2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs Official Thread

jkrdevil

Anybody else see Alfredssons late Slapshot at Niedermeyer, that was almost as dirty as Prongers elbow.

Sorry, no it isn't.

Barely any time left on the clock and took a slapshot at another player, that is dirty.

Yeah, it is, no question about it. Still not as bad as intentionally targeting a guy's head with your elbow though. Besides, considering the way the Ducks conducted themselves in game 3, they have to expect some retaliation.

Yeah it is

No, it isn't. Taking a shot at someone with barley any time left is crap you see kids do in rec leagues. Was it dirty? Yes. Was it in bad taste? Yes. Was it uncalled for? Yes. Could he have seriously paralysed or killed Niedermayer like Pronger could have done to McAmmond with his elbow? No.

Uh, yes it could have. A piece of frozen rubber smacked at upwards of 50 MPHs at your dome does have the potential to kill you my friend.

Yes, but then just playing the sport could get you killed if you look at it that way. He took a shot. The shot was in no real danger of seriously injuring Niedermayer.

Given the way the Ducks conducted themselves they had to expect something like this.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the way the Ducks conducted themselves they had to expect something like this.

That was still pretty dumb on Alfredsson's part. He knows the league is handing out game suspensions, and even if this isn't at the same level as Pronger's elbow, the league might still think it's worth a game. He was basically tempting fate, and for no apparent reason. If the Sens lose tonight, and then lose Alfredsson for Game 5, they're Screwed, with a capital S. (If they lose tonight, but Alfie isn't suspended, they're just screwed with a small 's'.)

CCSLC signature.png

I dont know much about Don Cherry (Or however you spell his name) but he has to be by far the biggest idiot i've ever heard. Why would they put this hack on TV? He's promoting hockey like he's Vince McMahon.

What made him an idiot tonight? I thought he was absolutely right with almost everything he said... but I only caught the first portion of it, I missed everything after the first commercial - if anything happened then.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Alfredsson shooting the puck at Niedermayer doesn't surprise me... he has pulled stupid crap like this before. Anyone remember the Sundin stick-going-over-the-glass incident that Alfie later mocked and got rung out for? This just goes to show how poor of a sportsman he really is. I hope something is done about that because there is no question it was intentionally shot at the other teams captain, potentially with the intent to injure. If it had gotten more height than it did... he would most likely be in a hospital bed at the moment with facial fractures and/or a concussion. That was dirty and completely unnecessary and I hope something is done about it.

Congrats Ducks on the win!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Anybody else see Alfredssons late Slapshot at Niedermeyer, that was almost as dirty as Prongers elbow.

Sorry, no it isn't.

Barely any time left on the clock and took a slapshot at another player, that is dirty.

Yeah, it is, no question about it. Still not as bad as intentionally targeting a guy's head with your elbow though. Besides, considering the way the Ducks conducted themselves in game 3, they have to expect some retaliation.

Yeah it is

No, it isn't. Taking a shot at someone with barley any time left is crap you see kids do in rec leagues. Was it dirty? Yes. Was it in bad taste? Yes. Was it uncalled for? Yes. Could he have seriously paralysed or killed Niedermayer like Pronger could have done to McAmmond with his elbow? No.

Uh, yes it could have. A piece of frozen rubber smacked at upwards of 50 MPHs at your dome does have the potential to kill you my friend.

Yes, but then just playing the sport could get you killed if you look at it that way. He took a shot. The shot was in no real danger of seriously injuring Niedermayer.

What the hell are you talking about?? Alfredsson intended it to hit Niedermayer as much as Pronger intended his elbow to make contact with McAmmond. The elbow managed to snag McAmmond while the puck came short. It was a hard shot by Alfie that I'm sure was meant to leave a mark on their number 1 defenceman and captain. Luckally it didnt. It would be different if the puck just somehow deflected off a bunch of sticks and hit Niedermayer or if he was somehow directly in the way of the net when a shot was taking place. Niedermayer was not in front of the net and no one was between the two, Alfie took a shot with the intent to hit Niedermayer and hopefully cause some damage. There is no difference between the two, both were blatent attempts to injure and one of them managed to do its job while the other did not. Come on man, you know it was a dirty, unsportsmanlike play and its not like Alfie has NEVER done a stupid act like this before such as I mentioned earlier.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Sorry, no it isn't.

Yeah it is

Listen up Sabres fans, you probably could have won the Cup last season had you beat Carolina.

This year though? Not a chance. Ottawa dispatched you in five games. Now Ottawa's got a fight on their hands with Anaheim. If you couldn't take Ottawa to the limit what makes you think the Sabres would fair any better against the Ducks?

Slow down there, This has nothing to do with me being a Sabres fan. Ottawa won fair & square, but your captain just shot a puck at another players head (most likely) intentionally. There is no excuse for that, he should be suspended for Game 5 on Wednesday.

saBS.png

I dont know much about Don Cherry (Or however you spell his name) but he has to be by far the biggest idiot i've ever heard. Why would they put this hack on TV? He's promoting hockey like he's Vince McMahon.

What made him an idiot tonight? I thought he was absolutely right with almost everything he said... but I only caught the first portion of it, I missed everything after the first commercial - if anything happened then.

All he really did during the second segment (which was short) was call Arnold Schwarzenegger a tree hugger and then repeat his stance on fighting saying to Dick Ebersol (NBC Sports president) if there is more fighting there will be bigger audience (which I think is true).

I've seen him before, I saw him tonight, and I'm unmoved. I love hockey more than any other sport, but Don Cherry is either a blithering buffoon, or a man who does a spectacular job of playing the blithering buffoon. This is a man who's made his name off of loud suits, a loud mouth, and home videos glorifying fighting. Is there an allure to fighting in hockey? Absolutely. I scream as much as the next fan when two players drop the gloves. But to take it to the level that Cherry does - actively promoting fighting as something which should be brought to the forefront, for the betterment of the league, is absurd. This isn't 1977, George Roy Hill isn't directing, and the Broad Street Bullies are not something to be emulated leaguewide because bloodlust might drive ticket sales.

Don, if that's what you like, if you truly believe that the NHL needs to be like the UFC to make inroads into the mainstream, then take your act and your wardrobe up to that goon league in Quebec. (Is that atrocity still up and running?) Promoting an abundance of fighting is something that would significantly reduce the skill and beauty of the sport's highest level.

Oh, and someone please explain to me why face shields are detrimental to the game, and should be outlawed except for players with pre-existing conditions. Better yet, someone explain it to Bryan Berard. And while you're at it, get those pesky, detrimental facemasks out of the NFL.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh, and someone please explain to me why face shields are detrimental to the game, and should be outlawed except for players with pre-existing conditions. Better yet, someone explain it to Bryan Berard. And while you're at it, get those pesky, detrimental facemasks out of the NFL.

I can see the argument against visors. It's much like bicycle helmets, where more people are hurt while riding a bike with one on than without one. It's not that the bike helmets aren't effective it's just that people have a tendency to be more reckless around someone with one or while wearing one because there is an illusion of the person being more safe than they actually are. It's the same thing with visors with them one players tend to be more reckless with their sticks because there is the feeling the visor will protect them and the other players more than it actually will. Certainly it would have prevented Berard from being hurt but the league ahs to look out if the number of injuries it will cut down will out way the number of injuries it might cause.

As for Cherry again it best not to take him to seriously. While I think he believes most of the stuff he says I think he tones it up for TV.

Don Cherry reminds me of Dick Vitale. I was honestly expecting an "Awesome Baby!" from Cherry......

As for Alfredsson, that was a dirty play by a classless captain. It was also pretty stupid, really. Ottawa had just tied the game, had the momentum, and he single-handily gave Anaheim a reason to get pissed off and take the game away from Ottawa. And now Ottawa has to go to Anaheim with no momentum and face a rested Pronger.

So Sundin actually throwing his stick is perfectly fine...

oh Neon.....

He never said throwing the stick was fine. He said that Alfredsson's mockery of the stick-throwing incident was classless.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

So Sundin actually throwing his stick is perfectly fine...

oh Neon.....

Have you ever seen a video of that incident? Essentially Sundin had half his stick and while swinging around its remains in anger or something it slipped from his grip and flew into the stands. This was during a game against the Sens in the playoffs if I remember correctly. The next game the gutless Alfie mocked it during a stoppage in play and got in trouble for it (as he should have). Tis a shame you had never heard of this before or you must have blocked it from your memory.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Obviously not because I have brought it up many times before where you seemed to dodge the subject, So your saying it was an accident that it went into the stands? I'm not sure if it was a Senators game i'm pretty sure Alfy did a few games after that against the leafs. He MOCKED someone....how in god's name is it "gutless" It's not like he's going after a guy with an elbow lime Mr.Class did against Niedermayer...

And Roger I know he didn't mention, I brought it up because the two incidents were similar, for christs sake am I not allowed bringing up something similar anymore?

Hi, how are you?

Obviously not because I have brought it up many times before where you seemed to dodge the subject, So your saying it was an accident that it went into the stands? I'm not sure if it was a Senators game i'm pretty sure Alfy did a few games after that against the leafs. He MOCKED someone....how in god's name is it "gutless" It's not like he's going after a guy with an elbow lime Mr.Class did against Niedermayer...

And Roger I know he didn't mention, I brought it up because the two incidents were similar, for christs sake am I not allowed bringing up something similar anymore?

Mocking a player for an accident is a childish move. I have never dodged the subject before and earlier in this thread or another I stated Pronger's elbow on McAmmond was not as bad as Domi's on Niedermayer a few years back. Yes it was stupid but THAT at least is part of the game (hitting players). Shooting a puck at a player NOT the goalie on purpose is plain stupid and childish. Mocking a player for an accident is even more childish. How can you say mocking a player for an accident is fine? Its something a 13 year old would do, not a "matrue" professional hockey player. He is supposed to be a role model and by shooting a puck intentionally at a player or just being stupid and mocking a player is not the kind of sportsmanship he should be displaying for his fans. I am sure if someone had shot a puck at Alfie on purpose or if he had say, accidently thrown his stick into the crowd (which resulted in a suspension or fine if I can remember) and have someone mocking him the next game for it you wouldn't be pretty pissed off? Come on man, you know both actions were stupid on his part, the second even more so because it actually could have resulted in serious injury.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Something similar? What are you talking about? How is you assuming Neon said it was okay for Sundin to throw a broken stick into the crowd (which he never at all) similar to the fact that Alfredsson took a slapshot towards Scott Niedermayer's direction?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

never mind afredsson and his blatent attempt to shoot a puck through neidermayer, i'm more disturbed by the Mighty Ducks having there names etched on the stanley cup.

They may be Mighty, but the cup will only read "Anaheim Ducks". Nothing to worry about there, Disney won't have their fingerprint on the cup from this like they would have had they won in '03 (even though I don't think Disney was still involved with them at that time). I'd rather see "Scott Niedermayer" than "Daniel Alfredsson" on it anyday...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

never mind afredsson and his blatent attempt to shoot a puck through neidermayer, i'm more disturbed by the Mighty Ducks having there names etched on the stanley cup.

They may be Mighty, but the cup will only read "Anaheim Ducks". Nothing to worry about there, Disney won't have their fingerprint on the cup from this like they would have had they won in '03 (even though I don't think Disney was still involved with them at that time). I'd rather see "Scott Niedermayer" than "Daniel Alfredsson" on it anyday...

... preferrably I'd like to see Rob Niedermayer on it....

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived