Griffey, Jr., others to wear No. 42 as part of Jackie Robinson Day tribute

gilesy24

During the Braves game the anouncers stated that all the Dodger players might wear 42. Anyone know if this is true? I am sure they all will have a 42 patch, I am not sure if that is what they were referencing.

From what I've heard, every Dodger will be wearing #42 on his back on the 15th. They'll likely also have a commemorative patch.

It'll make the PA announcer's job a little more important, won't it?

Can we keep this on topic? That way, if you feel compelled to spew ignorance at the rest of the community, it will just be about a tribute to Jackie Robinson. And nothing more.

[see? I did it, and I only had to self-censor 5 or 6 times! It can be done, people... :therock: ]

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look I didn't say Jews didn't get it bad but this ain't about who got it worst. And you're bringing up the Diaspora. What about Native Americans who were forced out of there homelands. Did they get it back. What about the Mexicans who "forced out of their land by the US in the Mexican-American war. Do they have the right to just take it back. Look I didn't make my comments to attack Jews because like I said before I don't hate Jews but I don't how people come here and don't realize that their people aren't the only ones who have suffered. There is a saying, "You move your feet you lose your seat". The reason Jews left their ancestral land may haven't been of their own, but they left. You can't just come back and say I want my property and think it's all good. It's not fair.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Look I didn't say Jews didn't get it bad but this ain't about who got it worst. And you're bringing up the Diaspora. What about Native Americans who were forced out of there homelands. Did they get it back. What about the Mexicans who "forced out of their land by the US in the Mexican-American war. Do they have the right to just take it back. Look I didn't make my comments to attack Jews because like I said before I don't hate Jews but I don't how people come here and don't realize that their people aren't the only ones who have suffered. There is a saying, "You move your feet you lose your seat". The reason Jews left their ancestral land may haven't been of their own, but they left. You can't just come back and say I want my property and think it's all good. It's not fair.

If you want the Mexicans or Native Americans to get their land back have the UN vote on it. That was how the Jews got Israel back. We didn't just show up and say "hey, get out." The UN voted on it and voted in favour of a Jewish state.

Now where did I ever say Jews were the only people who have suffered? Your letting your hate put words in your my mouth. And yes, I said hate because only people filled with anti-Semetic hate would say things like the Jews secretly own everything, or that the Jews have secret bus lines for their own people, or that the Jews have secretly had a president or two in their back pocket. Tell me how that isn't hateful.

As for reparations, once again, the Germans tried to wipe us out of existence. They didn't enslave us, or simply relocate us. They tried to exterminate us. So no, I see no reason to stop the reparations payments.

And in case you're wondering, I'm for giving blacks reparations for slavery, based on the same principle that Jews should continue to receive reparations from Germany.

http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/topic_de...php?topicID=496

Essentially if you can't do the time don't do the crime.

I just read that Bill Hall will be wearing #42 for the Brewers. Haven't heard if anyone will for the Orioles.

And could we please end the argument over which race has suffered more. This is about Jackie Robinson. MLB had nothing to do with the holocaust or native americans or latinos. However they did ban blacks from playing, so thats why they are doing this. Can't we just focus on the real tribute instead of trying to out do each other's race. For the most part everything is fine today. Its not perfect, but we've come along way. Let's just be happy that none (or maybe i should say most) of us had to live through those hard times in the past.

I just read that Bill Hall will be wearing #42 for the Brewers. Haven't heard if anyone will for the Orioles.

And could we please end the argument over which race has suffered more. This is about Jackie Robinson.

I couldn't agree more, but when some ignorant blockhead says stuff like "Jews own everything in America" what exactly is suppose to happen? Once the genie is out of the bottle you can't put him back in.

As the avatar says...

"I'll wear the number for CCSLC" on the 15th...and all days leading up to it. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

When they say the entire team will wear the number, I wonder if this is like they do when they retire a hockey jersey and the team wears the same jersey and then changes for the game. I hope that's what they are talking about because seeing an entire team play a game with the same number is probably more stupid than the turn ahead the clock promotion.

The Cardinals have decided that the ENTIRE team will wear 42 on April 15th.

Now, I still wonder whether they checked with Bruce Sutter about it since it was re-retired for him. Not that I think he'd care, I just wonder.

I seriously doubt it. The St. Louis Cardinals could up and un-retire a retired number without asking the player, so there is no reason they would go to Sutter for any reason. They don't owe it to him to ask, so why would they bother to ask?

As for the assertation that Griffey would be zeroing in on Aaron if not for the injuries, that is almost a certainty. Just extrapolating what he did in CIN during the one season he was relatively healthy (2005), if he averages 39 HR a year from 2001-2006, he's around 675, so he'd be within striking distance of Ruth this season, and Aaron next.

And that's just assuming that he doesn't have a big 40+ season, which he did for the 5 seasons previous to 2001, when he went and became a walking injury.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Cardinals have decided that the ENTIRE team will wear 42 on April 15th.

Now, I still wonder whether they checked with Bruce Sutter about it since it was re-retired for him. Not that I think he'd care, I just wonder.

I seriously doubt it. The St. Louis Cardinals could up and un-retire a retired number without asking the player, so there is no reason they would go to Sutter for any reason. They don't owe it to him to ask, so why would they bother to ask?

I doubt it too. And they certainly don't have to.

But I'm not so sure they don't kinda owe it to him. I dunno. It's just weird. For the Cardinals organization, he is now number 42. And yet, this one day, everyone is going to be wearing that number.

In the grand scheme of the event, they should do it regardless. For some reason I'd just like to read that Sutter said cool. I don't know why, lol.

I think there might be better ways to honor Jackie Robinson than to unretire his number for a select few individuals that day. Perhaps the better solution would be a patch to be worn leaguewide?

I must wonder though... has it been confirmed that there are at least one or two teams that will not have anyone wear #42?

LvZYtbZ.png

How many teams will have at least one day where the whole team all wears #42?

Right now I believe the Dodgers, Cardinals, and Pirates have said the whole team will wear 42.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived