What does the Indianapolis Indians logo represent?

Brick

The full brave face/primary logo was created based on a navaho quilt pattern and stylized to create an exciting, bold mark that recalled Native American art, abandoning the stereotypical images of the past. Major league baseball officials instantly approved of this ID and subsequently merchandise set sales records over the course of the next five years. Designed by Carlos Sosa (www.thesosagroup.com)

I'd check out this little site called SportsLogos.net, it's run by a bunch of Canadians but suprisingly it's still respectable (I kid).

I'd check out this little site called SportsLogos.net, it's run by a bunch of Canadians but suprisingly it's still respectable (I kid).

Actually, the King Nerd is Canadian and is monitored by misfit Canadian and American court jesters...

I saw, I came, I left.

The full brave face/primary logo was created based on a navaho quilt pattern and stylized to create an exciting, bold mark that recalled Native American art, abandoning the stereotypical images of the past. Major league baseball officials instantly approved of this ID and subsequently merchandise set sales records over the course of the next five years. Designed by Carlos Sosa (www.thesosagroup.com)

Of course, it would be nice if we had anything whatsoever to substantiate the claims that MLB officials "instantly approved of this ID" and "merchandise set sales records over the course of the next five years", but I've complained about the flagrant inacurracies of the "comments" before.

Get over hating the logo. You do remember what is right next to Victory Field don't you? A little something called the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indian and Western Art.

So yeah, maybe not so many Navajos in Indy, but the logo fits with having one of the best Native American Art museums around.

Yes, but it better represents native Americans than a stereotypical Chief Wahoo.

True, but it doesn't represent Indianapolis.

You do realize Indiana means "Land of Indians" and Indianapolis means "City of Indians" right?

But if you take it even more literally, their logo should be an image of Buddah, Krishna or the Taj Mahal. :P

Yes, but it better represents native Americans than a stereotypical Chief Wahoo.

You do realize Indiana means "Land of Indians" and Indianapolis means "City of Indians" right?

i think you missed his point... it does mean "land of indians"... but it doesn't mean "land of navajos"

Ya I agree.

Edited to protect myself from myself -L.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yes, I know what the city and state name means.

But:

1) The design does not seem to reflect the cultural design of Indians who used to occupy that area.

2) If the must use a Navajo theme, at least make the design look like an "I", not a "+"

3) My biggest gripe in sports identity is the tendency to focus on the nickname/mascot and not the location. In baseball, I prefer when hats have a city's initial, the home uniforms have the nickname, and the grey uniforms have the city name.

Hmm... the "I" on their hats seems pretty good. Why do they ever use this plus sign garbage? It looks like a Pow Wow logo.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived