8th in the East

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...my...god... that was the most intense game of the year... maybe of the past few years. I honestly believed we had lost it after we dropped a 3 goal lead and trailed by 2... but wow... they really pulled it together. I got to watch it in HD, surround sound which just made the experience that much better. Just such a great game... felt like game 7 the whole duration.

I just am going to have trouble sleeping tonight... so nervous about tomorrow's game... and I want the Devils to win. I never thought I'd say that but now I'm begging for them to do so.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

That if he plays and gets the win he secures the single season record.
The presence of the shootout does not necessitate an asterisk.

Sure it does. Any game he won in a shootout would have been a tie under the old rules. You can make the claim that players records can only be governed by the rules at the time, but until shootout goals and saves count on the scoresheet, the win doesn't count for me.

Sure it does. Any game he won in a shootout would have been a tie under the old rules. You can make the claim that players records can only be governed by the rules at the time, but until shootout goals and saves count on the scoresheet, the win doesn't count for me.
I have to ask about a different record. If a team scores a point in 36 straight games, would you asterisk that one because of the Flyers?

I mean, granted, I think the shootout is stupid. If the game is tied after 60 minutes, it should stay a tie. But you have to go by the rules of the time.

LvZYtbZ.png

I have to ask about a different record. If a team scores a point in 36 straight games, would you asterisk that one because of the Flyers?

I mean, granted, I think the shootout is stupid. If the game is tied after 60 minutes, it should stay a tie. But you have to go by the rules of the time.

I would put an asterisk next to any record that was broken by way of a shootout win. If a team had 134 points but earned them in 67 shootout wins, I would mark it and still consider the Montreal Canadiens to be the record holder. Changing rules is a part of any sport. Raising or lowering the height of the pitchers' mound, the advent of the forward pass, the addition of the 3-point line, etc., but none of these artificially raised win totals. Like I said, if the NHL decides that, in a shootout, all the stats count, then my opinion might change. He lets in 3 shots, well then up goes his GAA and down goes his SV%, but for nothing to count except the final outcome, it's a cheap W and, therefore, not a record earned.

Oh...my...god... that was the most intense game of the year... maybe of the past few years. I honestly believed we had lost it after we dropped a 3 goal lead and trailed by 2... but wow... they really pulled it together. I got to watch it in HD, surround sound which just made the experience that much better. Just such a great game... felt like game 7 the whole duration.

I just am going to have trouble sleeping tonight... so nervous about tomorrow's game... and I want the Devils to win. I never thought I'd say that but now I'm begging for them to do so.

Oh ya that was a great game. But Raycroft almosed blew it there when they tied up the game. After they pulled him out i thought it was over from there. But the leafs came threw and got the win.

Now for once the leaf fans will be cheering on the devils and pray that they put in Brodure in lol.

4kv29i.jpg

I believe when Parent set the original mark of 47 wins they didn't even have overtime, meaning those are 47 regulation wins

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I would put an asterisk next to any record that was broken by way of a shootout win. If a team had 134 points but earned them in 67 shootout wins, I would mark it and still consider the Montreal Canadiens to be the record holder. Changing rules is a part of any sport. Raising or lowering the height of the pitchers' mound, the advent of the forward pass, the addition of the 3-point line, etc., but none of these artificially raised win totals. Like I said, if the NHL decides that, in a shootout, all the stats count, then my opinion might change. He lets in 3 shots, well then up goes his GAA and down goes his SV%, but for nothing to count except the final outcome, it's a cheap W and, therefore, not a record earned.

Ford Frick called, he's giving your asterisk idea 2 thumbs up.

Why are people so obsessed with asterisks?

Wow, the rules changed. Big deal. He's still the new record holder though. Get over it. The shootout is now a part of the game. Sucks for the old record holders, sure. But the game changes.

Cool. Don't recognize Brodeur's record. The NHL will though, and that's what matters.

Every record set by anyone was set fairly, according to the rules of the game at the time.

The rules of the game now are different from when Gretzky set all of his records. So does that mean we should put an asterisk next to Crosby's name if/when he breaks one of The Great One's records?

Cool. Don't recognize Brodeur's record. The NHL will though, and that's what matters.

Every record set by anyone was set fairly, according to the rules of the game at the time.

The rules of the game now are different from when Gretzky set all of his records. So does that mean we should put an asterisk next to Crosby's name if/when he breaks one of The Great One's records?

No. Why would you? If goals were changed to 2 pts or they added a 3rd assist, then yes, but none of the rule changes artificially inflate numbers for offensive players. I pointed that out earlier when I said "Changing rules is a part of any sport. Raising or lowering the height of the pitchers' mound, the advent of the forward pass, the addition of the 3-point line, etc., but none of these artificially raised win totals."

No. Why would you? If goals were changed to 2 pts or they added a 3rd assist, then yes, but none of the rule changes artificially inflate numbers for offensive players. I pointed that out earlier when I said "Changing rules is a part of any sport. Raising or lowering the height of the pitchers' mound, the advent of the forward pass, the addition of the 3-point line, etc., but none of these artificially raised win totals."

I agree, win total is affected by a rules change, but it's still a rules change. The game evolves. Brodeur, in the end, lucked out in that he's playing in an era where a game has to end with a winner. So good for him, he lucked out. He's still winning according to the rules of the game. He isn't doing anything illegal. He's playing by the rules.

As for artificially raising win totals, I would say the NHL's old system of allowing games to end in a draw was artificially altering the outcome of games. Sports, when it gets right down to it, is a competition, and the point of competition is to see which team will win. By allowing a game to end in a tie you're cheating the players and fans out of a decisive finish.

The main reason I love the introduction of the shootout is because it eliminates the possibility of a tie. I would be just as happy if they adopted the NBA's policy of simply adding extra periods each time an OT period ends with no game winning goal.

The shootout, though, does achieve the same result, and it gets things done quicker. Besides, you're lying to yourself if you don't find it exciting.

So I would say the SO eliminates the "artificially altering win totals" situation rather then creating it.

I'm actually quite pleased both Toronto and Montreal are out of it. The arrogance amongst the fans of both teams (mostly Montreal), all so incredibly confident they were going to the playoffs, was so overbearing to the point of annoying. I look forward to walking in there and smiling tomorrow.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived