Durant = 1 & Done.

TFoA

Kevin Durant has decided to leave Texas and go pro. No link because I just heard this on the news.

If the Hawks use up a lottery pick to somehow get this guy then Billy Knight should be shot. That will be the final piece in his collection of 20 swingmen.

Β 

Β 

My opinion would probably be bashed to hell here, but I personally think the NBA should only let college seniors enter the draft.

Yes, I know that Durant and Oden are great players, but what if they bust? What will they fall back on? Now, granted in this day and age, college hoops are little more then a chance to show off your skills for the pros, but I feel a college education is worth more then the oodles of cash Nike or whatever company will toss your way.

Β 

My opinion would probably be bashed to hell here, but I personally think the NBA should only let college seniors enter the draft.

Yes, I know that Durant and Oden are great players, but what if they bust? What will they fall back on? Now, granted in this day and age, college hoops are little more then a chance to show off your skills for the pros, but I feel a college education is worth more then the oodles of cash Nike or whatever company will toss your way.

Here's my take. The oodles of cash (provided you don't piss it all away) can pay for your college education when you are done in the NBA. College can wait, the money may not.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well Durant's said that he's gonna go back to get his degree sometime in the future ala Shaq & Vince Carter, so I guess that answers the question about Durant.

As for Oden...I seriously think he's gonna stay, so I'm not worried about him.

But as for the whole idea of letting only seniors go into the NBA...it might cause a big stir, but I agree with you, that would be the best thing to do. So many guys just aren't ready yet, and a full college experience would help them in so many ways.

Β 

Β 

Well Durant's said that he's gonna go back to get his degree sometime in the future ala Shaq & Vince Carter, so I guess that answers the question about Durant.

But as for the whole idea of letting only seniors go into the NBA...it might cause a big stir, but I agree with you, that would be the best thing to do. So many guys just aren't ready yet, and a full college experience would help them in so many ways.

What happens if they get hurt?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What happens if they get hurt?

Who was the last guy to get hurt because he stayed too long in college hoops?

That said, I don't think they should extend the age limits. I agree with Seadragon's sentiments and also think that college is and experience at age 18-22 that you can not make up for at age 36. Nevertheless, Durant, et al should be aware of these issues, but should ultimately get to make their own choice. Some people skip college to take marginal jobs for immediate pay. At least this one is lucrative.

The Flame's statement also has some truth. Ultimately, I guess it is their mistake to make. But the rule would definately help some guys a) get more ready for the pros or b ) at least get well on the way to graduation so when they become Korleone Young, they'll have had that great experience. However, I just don't think it is right to make the decision for them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Good move. You go to college to position yourself into a place where you can get a good job. Durant's done that. If he stayed and either a) got hurt or b ) had a less than stellar year, his stock would go down and he wouldnt make nearly as much money. Right now his stock is as high as it can be, and hes taking full advantage.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Good move. You go to college to position yourself into a place where you can get a good job. Durant's done that. If he stayed and either a) got hurt or b ) had a less than stellar year, his stock would go down and he wouldnt make nearly as much money. Right now his stock is as high as it can be, and hes taking full advantage.

I can think of some guys who lost some draft position by staying (Wisconsin fans may recall that Michael Finley probably hurt his by staying for his final year), but I don't think Durant's stock was going to go down by sticking it out.

I also think that anyone can grow athletically, personally and intellectually in college and I would not criticize him one bit for staying (i.e. college can and even should be more than about getting a job).

While the (career ending) injury scenario is not likely, it is easy for me to say when I am not faced with the choice and that little nagging thought of "what if I get hurt."

I certainly don't blame him and while I'd like to think I'd stay in school in his shoes, who knows...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Who was the last guy to get hurt because he stayed too long in college hoops?

How many people have decided to stay an extra year? Not many top prospects. Some do, but its kind of a small sample size. All it will take is one top high schooler to have a serious injury and we'll never hear the end of it. A college education is worth alot, but it won't garuntee you millions of dollars like the NBA will. I'll admit that I love the one year college rule. I'd also like to see alot of players stay until their junior and senior years. I'm a huge college fan and rarely watch the NBA. But unfortunately professional sports has become a huge industry. We'll probably never see a Lebron James type player stay in college for more than a year (and I wouldn't be surprised if the age limit is eventually removed in the near future).

I tend to agree with this, but I'd allow someone to draft a high school player. They would hold their rights for seven years. Meanwhile, when the player has used up his college eligibility, he has a job ready and waiting for him.

LvZYtbZ.png

There's where I tend to disagree, will.

If I was in the shoes of an NBA GM, I'd rather take the experienced senior who has 4 years of play against competition that is at his level compared to an 18 year old kid who has risen to be the cream of the crop.

I'm just saying that you only get one chance to be young and go to college, I just wish that they'd stay. But, I can't do a thing about except hopefully root for Seattle to win the Lottery and draft Durant at number 1. :)

Β 

If I was in the shoes of an NBA GM, I'd rather take the experienced senior who has 4 years of play against competition that is at his level compared to an 18 year old kid who has risen to be the cream of the crop.

I'm just saying that you only get one chance to be young and go to college, I just wish that they'd stay. But, I can't do a thing about except hopefully root for Seattle to win the Lottery and draft Durant at number 1. :)

Now wait here. I'm not saying high school players would be eligible to play in the NBA, they'd have to be out of high school for four years before they could play. But they could be DRAFTED out of high school.

LvZYtbZ.png

Now wait here. I'm not saying high school players would be eligible to play in the NBA, they'd have to be out of high school for four years before they could play. But they could be DRAFTED out of high school.

I fail to see how that rule would benefit the NBA... teams would have to spend more on scouting, and would have a high potential to waste picks either on kids who didn't pan out, or players who wouldn't make it to the NBA for 7 years. Draft picks are great publicity and get fans to watch games - why would they want to waste that?

As far as players hurting their status by staying in college, how about Terrence Morris, the former Maryland player? He was projected to be a top-10 draft pick if he came out after his freshman year, but he stayed, and his draft stock slipped every year. He was finally drafted by the Hawks in the second round in 2001, and has been a fringe NBA player.

Going back a little farther, perhaps the best example of this is Randy Livingston. He was high school national player of the year in 1992, along with Jason Kidd, as a 6'4" point guard with unlimited potential. He suffered two serious knee injuries during two years in college at LSU, which robbed him of most of his athleticism. He was drafted in the second round, and while he's still in the NBA, he hasn't done much of note.

From a player's perspective, it's probably best to take the money when it's offered and be smart with it. A player drafted in the middle of the first round is going to get roughly $2.5 million, guaranteed. I think it's fair to say that most players at top D-1 basketball schools aren't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed. But let's say a player stays in school 4 years, teams discover flaws in his game, and he's drafted in the second round and is out of the league within a year, having made $500,000. Given average salaries for college grads - I'm guessing around $50-60K per year - it would take him 40 years to make up the $2 mil he left on the table.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Well at least Durant is getting out before all those illegal benefits catch up to him.

:D

As for serious input, I'd like for someone to show Durant the video of Shaun Livingston's knee imploding and then tell him about the benefits of college and see which one he takes. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy to see more players stay, I think we all would. It would bolster both the NCAA game and the NBA game but as long as these players are getting guaranteed money right out of school they'd be fools not to take it.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

college is and experience at age 18-22 that you can not make up for at age 36.

And by the same token, the young man's earning potential as an NBA player from age 18-22 is a hell of a lot greater than it will be at age 36.

Trust me, I believe the lifestyle of a young NBA baller has the potential to meet or exceed the experiences to be derived from four years of life on a college campus. Just a hunch on my part.

I agree that the players are crazy if they take a college education over guaranteed MILLIONS of dollars, but I just don't like seeing kids come out of high school. out of the growing number of kids who come out of high school i can think of three off the top of my head who were great. kobe, lebron, and garnett...now that may be because i don't watch the nba anymore, but where is sebastian telfair and darius miles and the other big name high school kids that were supposed to revolutionize the game?

so yes, they'd be crazy to turn down an NBA offer, but i don't think the NBA should offer to high school kids. it hasn't made the game exciting, it has made the game mediocre IMO.

Archived