Twins Ballpark

no97

The new Minnesota Twins ballpark renderings are scheduled to be unveiled today at a downtown press conference at Noon CDT, and should be available either on the Twins main site, or on their New Ballpark site. The images you see there prior to Noon CDT are the old images that have been floating around for over a year...

They did give a few sneak peaks during the Twins/Yankees game on TV last night, but I just looked up as they were taking them off the screen.

Also, to note, if you don't know, the team and county has just finalized the land purchase, and should start moving dirt in May. This is scheduled to open April 2010...

Moose

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news for the "Twinkies".

I may be a Royals fan, but the Twins are cool in my book. There are always loyal Twins fans every year ay Kauffman for the series against them. They've always been class acts.

I look forward to making a Roadie up there to the new digs.

I never wanted to see a game in the Hump, its a dump.

I can't wait. It's too bad there's no retractable roof in the mix, but maybe they'll surprise us today. That being said, I love going to The K for games, the Royals fans are awesome hosts. They know their baseball and you don't have to take any guff beyond the good natured kind.

Two summers back we were there for the August games where Lew Ford robbed a Sweeney home run in extra innings and they broke out the Negro League throwbacks for the Sunday game. It was only 95 that Sunday unlike the 102 for last August's Sunday game where we completed the 4 game sweep, but I digress. We're sitting out in left field chatting with some Royals fans and I made the comment "What's with this tall blue roof you all have here? I've never seen one like that. We're used to a much lower lower white ceiling."

The Royals fan laughed and said "We don't need a roof because we don't have blizzards in July."

To which my buddy Dan replied "...but mainly you don't have baseball in October, either."

We all laughed hard and Royals fan bought us some brews. Then we got a game ball and the game's lineup card from from Joe Nathan in the bullpen.

Not to take this too far off track, but when are they going to start the Kauffman renovations seen here? I too realy enjoyed my trip to Kansas City a couple years ago (although it was for an Angels game, not Twins), and realy enjoyed the park. I think that renovation would make an already nice ballpark one of the best.

Moose

Supposedly after this season.

The whole Renovation thing was a joke. The Royals don't have a plan finalized. They are getting more money than they really need.

Not to get too far off track.

They were going to build a 9,000 seat ampitheater in outside center field. but that has been scrapped due to fan backlash.

They can't get a 45,000 seat stadium filled, let alone a 9,000 ampitheater. Ridiculous.

Once they finalize the plans (supposed to be soon), I'll post them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans and am really happy to see the Twins finally getting a baseball only stadium of their own. It's been a long time coming - what, 46-47 years?

As for the K, the field and surroundings are among the finest in all of sports. The concourses not so much. Hopefully those improvements will be made. Frankly, they should raze Arrowhead (now that it's not going to be covered), build a kick ass football facility downtown and use the land where Arrowhead now stands as the site of a Ballpark Village development which would create a year round residential and commercial district for the HST Sports Complex.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans and am really happy to see the Twins finally getting a baseball only stadium of their own. It's been a long time coming - what, 46-47 years?

As for the K, the field and surroundings are among the finest in all of sports. The concourses not so much. Hopefully those improvements will be made. Frankly, they should raze Arrowhead (now that it's not going to be covered), build a kick ass football facility downtown and use the land where Arrowhead now stands as the site of a Ballpark Village development which would create a year round residential and commercial district for the HST Sports Complex.

Well thanks to the moron voters of Jackson Country, Missouri that is not going to happen.

The Chiefs (Thiefs), will spend the money to do upgrades that will not really effect most fans. The wider concourses on both stadiums will happen.

The local leaders screwed up Royally (pun intended) on this. the Ballpark should have gone downtown like most of us would like to have seen. It would help make Downtown the preimier spot to be. along with the Sprint Center.

Build a new Retractable Roof football stadium where The K stood and raze Arrowhead. More room for Tailgating.

But alas, we put another band-aid on things. We see how well that worked with Kemper Arena. They spent all that money then replaced it 10 years later.

D-Oh!

I really like the 60's feel that they put into the exterior design.

-The slit windows at irregular places in the brick

-The angular glass cantilevered areas

-The not-vertical walls with irregular large block

-The design of the shade and its supports at the top

They all have the feel of the jet-age airport architecture from the time period the Twins came to Minnesota in the early 60's. Plus, it looks like there are great views from everywhere in the stadium.

That looks real nice. Athough, I wish they'd put a roof on it.

There are alot of new stadiums opeining on the next 3 years.

08-Washington

09-Mets, Yankees

10-Twins

With a few more possibilities in Oakland and Florida

saBS.png

While a roof would have been nice, the extra $100-150 million for a roof wasn't there (from the state, or from the Twins who are putting up $130 million plus the difference between the county's costs and the land owners demands for the property). At this point, the building has been designed with no roof, and no future plans for a roof. Get over it.

Moose

Very nice looking. I would echo EatSleepJeep's comments about it having a 60s/Airport vibe.

The freestanding seating pavilion in left field reminds me of the left field seating at Metropolitan Stadium. Assuming that was intentional, it is a nice touch. Throw in the light blue (IIRC) path from the dugouts that circled the home plate dirt, and we're good to go.

met_day580x398.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

While a roof would have been nice, the extra $100-150 million for a roof wasn't there (from the state, or from the Twins who are putting up $130 million plus the difference between the county's costs and the land owners demands for the property). At this point, the building has been designed with no roof, and no future plans for a roof. Get over it.

Moose

I don't really have a problem with them saving the $100+ million into it but you fans are going to suffer up until it gets warm.

saBS.png

Awesome. It's not even built yet and it already looks dated.

I think it's retro where it can be but modern where it matters. Modern is only good as long as tastes don't change which they inevitably do(see: MetroDome). By not going any farther back in their inspiration than the period the Twins came on the scene, I think they're paying homage to just the right amount of nostalgia.

The preliminary dimensions for Minnesota's new ballpark are 339' to Left; 377' to LF Power Alley; 404' to Center; 367' to RF Power Alley; and 328' to Right. The outfield walls are 8' from the left field foul pole to right center field and 23' from right center field to right field foul pole.

Why not move the left field wall out 4', move the center field wall out 4", and move the right field wall in 1' and preserve the exact dimensions that every Twins fan knows by heart?

Seriously. If you're going to come that close, then just make it match the old field.

Archived