Reds - Dbacks

floydnimrod

Last night when I was watching the Reds at Diamondbacks on FSN, I noticed that I'm not in love with those teams jerseys as much as I used to be.

While the Reds homes looks great, the roadies look, "blah." they just need something else, something else to put them over the top, they are too plain. I was thinking possibly the piping(like on the Home unis), but that still doesn't look right.

I'm a fan of the color scheme of Arizona, although I admit the red has gone too far in MLB. When I looked at Arizona's home uniforms, they look great, until I see the back. What kind of number font is that? The D-backs script has a western feel to it, like a desert, while the number font says, "we're your typical minor league hockey team."(nothing against any minor league hockey teams)

Anyone else not a fan of these things or have any "solutions"?

I disagree. I fell in love with the Reds away last night. Except for the black bill on the hats, which they could stand to lose these uniforms are perfect. The red-white-red striping pattern on the sleeves is somewhat of a throwback to their pullover uniforms and I wish they were represented on the home uniforms as well. I think it is the white that are blah and not the grays.

Arizona is still wearing Last season's Astros uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's the thing. Red's tweaks are major upgrades to their jersey, except for the front numbers with the shadow on the left chest. That's my only gripes about that.

The thing about the Diamondbacks' jerseys is that they plainly suck.

Good:

- Red as a primary is a good looking color for the team since it's desert.

- Back of the jersey is fine. Numbers look great and Font is better than what they had. It has the desert feel like you said, but its kind of necessary because they do play in the desert.

- D-Snake is better looking than the one they used to use.

- The font of the word mark is great for the jersey

Bad:

- The word mark needs to be "Arizona" or "ARIZONA" not "ARizona".

- Also, its "Diamondbacks" not "D-backs". They need to find a way to put the name on the jersey, or just place the logo on the side as some teams do.

- The jerseys are too plain. They look like the Astros and Nationals. They need to bring back the "snake skin" on the edges of the sleeves in order to have that Diamondbacks feel as they did with the old jerseys.

- Color scheme is only Sedona Red, Black, and Sand. The old color scheme used more diverse colors such as Turquoise, green, purple, black, grey, and copper.

- The "A" of the Diamondbacks' away logo needs to be recolored in a way so it can stand out on the cap.

- The D-Snake doesn't have the detailing as the old logo, so the base of the snake needs to be tan, with the outline of the snake red or black with the diamonds red or black. (see, another color would make it better to recolor the dynamics of the logos.)

- Alternate jerseys must go or be redesigned so the colors won't compare to another team's jersey.

- The sleeve logo desperately needs to be redesigned and reworked in order for it to look like a snake rather than a dirty joke.

The creativeness is great, but in order for the team to look less like a minor league team and like a major league team, its needs to rework some of the major flaws. The jerseys could have been so much better, but it came out like crappy, minor-league team's jersey. The Diamondbacks really need to find their identity in the National League West, but although they are introducing red into the division, the presentation came out flawed.

When I watched the highlights I lost track of which team was which

It's even worse when the D-Backs play the Nationals. I was watching them last week and I had no idea which team was which until they had a close-up of the batter. Imagine what it will be like when the D-Backs play the Astros.

BB52Big.jpg

I love the Reds new uniforms, both home and road, but really love the roads. They really do need to lose the black-billed cap, though. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Another complaint is that the red-white-red pattern on the sleeves and pants on the roads looks pink. They shoud just go with a single, red stripe, or replace the single white stripe with black.

I disagree. I fell in love with the Reds away last night. Except for the black bill on the hats, which they could stand to lose these uniforms are perfect. The red-white-red striping pattern on the sleeves is somewhat of a throwback to their pullover uniforms and I wish they were represented on the home uniforms as well. I think it is the white that are blah and not the grays.

Arizona is still wearing Last season's Astros uniforms.

When you talk about the black bill, if by "could stand to lose," you mean, "must immediately stop wearing in order for the new uniform not to be a total failure," then I agree completely. That black bill just does not work. You correctly identify the simplicity of the Reds set as a virtue, but the black bill works against that aesthetic. Way too busy to work with that road uniform.

Having seen Arizona's road uniforms a lot last weekend, I am ambivalent. They're not as Astros-looking as I feared, if only because the Astros foolishly underplay the dark red in favor of black in too many uniform elements. The D-Backs generally get the color scheme right by putting the dark red first. However, the black numbers on the road uniforms look terrible. Absolutely dreadful. They make the whole uniform look slapdash and amateurish.

Edit: I should add that the D-Backs wore their red "home" caps all series in Washington. Looked much better than they would have with the black caps. Still, that team badly needs to go to uniform version 2.1, where they develop an A logo that makes sense with their new scripts and home and road caps in dark red. Probably also need to use the DB logo on the road caps and put the D logo on the sleeves. But the point is that they wore the red "home" caps all series long in Washington, and it looked great.

20082614447.png

I have to say that all of the claims that were running rampant through this board concerning the D-Backs new uniforms and colors looking too much like the Astros turned out to be pretty unfounded. They look nothing like the Astros in my opinion. If anything they kind of resemble the Angels if anything. I really like the look and think it'll probably stand the test of time.

you can see when they're batting how good an all red hat would look with the road uniforms because they were too lazy to get a set of helmets with the black bill.

Wow, that really does make a world of difference for their road uniforms. They look great at bat, mediocre in the field.

The thing is, every time I see their new running-man logo, I can't help but think that the mascot is wearing a better Reds uniform than the players. Simple, clean uniform, wishbone-C with no block letters, no black drop shadows, and a pillbox cap. Perfection. Too bad only the mascot gets to wear that uniform!

20082614447.png

Meh. They should just do a gray version of the home for the road (at least as an alt.) The cap doesn't look like it belongs with that jersey at all (yeah, I know... I know.)

Of course I feel the same way about the Yankees (sans the stripes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thought that just occurred to me:

You could make an A monogram out of a "d," a "b," and a crossbar. Why didn't the D-Bags do that? It would've looked like a stylized A with a hidden D and B. Instead, they just went with a wang.

A.jpg

Work in progress, but that's what I have in mind.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived