LSU 1997 Independence Bowl Unis

TFoA

I liked tyhat Dinardo did some things with the uniforms. My wife's brother was on that team and has both the jersey and helmet. The next year was better because they wore yellow jerseys with the typical LSU shoulder stripes. I still wish they would update the helmet logo and bracket the numbers with a color, but the traditionalists won't let it happen.

I remember seeing a LSU jersey at a sporting goods store a good while ago, and it was yellow with purple and white shoulder stripes. The numbers were purple with a white dropshadow.

That's a fashion jersey. To my knowledge, LSU has never worn a jersey that style. Their 1990s yellow jerseys did not have shoulder stripes, but rather cuff stripes.

One other note on yellow LSU jerseys. The Tigers wore yellow jerseys in a '98 game at Florida because Spurrier didn't want them wearing white. Those yellow jerseys had purple numbers instead of the white numbers worn vs. Vandy in '96 and Notre Dame in the '97 Independence Bowl.

One other note on yellow LSU jerseys. The Tigers wore yellow jerseys in a '98 game at Florida because Spurrier didn't want them wearing white. Those yellow jerseys had purple numbers instead of the white numbers worn vs. Vandy in '96 and Notre Dame in the '97 Independence Bowl.

I don't doubt this, although it would be nice to see a pic. However, the rationale sounds more than a little fishy - how would Spurrier in any way have the authority to dictate what uniform LSU wears for a game? Especially one that's not part of their standard set - that would be like Les Miles telling Florida they have to wear orange jerseys next time the Gators visit Baton Rouge.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I don't doubt this, although it would be nice to see a pic. However, the rationale sounds more than a little fishy - how would Spurrier in any way have the authority to dictate what uniform LSU wears for a game? Especially one that's not part of their standard set - that would be like Les Miles telling Florida they have to wear orange jerseys next time the Gators visit Baton Rouge.

The NCAA had a rule instituted in 1983 that mandated home teams had to wear dark jerseys, and LSU wore purple at home from 1983-94. In 1995, LSU coach Gerry DiNardo petitioned the NCAA to change the rule. The NCAA amended the rule to say that home teams could wear white as long as they got permission from the visiting team, and that rule is still in effect for nonconference games. And one year in the 1990s (I believe it was 1997), Spurrier agreed to let LSU wear white vs. the Gators in Baton Rouge, provided the Tigers would wear a dark jersey the next time they visited Gainesville. Typical vintage-Spurrier head games. DiNardo did not like LSU's purple jerseys, and that's why they wore yellow.

At some point (and I'm not sure when), the SEC got permission to institute its own jersey rules for conference games and now home teams can wear what they want to wear for conference games. But teams still must get permission from the visiting teams in nonconference games. As stated earlier in this thread, Oregon State denied LSU's request for white in a September 2004 game in Tiger Stadium. Therefore, LSU had to don purple at home.

Goofy, nonsenical rules, but it's the NCAA, so what do you expect?

The NCAA had a rule instituted in 1983 that mandated home teams had to wear dark jerseys, and LSU wore purple at home from 1983-94. In 1995, LSU coach Gerry DiNardo petitioned the NCAA to change the rule. The NCAA amended the rule to say that home teams could wear white as long as they got permission from the visiting team, and that rule is still in effect for nonconference games. And one year in the 1990s (I believe it was 1997), Spurrier agreed to let LSU wear white vs. the Gators in Baton Rouge, provided the Tigers would wear a dark jersey the next time they visited Gainesville. Typical vintage-Spurrier head games. DiNardo did not like LSU's purple jerseys, and that's why they wore yellow.

At some point (and I'm not sure when), the SEC got permission to institute its own jersey rules for conference games and now home teams can wear what they want to wear for conference games. But teams still must get permission from the visiting teams in nonconference games. As stated earlier in this thread, Oregon State denied LSU's request for white in a September 2004 game in Tiger Stadium. Therefore, LSU had to don purple at home.

Goofy, nonsenical rules, but it's the NCAA, so what do you expect?

Unfortunately, no photo proof, but here's some written proof of the 1998 LSU yellow jerseys at Florida

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...ackval=GooglePM

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...ackval=GooglePM

• LMU locked this topic

Archived