jkrdevil

2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs Official Thread

- Anaheim changed its name at the best time. "Mighty Ducks" engraved on the Cup would have been a travesty.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with "Anaheim Ducks" being engraved on the Cup.

"Mighty Ducks" though? Lord Stanley would have rolled over in his grave.

That would have been awesome! Yes the "Ducks" is a more classy name... but the Mighty Ducks would have just been pretty cool. I could have placed some bets that they would somehow find a way to spell that wrong... hell, they spelled Islanders "Ilanders" on the cup...

So Icecap... when will you jump off the Sens bandwaggon and back onto the Leafs one?

Seeing Teemu with the cup brought a tear to every Winnipegger's eye. If not, you're a freakin' robot!!

Congrats Teemu & Randy.....

Glad to see the Ducks win it. Of all the teams I can remember deciding I truly despised at one point or another...I can't remember the Ducks being one. So therefore, I've always kinda liked them. Plus I just got my awesome jade old Ducks alt from way back when, so hey, it was an obvious choice. And like it or not, I chose to root American also.

Talking to JQK, he wished to pass along this...

------

To Ottawa Fans: HAhahAHAhaHAHAhaAHAhaha!!!!

To Anaheim Fans: You're Welcome

New Jersey Devils and Scott Neidermeyer Fan.

------

(He called the Sens a big bug-a-boo for the Devils, and Scott Neidermeyer left the Devils only because he could play with his brother.)

I wasn't able to watch that much of the games...is anybody else surprised that Neidermeyer won the Conn Smythe? I was sure it'd be Giguere. Do you think they just gave it to the Captain, or do you guys who watched more than me think it was deserved?

And further fact is that the Sens are yet again another team on the Canadian trend that plowed through the playoffs only to be completely overmatched in the finals.

...because nothing says "overmatched" like extending the series to seventh and final game. :rolleyes:

Something the mighty Sens couldn't do but the 8th and 6th seeded Edmonton and Calgary teams could...

I'm not going to lie, my eyes kind of watered when I saw Scott hand the cup off to his brother... it is so awesome when you see things like that happen.

That was a great moment. Scott coming over to Anaheim to help his brother win the cup. Don't be disappointed Canadians, since Anaheim has more Canadian players than any other team (or so I heard) the cup will be in Canada for while ^_^

.. and Fred T. Jane... I'll offer a penny and a dead raccoon for that space for rent....

by the way... it seems like the writers in ESPN and Fox Sports website don't have much creativity...

ESPN_07_Cup.png

Fox_Sports_07_Cup.png

- Anaheim changed its name at the best time. "Mighty Ducks" engraved on the Cup would have been a travesty.

That would have been awesome! Yes the "Ducks" is a more classy name... but the Mighty Ducks would have just been pretty cool. I could have placed some bets that they would somehow find a way to spell that wrong... hell, they spelled Islanders "Ilanders" on the cup...

So Icecap... when will you jump off the Sens bandwaggon and back onto the Leafs one?

I was never on the Sens bandwaggon, I was on the Canada bandwaggon :flagcanada:

I am, have always been, and always will be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, and come tomorrow it's back to hating the Sens on a regular basis :P

Lord Stanley's spun so much he's a good 12 feet under right about now... after having "TAMPA BAY", "SEASON NOT PLAYED", "CAROLINA" and "ANAHEIM" engraved on there in consecutive seasons... :P

Your just upset because Toronto hasnt won or even been to the Stanley Cup Finals since 1967! Oh yeah, I went there

And once again the cup will not return to Canada. It shall now chill on a Duck pond in Southern California!

I thought it would have been neat for Jiggy to get it for this one reason:

He would have been the first of the four MVPs-on-losing-team to also be MVP-on-winning-team

He would have been the first of the four MVPs-of-losing-team to also be MVP-of-winning-team

Bernie Parent

Your just upset because Toronto hasnt won or even been to the Stanley Cup Finals since 1967! Oh yeah, I went there

And once again the cup will not return to Canada. It shall now chill on a Duck pond in Southern California!

Congratulations on winning the Cup, it's always nice to see a team in the bottom third in attendance win it all... again.

It shall now chill on a Duck pond in Southern California!

... I never knew the Stanley Cup can float...

Lord Stanley's spun so much he's a good 12 feet under right about now... after having "TAMPA BAY", "SEASON NOT PLAYED", "CAROLINA" and "ANAHEIM" engraved on there in consecutive seasons... :P

True, but it's all just insult to injury every since the flu won it in 1919 :D

Congratulations on winning the Cup, it's always nice to see a team in the bottom third in attendance win it all... again.

Damn straight!

Go Devils!

Also now on the subject of the Stanley Cup: I thought it was great for Teemu to finally win the cup. It was always weird seeing him not on the Ducks. Also it was great to see Scott Niedermayer hand the cup to his brother. I would have loved to see the Mighty Ducks win the cup though.

Coming soon....a brand new super sig.

I'm gonna enjoy this thoroughly.

--Roger "NOW!!!" Clemente.

After 1994 Playoffs the NHL had potential for great growth it was expanding in new markets and had one of the greatest postseasons in NHL history.

It had for the first time in eons a good deal to be on Network TV (Fox) I know its Fox but Fox was just right for the NHL, and now look how Fox has grown.

It had No Baseball Playoffs in October, traditionally the start of the NHL season is ignored because it starts against the playoffs and World Series.

So he calls for a lock out at the absolute worst possible time.

Fans starved for sports could have watched these early season hockey games and given the NHL more exposure. Just think back to those weekdays in October 1994 what that was like and tell me after the World Series was spiked you would not have loved a hockey game.

This lock out wiped out the momentum created by the 1994 playoffs and hurt the TV deal with Fox before it ever even started.

Then there came over expansion and content tinkering of rules that have made the sport harder to watch for traditional fans.

Meanwhile ESPN did no marketing for them, Bettman should have been marketing his game better, and making arrangements with ESPN to get this done. But noooooooooooooo he wanted bullets to shoot at the NHLPA during the abandoned 2004/05 season.

Then after the lockout he signs a deal with the Witness Relocation Channel aka OLN aka Vs. Sammy the Bull Grevano can go on Vs. give his address and stand in front of his house and still be safe from the Gotti family because nobody will know he did it.

Still on NBC which ain't a bad deal its a major network the NHL is doing a piss poor job marketing itself. Remember Bettman's background is marketing he has faield and thus he has failed as Comish.

Hell thats an understatement.

I hereby declare:

GARY BETTMAN IS THE WORST COMISH IN THE HISTORY OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS

It doesn't help your arguement if you're making half-assed jokes throughout......

Here's the thing: Fox didn't want to renew their contract. ESPN didn't want to renew their contract. They weren't getting the viewership numbers because hockey is a terrible-televised sport. It doesn't bode well for the average American's sports fan's attention span, especially when a good portion of them don't know the rules and strategies of hockey.

NBC and the NHL made their sharing-profits deal before the lockout, which means no basic-TV channel was willing to pay the NHL for television rights. Post-lockout, ESPN was offering a similar deal, whereas OLN/Versus was offering money. Naturally, they followed the money and the opportunity to be the main sports league on a channel, instead of being ESPN's 4th option.

It's not Bettman's fault that Americans aren't turned on to hockey as they are to the NFL, NBA, and MLB. The NHL needed an economic change. Down the road, you'll see the positives far out-number the negatives.

The only thing Bettman's really erred on is expanding too fast, too soon.

I figured Scott Niedermayer would get the Conn Smythe Trophy. Before the Finals I said this was a matchup of two unspectacular teams, one that could score when they needed to (Ottawa) vs. one that could clamp down on defense when they needed to (Anaheim). Well, the Ducks' D didn't exactly dominate the Sens' offense, but they still stopped the Sens when they needed to. So, the MVP award had to go to a defensive player.

I could have placed some bets that they would somehow find a way to spell that wrong... hell, they spelled Islanders "Ilanders" on the cup...

Yeah and isn't Leaves misspelled "Leafs" or something stupid like that?

He would have been the first of the four MVPs-of-losing-team to also be MVP-of-winning-team

Bernie Parent

The list I have shows Parent winning the Smythe in the Flyers' two winning years (74 and 75) and then Reggie Leach winning it when they lost in 76.

Several times I've heard that the Ducks are the first west coast team to win the Cup, including a couple times tonight on HNIC.

Of course, this is incorrect. The Ducks are merely the first NHL west-coast team to win the cup.

The cup has been won by teams in Vancouver, Seattle, and Victoria previously.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Bernie Parent

The list I have shows Parent winning the Smythe in the Flyers' two winning years (74 and 75) and then Reggie Leach winning it when they lost in 76.

my bad, got my years mixed up

At least Ottawa fans can look forward to the upcoming CFL season....

what's that?

oh... sorry.

(I know that was kind of low, but I've always been annoyed by the lack of Ottawa's presence in the CFL.)

And, somehow it figures that the Ducks' Web site crashed not long after the game ended.