Redskins' new coach

RyanB06

It a great PR move, but unless Dan Snyder stops interfering Joe Gibbs will leave after just 2 or 3 years as a dissapointment.

The Redskins must stop over spending and work on building a team not a collection of names like the New York Rangers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wow that came out of nowhere.  Gibbs will have a tougher time though.  At least, if anything, he can help mold the youngesters.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Big mistake on both sides if you ask me. Gibbs has been out of the game for a long while now, not to say he can't be a good coach again, but there must have been a strong enough candidate around with more recent experience.  And Gibbs is a fool to go back into a tough division, with a team that just can't get it right at the moment.

Bad move all around IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well its a good PR move Redskins fans are doing backflips, so thats all taht was. Dan Snyder is only concerned with publicity, thats why he signs al these Free Agents, thats why he hired Spurrier.

But you are right it wont work Joe Gibbs will regret this as Snyder's medlling continues.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I want to believe. As a Giants fan, i want to believe that both the Giants and Redskins will get out of the crappyness we both are in and become better together, so the rivalry can gain the steam and force it did in the 80's and 90's, when i remember it most fondly.

I think Coughlin will work as the Giants head man, and call me nuts, but i think Gibbs has the clout, and aura, to make Snyder butt out, and i think Gibbs can bring the team back...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I want to believe. As a Giants fan, i want to believe that both the Giants and Redskins will get out of the crappyness we both are in and become better together, so the rivalry can gain the steam and force it did in the 80's and 90's, when i remember it most fondly.

Amen, brother.  Those WERE the days.  And with the Tuna keeping shop down in Dallas, the NFC East has the potential to be a very fun division to watch in coming seasons.

I'm laying odds right now that the first MNF game of the year will be Dallas at Washington.  Parcells and Gibbs, Cowboys and Skins, two great rivalries for the price of one.

The thing about giving Gibbs the job is partly that he is not a young guy, and so probably won't be around that long anyway. For all the hype this just doesn't seem a good move either way for me. Maybe I will be wrong, but particularly being in this division, which potentially could be amongst the most competitive in the NFL, I find it hard to believe this move will work!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

But keep in mind, while Vermeil did this same thing with terrific success...he chose a different team.

The other things with Vermeil were firstly he had continued to work in Football as an analyst (albeit college football), and Gibbs has been out of the game completely for a decade. Thats not to say he hasn't kept himself in touch, but its not quite the same thing. The game has moved on a whole lot in 10 years.

Secondly, Vermeil took a job with virtually no pressure at the Rams, who had been awful for ages before Vermeil eventually turned them around.

There seems a real reluctnace around to hire good young coaches at the moment. I dare say the average age of coaching  appointments this year, with Gibbs and Coughlin already hired and the Cardinals in hot pursuit of Dennis Green is gonna be in the mid 50s.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

There seems a real reluctnace around to hire good young coaches at the moment. I dare say the average age of coaching appointments this year, with Gibbs and Coughlin already hired and the Cardinals in hot pursuit of Dennis Green is gonna be in the mid 50s.

Well, it seems to me that's the way it used to be.  Maybe it was just a perspective thing, but when I was just a young whippersnapper back in the '70s it seemed like all but a small handful of the head coaches in the NFL were at least 50 years old.  Now if we could just get 'em to start wearing suits again, and hats outside - real hats, not ball caps or visors (I'd be willing to grant Bum Phillips a pass if he ever came back, however.  He's still alive, isn't he?)

Archived