Citadel @ College of Charleston

marlinfan

Citadel is at the CoC night and they are sporting the lace up unis common at the turn of the century. The umps are even wearing straw hats complete with white long sleeve shirts and suspenders! The game is being televised on the Comcast Sports Net in the SE.

I'll be taking some screen shots with my digital camera, this is more of a heads up to anyone who might be able to see the game.

I had a chance to go to this game for free if I was an upperclassman here. Watch out for my classmate Copenhaver. He is a beastly pitcher and lives 3 doors down from me in the Barracks.

(Citadel knob here just in case you were wondering, and btw, the logo on the site is wrogn and I have the real one on my comp if y'all would like it for hte site.)

What's also pretty awesome is the home plate umpire is even using the old school, foam shields that you hold in front of you. Coming from someone who umpires, it would take some nuts to stand back there holding one of those things. Props for those teams going all the way with it.

Also, they're using wooden bats. Something that should be used for all major college baseball programs.

Excuse the image quality, I was taking pics using my digital camera of my LCD screen.

1000050fu4.jpg

1000052sj6.jpg

I bet Paul Lukas probably busted a couple nuts off them striped socks.

Them suckaz do look hella cool, though. It's cool that EVERYONE took part in this, players and umps alike. (Major league American sports leagues, take notes!)

Wow. Best turn-back-the-clock game ever.

In case anyone is interested, there is probably a Vintage Base Ball club near you that plays regular games not only in period costume but by period rules as well. I mean, putting on an old-fashioned uniform is one thing, but taking off your glove to field bare-handed, that's how real men turn back the clock! ^_^

For anyone in the Washington/Baltimore area, the Chesapeake and Potomac Base Ball Club is gearing up for the 2007 season. Our games are free, and we're always looking for new players.

I didn't know they had batting helmets in the 1900's :)

Or Nikes. :P

Man, THIS is Baseball. THIS is how you do Retro. Not those 70's throwbacks that the NBA does to ashere to the image trends. THIS is honoring the history of the sport. THIS is using THIS in capital letters way too much. THIS is getting old fast. THIS is.....I'm gonna stop now.

In case anyone is interested, there is probably a Vintage Base Ball club near you that plays regular games not only in period costume but by period rules as well. I mean, putting on an old-fashioned uniform is one thing, but taking off your glove to field bare-handed, that's how real men turn back the clock! ^_^

For anyone in the Washington/Baltimore area, the Chesapeake and Potomac Base Ball Club is gearing up for the 2007 season. Our games are free, and we're always looking for new players.

When I lived in Baltimore, I saw something about that league and really wanted to play. Working in college athletics, I couldn't get much free time to do it.

Sounds like it would have been awesome.

I know theres one here on Long Island because of the Conan O'Brien skit a few years ago :lol:

I know theres one here on Long Island because of the Conan O'Brien skit a few years ago :lol:

There are several Vintage Base Ball teams on Long Island, and more nearby in Providence, Connecticut, New York, and northern New Jersey. That area is one of two national centers of the Vintage game. Great teams up your way, with some real characters. I highly recommend going to see the New York Mutuals or the Flemington Neshanook. You'll have a ripping good time. That part of the country has 1860s teams (no gloves) as well as 1880s teams (primitive gloves, closer to modern rules) and early 20th century teams (modern baseball, but in old-fashioned dress-up).

• LMU locked this topic

Archived