MLB Schedule makers.What are they thinking.

buildingmaint

I just surfed past the Indians /Mariners baseball game and it has been delayed three times because of snow. Baseball is meant to be played in good weather, If it is not to be played in good weather why do they go south for spring training. With over half of the stadiums either a dome or in a warm climate ,would it not be wise to start the first two weeks in these venues?

I just surfed past the Indians /Mariners baseball game and it has been delayed three times because of snow. Baseball is meant to be played in good weather, If it is not to be played in good weather why do they go south for spring training. With over half of the stadiums either a dome or in a warm climate ,would it not be wise to start the first two weeks in these venues?

Starting the first two weeks on the road would not be fair for Northern Teams, besides its not always this cold. I guess that Global Warming is like the Groundhog if it sees its shadow 30 degrees on opening day. :D

But what about the fans of said teams?

Seriously, this is freakish weather the North is getting right now. I figure we don't need to drastically change things because this doesn't happen often.

(wonders if the Palm Trees back home froze)

Seriously, this is freakish weather the North is getting right now. I figure we don't need to drastically change things because this doesn't happen often.

Last week it was 70 in Buffalo. This is a weird winter. The first 3 bisons games were postponed because of snow in the field.

If it was always like this they should play the first few weeks in the South or Minnesota, Toronto, or Seattle. But it isn't so the schedule is fine.

Prediction: The Mets and Marlins series scheduled for Sept 20-23 will be wiped out due to Hurricane Jerry and since they can't make up the games, the Atlanta Braves will clinch the NL East.
Not quite. They might end up moving the games to Atlanta if need be, but any games that are needed for postseason implications must be played.

I thought the MLB strongly suggested that northern and/or cold-weather teams not play aty home until the second week. That's why the Red sox don't play at home until next week. I was surprised to see that Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and the Yankees both started at home instead of at warmer cities or in domes.

jp, I believe Cleveland started in Chicago this year (still not a good option) and the Pirates don't open at home until this Monday. (It's supposed to be in the 40s with a chance of snow in the morning.) Just a weird winter, I was at last season's opener, I had on shorts and got a sunburn.

Starting the first two weeks on the road would not be fair for Northern Teams, besides its not always this cold. I guess that Global Warming is like the Groundhog if it sees its shadow 30 degrees on opening day. :D

[/quote

Damn you Al Gore! You and your Global Warming

If we go south, the best tradition in all of baseball would be lost. The Reds always open the season at home.

Riiiiiight... the best tradition. :therock:

Didn't the Reds used to be the first game of the year? I think their start tiems wre always ahead of everyone else. That was a cool tradition (not the best in baseball, but still cool).

They can't handle a little cold? These are probably the same people who go to December and January football games in much colder weather. Besides weather this time of year is unpredictable, here in Maryland (which isn't that north) it was 70-80 degrees on Monday for Opening Day. Today the high is 41.

They can't handle a little cold? These are probably the same people who go to December and January football games in much colder weather. Besides weather this time of year is unpredictable, here in Maryland (which isn't that north) it was 70-80 degrees on Monday for Opening Day. Today the high is 41.

My "fans" comment was based on depriving them from watching their hometown heroes for a couple of weeks.

And I still wonder if Peoria's d@mn palm trees they have at the d@mn stadium froze to death.

I'm not surprised I mean just look at the Dodgers interleague schedules this years.

The Dodgers played the AL EAST this years and they play the Blue Jays 6x and they really drop the ball because this was their chance to put the Dodgers and the Yankees vs. each other and they dont even play the Red Sox. :cursing:

This is just funny in my mind. The M's haven't played since Friday, and even that isn't considered official. Three days, three cancellations all because of snow. Hell, the final game may get called because of the white stuff. I really don't remember a situation like this ever. :P

Archived