USFL.INFO: Arizona Wranglers Section Done

Mac the Knife

The first team section of USFL.INFO is now complete, and I'd like to get your feedback on it.

USFL.INFO's first section consists of 28 web pages aimed at providing information on the history of the Arizona Wranglers (though admittedly some contain very little information). The site can be accessed one of two ways:

at usfl.info/wranglers/, or, if it's easier for you to remember,

at arizonawranglers.info.

So let's see... assuming 28 pages per team, times 19 USFL teams... plus roughly 20-25 pages about the league as a whole... about 550-575 total web pages by May 11th. Man, I need to get back to work on this!

nav-logo.png

You sir are a god.....GREAT WORK! I live in Phoenix...maybe I should stop by those offices and see if they're still there, haha.

David

If you do, take a pic... I'll post it on the site in a "Where Are They Now?" section I might put together... though I guess it'd be "What Is It Now?" in this case.

And thanks for the kudos, guys. The site's kind of graphic-intensive in spots, so I opted for the most simplistic navigation scheme I could think of - it limits the amount of information I can put on an individual page without distorting it somewhat, but I can live with it I suppose.

I deviated from the team sections yesterday to focus on some other areas of the site, but have found a dearth of information on the 1985 USFL playoffs and championship game. If anyone has any details on those games beyond their scores, I'd appreciate it.

The wife says, "you should write a book about it with all the research you're doing." Perhaps I just might do that once I get through the site's design.

nav-logo.png

I hate you David McIntire.

You've made me that much more nostalgic and melancholy about my late, departed USFL.

How I miss a fairly decent version of outdoor spring pro football.

And those uniforms . . . . how I pine to see the Maulers and Gunslingers take the field in their majestic colors. And let's not even start on the Michigan Panthers . . . . sublime, simply sublime I say.

You're an evil man for toying with my emotions in this manner.

Amazing work.

I was born two years after the USFL folded (heh, now you guys feel old :D) but I've always had an interest...after all, the greatest quarterback of all-time played in the league, so I have to take an interest.

That's right, Rick mother :censored:ing Neuheisel. G.O.A.T.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I deviated from the team sections yesterday to focus on some other areas of the site, but have found a dearth of information on the 1985 USFL playoffs and championship game. If anyone has any details on those games beyond their scores, I'd appreciate it.

I still talk occasionally with a former co-worker who had Baltimore Stars season tickets. If you're interested, I can see if he has anything to share.

Also, I still need to get pictures of my Philadelphia Stars windbreaker and Baltimore Stars hat (assuming it still exists) to send to you.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I hate you David McIntire.

You've made me that much more nostalgic and melancholy about my late, departed USFL.

How I miss a fairly decent version of outdoor spring pro football.

And those uniforms . . . . how I pine to see the Maulers and Gunslingers take the field in their majestic colors. And let's not even start on the Michigan Panthers . . . . sublime, simply sublime I say.

You're an evil man for toying with my emotions in this manner.

I appreciate the sentiment, but who the :censored: is David McIntire?

Amazing work.

I was born two years after the USFL folded (heh, now you guys feel old :D) but I've always had an interest...after all, the greatest quarterback of all-time played in the league, so I have to take an interest.

That's right, Rick mother :censored:ing Neuheisel. G.O.A.T.

Here I thought you were referring to Chuck Fusina.

nav-logo.png

That reminds me: any plans to have some nice, clean images of the uniforms, perhaps emulating the glorious work of CowboyKevin? Those tiny MSPaint gifs on OSC's USFL site just won't do.

Oh, by the way, Vince Evans, bitches.

evans.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That reminds me: any plans to have some nice, clean images of the uniforms, perhaps emulating the glorious work of CowboyKevin? Those tiny MSPaint gifs on OSC's USFL site just won't do.

Oh, by the way, Vince Evans, bitches.

evans.jpg

Only if someone wants to take that ball and run with it. Considering my plans for the site's overall content (500-600 pages at the launch date), uniforms aren't high on my priority list - although each team's color scheme will get its own section. If someone does something uniform-related (that's of better quality than on the OSC), I'll gladly put it up.

nav-logo.png

I appreciate the sentiment, but who the :censored: is David McIntire?

Trapper's brother. I just have to throw it in there every now and then in the event he's reading these threads.

I used to think I was a USFL scholar, but I have to tell you I had no idea that San Diego was intended to be an original USFL city. I'll be interested to see whether you can come up with any information for some of the other rumored-but never materialized USFL franchises. I distinctly recall reading in The Sporting News (in 1984) that Minneapolis and Seattle were going to enter the league in 1985 and there were a few articles in the St. Louis papers around the same time that the USFL was coming here with (ironically) former Ram head coach Ray Malavasi at the helm.

San Diego got rebuffed for a USFL franchise not once, but twice. In 1983 the guys who wound up with the LA Express were originally going to put their team there, but the city wouldn't let them use Jack Murphy Stadium.

A year later, the Tathams were given a franchise intended for San Diego, but again the city wouldn't let them use Jack Murphy, so they placed the team in Tulsa, and the Oklahoma Outlaws were born.

Then there's the story of how Miami came close to getting the Washington Federals, how the Oklahoma Outlaws would shop the team around to about a half-dozen cities after playing only two games in Tulsa, how Jim Joseph went from being a part-owner in Oakland to having his own franchise in Los Angeles... then Phoenix, the Blitz/Wranglers trade... there's a ton of stories to be told.

Groups from both Minneapolis and Seattle applied for USFL franchises for 1984, and both cities would've been better than Tulsa proved to be. Each city was considered a favorite because they played in domes and could host championship games, but neither had an ownership group that had the kind of financial clout the likes of Ed DeBartolo in Pittsburgh or William Dunavant in Memphis. But by 1985 the USFL's expansion ship had sailed of course.

I think what you're thinking of regarding Malavasi was something called the International Football League, which held a press conference in 1985 and virtually disappeared after that. I do remember they had a flag in the background and a football helmet with the league's logo at the press conference, and planned to put a franchise in Honolulu among other places, but other than that I can't recall much about it.

nav-logo.png

Archived