.

These photos are great Chris, thanks for sharing them out. Too bad the Jays are getting POUNDED in game 2. :(

Poor Detroit, the economy there is taking a beating. Windsor is hurting too.

I love, old, decrepit Tiger Stadium, I have great memories there, not just ball games, I also saw the opening show of the KISS reunion ten years ago, from row 5. There's just something watching an aging band, in spandex and makeup, while standing on the same ground that Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg once glorified, that is absolutely surreal and memorable.

I also love how at old Tiger Stadium, if you had premium seats, an usher would walk you to your seat and shine it for you with a rag before you sat down.

I haven't seen Comerica yet, but I will soon, I have in-laws that hail from Michigan, so its just a matter of time. I understand its near or around Greek-town, so I look forward to that.

I miss Detroit vs. Toronto rivalry. Jays/Tigers games were special in the 80's, and Wings/Leafs games always had an extra zing to them. Now they are a little more rare than before, and since the teams no longer share divisions, the games seem to have less punch. It makes me sad.

These photos are great Chris, thanks for sharing them out. Too bad the Jays are getting POUNDED in game 2. :(

I was at Comerica a few years back on my way back from Toronto and we stopped because the White Sox were in town. I thought it was a great park. Fan support wasn't much (we got second row behind home plate walking up an hour before the game), but I imagine that's been rectified.

Chris, thank you for sharing those pics and comments with us... this stuff is personal so it's another "flavor" than one provided by commercial websites like ESPN and Fox Sports.

Hey, is the Tiger Stadium in use of anything today?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Swiss, it's slated for demolition, if it hasn't been already and I missed the news. Probably for the better, since it's been in poor condition for years: trees are growing in the grandstand. Looks neat, but indicative of some serious blight. I wonder if the Red Wings could build a replacement for Joe Louis at Michigan and Trumbull: a new era with Red Wing Stadium?

Swiss, it's slated for demolition, if it hasn't been already and I missed the news.

I didn't notice that Chris just took a picture of it. Sorry, I'm sort of an idiot.

I wonder if the Red Wings could build a replacement for Joe Louis at Michigan and Trumbull: a new era with Red Wing Stadium?

That's been one of the suggestions but most people seem to think that the replacement for the Joe will go a couple blocks off Woodward, behind the Fox Theater.

I wonder if the Red Wings could build a replacement for Joe Louis at Michigan and Trumbull: a new era with Red Wing Stadium?

That's been one of the suggestions but most people seem to think that the replacement for the Joe will go a couple blocks off Woodward, behind the Fox Theater.

Because the congestion there isn't bad enough on a game night as is, right? Imagine a Wings / Tigers home night with the crowds for each stadium getting there around the same time and leaving at about the same time....oh, what fun!

I went to a Lions game at the same time as a Tigers game last year (who scheduled this?)... Needless to say traffic was a tad crazy. If the Wings built behind the Fox it would be pandemonium.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Because the congestion there isn't bad enough on a game night as is, right? Imagine a Wings / Tigers home night with the crowds for each stadium getting there around the same time and leaving at about the same time....oh, what fun!

Joel, since you know Detroit better than I, how viable would an arena in Corktown be in 2010+? Is there still enough of an infrastructure to support that sort of thing?

Joel, since you know Detroit better than I, how viable would an arena in Corktown be in 2010+? Is there still enough of an infrastructure to support that sort of thing?

As far back as I remember, the Corktown area has been a ghost town, except on St. Patrick's Day and during Tigers home games when they still used Tiger Stadium. If the city doesn't decide what their going to do with the corner of Michigan and Trumbull soon, then I'm afraid it's going to remain that way. The fact is, they seem hellbent on revitalizing the "Foxtown" area, and that area only, which is a mistake in my opinion. Areas such as Corktown, the Cass Corridor, the New Center, and the Boston/Edison district suffer because of this, and these are areas that should be treasured for their potential contributions (arts and architecture) to the city as a whole, as opposed to Foxtown's entertainment value.

So....do I think Corktown is a viable option for an arena? Hell yes. Do I think the city government is smart enough to do it? Not in my lifetime.

Nice pictures. I see Comerica installed a couple of ribbon boards on the suite level. I'd wish they alter the main scoreboard as well. They could possibly copy Jacobs Field's new scoreboard and make it 1 big video screen that's segmented digitally. Nice job.

Archived