Griffey, Jr., others to wear No. 42 as part of Jackie Robinson Day tribute

gilesy24

truthfully, I dont even think Clemente was the first hispanic in the major leagues. I might be wrong but I believe it was Hiram Bithorn, he was the first Puerto Rican in the majors at least (he's the guy they named the ballpark in San Juan after)

However since Clemente was argubly the greatest player of latino descent of all time, coupled with his humanitarian contributions and his untimely death in traveling to perform one of those humanitarian duties, MLB should honor him throughout the 30 major league clubs the same way they do Robinson.

all Im really trying to point out really, is that every time someone of the black race breaks some sort of barrier or accomplishes something not done by one of thier kind before everyone knows about it, yet if someone of any other non-white race accomplishes something similar, it is never talked about.

I mean, how many people realized at the time that Tom Flores became the first hispanic coach in the NFL to win a super bowl in 1981, yet we heard every day about either Lovie Smith or Tony Dungy becoming the first black super bowl winning head coach.

I'm just saying, that's all. I mean, last time I checked there isn't even a Hispanic History Month.

Gotcha. I tend to be in agreement with that. I don't know if Hispanics dealt with quite the same level of racism blacks did (they may have...that's something I'm ignorant about again), but at this point, as a society we're so far removed from those huge amounts of racism (not to say there is not a long way to go still) that I don't think we need to be pointing things out at every turn. (That's not to say Jackie Robinson shouldn't be celebrated as when he broke the barrier, it WAS huge, but more to agree with you that Dungy/Smith thing was WAY overdone.)

To be honest, I feel like it only separates races that much more.

I know I'm probably a little to ideal about the situation, but why people can't try and act like skin color/race is kinda like hair color, I don't know. It's like, instead of moving towards not caring about race, all we're moving towards is being more sensitive about race. Granted, that's an alright step up from heavy racism, but I don't think it's what we should be moving towards.

Now, culture would be a whole different issue. I'm all for celebrating different cultures as long as the celebration can include people of other cultures.

But I don't for the life of me understand celebrating race.

I've veered way off though. So I'll close by clarifying that I do understand and agree with celebrating Jackie Robinson and his accomplishment(s) (I just don't like the retirment of his number, but that's separate from what I posted above).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this be limited to one player per team, or will multiple players be allowed to wear 42 that day? It seems like if two players wanted to honor him on the same team, how would you decide which one got to?

"Sorry, Kenny Lofton, but Hank Blalock already asked to wear 42."

Also, what would everyone think about having every player in MLB wear 42 that day? Yeah, it'd be confusing, but it'd be a pretty cool tribute.

Will this be limited to one player per team, or will multiple players be allowed to wear 42 that day? It seems like if two players wanted to honor him on the same team, how would you decide which one got to?

"Sorry, Kenny Lofton, but Hank Blalock already asked to wear 42."

Also, what would everyone think about having every player in MLB wear 42 that day? Yeah, it'd be confusing, but it'd be a pretty cool tribute.

The ENTIRE DODGER TEAM will wear #42 on April 15. I think the players will have their own names on their backs.

I was just ripping off The Dugout Chat. Or rather,

I WAS J

I WAS JUST RIPPING OFF THE DUGOUT CHAT

Whoooosh. I'm totally not getting this one. You may need to explain it to me using small words and/or sock puppets.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Some thoughts:

I'm not sure I'm sold on a league-wide celebration of the 60th anniversary of anything.

I celebrate Griffey's initiative, but wonder about MLB "encouraging" other players to join him.

I seem to recall an idea being floated where the winner of the Jackie Robinson award could wear #42 the following year. That seems pretty cool.

Oddly enough, we've retired #42 on our softball team.

I think people didn't raise the roof over Tom Flores because half of us thought he was Italian!

Oddly enough, we've retired #42 on our softball team.

(1) The entire Dodger team wearing #42 is interesting and amusing. I kinda like it though. If anything this would be a proper tribute to the man for the 60th anniversary, though I could just hear Vin Scully now: "Now at first base, #42. At second, #42. At short, #42. At third, #42..."

(2) Our softball team doesn't retire numbers. Instead we have a "Badge of Honor," which can be awarded to a player 'retired' from the team or still active. Recipients receive a custom-made policeman's badge. It costs around $100 per player and is a nice tribute, though we haven't seen fit to giving anyone one in several years now.

nav-logo.png

However anyone wearing 42 can not have it retired, so Rivera, despite how great he's been can not have #42 retired by the Yankees.

Really? I haven't heard that.

Doesn't make sense, since the Yankees are the only team not to officially retire #42. I always figured that this stems from the fact that they will undoubtedly retire it once Rivera is gone.

Could you source this?

I was just ripping off The Dugout Chat. Or rather,

I WAS J

I WAS JUST RIPPING OFF THE DUGOUT CHAT

Whoooosh. I'm totally not getting this one. You may need to explain it to me using small words and/or sock puppets.

www.wordupthome.com is a baseball humor site where players take part in AIM chats.

However anyone wearing 42 can not have it retired, so Rivera, despite how great he's been can not have #42 retired by the Yankees.

Really? I haven't heard that.

Doesn't make sense, since the Yankees are the only team not to officially retire #42. I always figured that this stems from the fact that they will undoubtedly retire it once Rivera is gone.

Could you source this?

I don't think this is true.

I think when Rivera retires, the Yanks will retire his 42, and then hopefully also put Jackie's name somewhere. Again, I don't like leaguewide retirements, but I also don't think it's right for one team to not participate in such a leaguewide action.

Anyways, the reason I don't think is true is, as I mentioned earlier, the Cardinals effectively re-retired 42 for Bruce Sutter after his election to the Hall of Fame. Granted, Sutter was retired before the leaguewide retirement of Jackie's number, but I don't see why that would really matter here.

truthfully, I dont even think Clemente was the first hispanic in the major leagues. I might be wrong but I believe it was Hiram Bithorn, he was the first Puerto Rican in the majors at least (he's the guy they named the ballpark in San Juan after)

However since Clemente was argubly the greatest player of latino descent of all time, coupled with his humanitarian contributions and his untimely death in traveling to perform one of those humanitarian duties, MLB should honor him throughout the 30 major league clubs the same way they do Robinson.

all Im really trying to point out really, is that every time someone of the black race breaks some sort of barrier or accomplishes something not done by one of thier kind before everyone knows about it, yet if someone of any other non-white race accomplishes something similar, it is never talked about.

I mean, how many people realized at the time that Tom Flores became the first hispanic coach in the NFL to win a super bowl in 1981, yet we heard every day about either Lovie Smith or Tony Dungy becoming the first black super bowl winning head coach.

What about Sandy Koufax? He wasn't the first Jewish major leaguer, but he was the greatest? When does he get a day?

On top of that, why isn't there a Jewish History Month? :rolleyes:

You can't demand a day/month/special occasion for every minority. What Jackie Robinson did for African Americans in regards to Major League Baseball far surpasses what Clemente or Koufax, or anyone else has done for their respective peoples.

You want to know why people pay more attention when a black becomes the first to do something then when a Hispanic does the same for the first time? It's simple, Hispanics weren't enslaved for 200 years of American history. There's your answer.

I'm just saying, that's all. I mean, last time I checked there isn't even a Hispanic History Month.

History of Hispanic Heritage Month

Am I the only one who think this is kind of cheap? Isn't this just an easy way for MLB to pretend its made major strides on the issue lately, when it really hasn't?

It's nice that Griffey wanted to honor Jackie, but when the rest of the players pig-pile onto the idea for some free PR, it seems a little difficult to digest.

I am not so sure Jackie would be entirely pleased with the state of race relations in pro-sports in today's world.

Am I the only one who think this is kind of cheap? Isn't this just an easy way for MLB to pretend its made major strides on the issue lately, when it really hasn't?

If it had originated from MLB, I would agree with you. But since it didn't, I don't think we can really hold them responsible.

If it is "cheap," then blame Griffey.

I've always wondered about this... :blink:

How come Mariano is exempt to the Jackie Robinson rule?

EDIT: beaten THREE times.

I called a friend at MLB this morning, and the Yankees can (and will) retire #42 in recognition of what Rivera did for the team. The fact that he was grandfathered in means it's "his" number with the Yankees, and when it's retired, it will be retired for him, and as part of he league wide retirement of the number for Jackie Robinson.

I am actually (and maybe in the minority) that would have liked MLB not to have retired #42. Only because I think there is more impact when a player wears a number on the field a tribute and generations can tell the story of Jackie Robinson to a new generation.

I'm in agreement with you. It's almost as if by retiring #42, MLB effectively silenced future generations of ballplayers to tell Jackie Robinson's story in their own personal way.

Instead MLB should have insisted that the Rookie of the Year be called the Jackie Robinson Award, the way the pitcher of the year honors is called the Cy Young Award. I know the Rookie of the Year is officially called the Jackie Robinson Award, but nobody calls it that.

What about Sandy Koufax? He wasn't the first Jewish major leaguer, but he was the greatest? When does he get a day?

On top of that, why isn't there a Jewish History Month? :rolleyes:

The Jewish people got their own nation. They don't need a "history month" to increase pride in their heritage. They're already rightfully proud.

I called a friend at MLB this morning, and the Yankees can (and will) retire #42 in recognition of what Rivera did for the team. The fact that he was grandfathered in means it's "his" number with the Yankees, and when it's retired, it will be retired for him, and as part of he league wide retirement of the number for Jackie Robinson.

If they retire Rivera, its a mortal lock they'll retire Torre's number, and Jeter's.

nav-logo.png

willie randolph will wear 42 for the mets on the 15th...very fitting, if you ask me

as a tribute to jackie robinson, i think mlb should institute "jackie robinson day" every year on april 15...allow one player to wear the number and require that the jackie robinson story be told through a special commemorative media guide on that day

i don't think there has been a more important figure in american sports than jackie robinson and i don't think mlb can honor him enough

jldesigns404eo.png

Instead MLB should have insisted that the Rookie of the Year be called the Jackie Robinson Award, the way the pitcher of the year honors is called the Cy Young Award. I know the Rookie of the Year is officially called the Jackie Robinson Award, but nobody calls it that.

If they really wanted to go this route, they should've named the MVP Award after him. I don't think its named for anyone, though I could be wrong.

i don't think there has been a more important figure in american sports than jackie robinson and i don't think mlb can honor him enough

Not to diminish Robinson in any way, but off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 who were more important. In no particular order:

(1) William Hulbert, de-facto founder of the National League.

(2) Ban Johnson, leader of the American League.

(3) Babe Ruth, who hit a homer or two in his day.

(4) Branch Rickey, the guy who had the balls to sign Robinson.

(5) George Halas, key member of the group that founded the NFL.

nav-logo.png

Archived