Cubs elminate blue alternate jerseys?

fashman23

It may be a directive from Sweet Lou, or even higher up the organizational ladder.

Or, it might be that the team realized that they were wearing their "alternate", or "every now and again for a change of pace" jerseys for every :censored: game, and it had gotten out of hand. Now, they can wear their timeless pinstripes at home, their understated grays on the road, and not look like a softball team 6 nights out of the week.

You're a little late to this party...

First thread...

Moose

And it was also discussed before that in the MLB changes thread...

First mention...

Looks like it's covered. :)

To answer Vitamin D's question, it's not Lou, it's new team president John McDonough. You'd think a marketing guy would want to move more blue jerseys, but maybe he's looking to sell white and gray and bring back a new alt next year. Who knows. Five games in, I kind of like it, even though I'm not a huge fan of their current roads. There was just so much blue.

The talk between two Cubs fans older than me at work this afternoon brought forth these points:

1. Good riddance to the blue. If the Cubs want to do a blue jersey, they should do it 1989-style.

2. The roads arent anything special these days, either. Road uni perfection was apparently achieved in 1968, with red strictly as an accent color.

The talk between two Cubs fans older than me at work this afternoon brought forth these points:

1. Good riddance to the blue. If the Cubs want to do a blue jersey, they should do it 1989-style.

While I like the '82-89 blue (I have a Mitchell & Ness '84 Sutcliffe I got on eBay), I don't see the need to go back to it... I'm more in favor of the first half of your statement (and have really enjoyed seeing just the grey jerseys).

2. The roads arent anything special these days, either. Road uni perfection was apparently achieved in 1968, with red strictly as an accent color.

This I wouldn't mind as much. The '68 jerseys were nice, but, more importaintly, the old font was 100x better than the current version...

Moose

heh, I watched a bit of the Chiefs-Timber Rattlers game the other day, and the Chiefs essentially wear their own cap with the Cubs roads, only real differences being block numbers instead of Cub numbers, and PEORIA in Times New Roman instead of CHICAGO in Impact. Same plainness, same sleeve logo. heh, I could really have lived with the blues being full time roads/home alts, though, cus I've never warmed up to the roads that much. heh, raise your hand if you wanna hear my idea.

*watches as everybody sits on hands*

heh, I'll tell ya anyway. modify the wordmark the Cubs used frequently in the early 90s (the CHICAGO with the Cubs logo replacing the second C)...arch it, and put it on grays with a blue placket trimmed in red. For good measure, the sleeves would have blue cuffs trimmed in red. CHI and AGO in blue trimmed in white and red, back number also blue with white and red trim, back name and front number are red with white and blue trim. Heh, we keep the red-billed cap around cus I like it and I like bugging traditionalists :P and then for the first time since the 1910s we roll out gray caps with a blue C trimmed in white and red...or better yet, bring back the mad bear (or Rockford's pitching cub)...heh, it'd be better seen in concept form, gimme a day or two cus I'm beat.

heh, I'll tell ya anyway. modify the wordmark the Cubs used frequently in the early 90s (the CHICAGO with the Cubs logo replacing the second C)...arch it, and put it on grays with a blue placket trimmed in red. For good measure, the sleeves would have blue cuffs trimmed in red. CHI and AGO in blue trimmed in white and red, back number also blue with white and red trim, back name and front number are red with white and blue trim. Heh, we keep the red-billed cap around cus I like it and I like bugging traditionalists :P and then for the first time since the 1910s we roll out gray caps with a blue C trimmed in white and red...or better yet, bring back the mad bear (or Rockford's pitching cub)...heh, it'd be better seen in concept form, gimme a day or two cus I'm beat.

My favorite of the recent grays was the one-season 1990 roads that used the font you're describing. It said Cubs to me, but since they stretched it out in a style that looked a lot like the Peoria unis described above, maybe they were hard to read. Still, I'd like to see that 1990 style return, or see them use the "CHICAGO" font they use above the all blue C-ubs logo or some other close varation to a font based on the main C. The current font on the roads is what bugs me the most I think.

Of course, as a child of the late '70s/early '80s, the '82-'89 blue roads will always be my favorite roads, but blue should be limited to a road alt.

So I'd be interested to see this concept.

My favorite of the recent grays was the one-season 1990 roads that used the font you're describing. It said Cubs to me, but since they stretched it out in a style that looked a lot like the Peoria unis described above, maybe they were hard to read. Still, I'd like to see that 1990 style return, or see them use the "CHICAGO" font they use above the all blue C-ubs logo or some other close varation to a font based on the main C. The current font on the roads is what bugs me the most I think.

Of course, as a child of the late '70s/early '80s, the '82-'89 blue roads will always be my favorite roads, but blue should be limited to a road alt.

So I'd be interested to see this concept.

No question the 1990 road was one of the best:

nl_1990_chicago.gif

I think I remember that they elongated the letters because the media (Harry?) complained that they couldn't read the word Chicago... Well, who cares? I mean, if you don't know which team is which, you've got a serious problem...

And on the Chicago with the C-ubs logo as the second C - the only place I remember it in use anymore is on Vineline (the Cubs magazine):

vineline_288x87.gif

It certainly would be interesting to see that concept (shields eyes... :P )

Moose

The Cubs grey uniforms are very DRAB. Kinda like the Cubs play though most years.

They are making a big mistake ditching the blues. They gave the team some color. Zambrano probably isn't very happy about it. He always wore the blues. Kinda went with his personality.

And, why always the cracks about colored tops equaling a "softball uniform"? Most college teams have colored tops. Most high schools have colored tops. The teams like Oakland, Reds, White Sox, Marlins, Padres and Royals look GREAT in their alternates and give the team and the game of baseball some life. True "softball" uniforms were what the Pirates wore in the late 70's (colored tops and bottoms, high goofy looking stirrups and pants without belts). Those are softball uniforms.

MLB alternates in 2007, by and large, look like baseball uniforms with their team color(s) as the main color and either white or grey baseball pants. Its a good look.

Yes, Moose, those are the ones. I've tried to get my hands on one for years but they're rare (and usually too small). I see fans with them every once in a while.

And Dennis, I think the problem is just that -- Zambrano wore them every time. If the Cubs brought back a new blue next year and limited it to a road alt -- or even a "Sunday" alt or something like that -- I'd be ok with it. But the fact they allowed it to be worn so often makes me think it's ok to lose 'em for a year.

And I think adding some trim or piping might take away from the "softball" label, although I've never called them that personally.

This I wouldn't mind as much. The '68 jerseys were nice, but, more importaintly, the old font was 100x better than the current version...

Pictures, lads, pictures.

nl_1968_chicago.gif

Okay, I like the 1968 roads. Very nice.

For comparison:

pMLB2-1826270dt.jpg

I like the simplicity of the current roads, but red outlines are much better than white. I also have a soft spot for piping at the neck.

The Cubs' current roads are among my favorites in the league, and have been ever since they switched to that font. The only thing I would change is switching the current secondary logo for the 68 alt mark. But otherwise, it's as perfect as an MLB road can be.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived