Detroit Tigers AL Champion Ring.

sacker12

But hey, remember the original Ace Ventura? A third of the movie was him trying to find all of the AFC Championship rings.

As far as I know, the NFL still has conference championship rings. I have seen a Vikings one (from the 1970s, of course). Perhaps that dates to the time when the two conferences were in different leagues and maybe they don't have conference champ rings anymore, but they did for quite some time.

I know that the Bills have four AFC Championship rings for the four consecutive Super Bowl years. I'd have to assume the tradition continues even to today, but I know it did up to at least the mid-90's.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Why does the losing team deserve a ring. 2ND PLACE is not the world champs. An A.L. championship banner is good enough.

I think you didn't get the lore of baseball. Winning the league is a big prize. If you didn't believe it, let's go to ask old Giants fans about the 1951 NL pennant and that unforgettable shout "It's gonna be, I believe -- The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!"

Or the 1967 Impossible Dream. Or the 1944 Browns. Or the 1941 Dodgers.

Both teams didn't win the World Series lately but people didn't care with it. It was a wonderful run to win the league.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Even if the team didn't win a World Series, they should still get a ring for winning the league. Even though they didn't win the World Series, that doesn't mean that their hard work and effort was for nothing. Even if they aren't the World Champions, they still finished better than 28 other teams.

Even if they aren't the World Champions, they still finished better than 28 other teams.

You can't logically say that the Tigers finished better than 28 other teams.

The Cardinals beat the Mets 4-3, and the Tigers 4-1.

One could argue that the Mets were the second best team in baseball that year.

Oh and there is no prize for second place. The AL and NL are no longer treated like separate leagues who agree to play for the World Series. MLB is one league.

Oh, and I actually know a guy who played for a team that was runner up in the Super Bowl. He thought the ring was a joke.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived