150 players to wear #42

HatManTC

so as we know its The 60th anniversy of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in the MLB. so in honor of Robinson, the MLB started to hand out premission for players to wear #42. the Dodger, Pirates, Philles , Cardinals and Astros entire team will wear the #. my question to you is. should entire teams be allowed to wear this or just select few. say team captians, players voted by other players? or who ever wants to wear it should be able to wear it? I think only a select few should be able to wear it. it gives it more meaning that way. or should it only be worn in the form of a patch? this way everyone can reconize it but still honor the retired number.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Its getting a tad ridiculous maybe have all teams wear it and even it out, but having pockets of players on some teams and complete teams wearing it is a bit strange.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the whole thing has gone way overboard. A patch would have been sufficient enough. If one player per team wanted to wear the number as a tribute, okay. But whole teams? Overkill. Especially for a 60th anniversary. What's so special about 60 anyway?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I maybe have a different train of thought than the rest of you, but I really think its a good idea. I think what Jackie did was one of the hardest and most important things anyone's ever done not only in sports but in America. It's honoring greatness.

Jersey numbers aren't nearly as crucial to baseball as they are in other sports. I can deal with it for one day.

I beg to differ, I'll use the Yankees for my response. Is there a more haloed set of numbers in baseball than the single digits for the Yankees? I think not.

Also, numbers actually meant something in baseball when they were utilized, leadoff man took #1, second man took #2 and so on.

Sorry, but in order for me to take your comment seriously, you're going to have to prove how numbers are more significant in other sports than in baseball.

Sorry, but in order for me to take your comment seriously, you're going to have to prove how numbers are more significant in other sports than in baseball.

1) In football numbers are important. They tell referees who is eligible to do what.

2) In basketball, numbers make it easier to call fouls.

Most pro sports don't need numbers. Amateur/kids sports do. You could easily keep score with just the players name. I've hear close ups of NBA refs, and they sometimes say "Foul on Jordan".

But, if you think about it, baseball players should wear 1-9 only.

6-4-3 double play has a meaning.

I'm just rambling...

Another ramble. This 42 thing seems a little trite. Retiring #42 also seems drastic. I think they could do something more honorable. Something can't be so special that it can never be used again. Imagine if America said, you know what? George Washington is so amazing, that no American can use the name George or last name of Washington ever again?

What if, every team decided that, every year, they would make their best rookie wear #42? It would make Jackie's legacy more memorable. And fans would know that 42 is always the most promising rookie.

Or, if you want to wear 42, it has to be red on the jersey, like Jackie's. So, you could be 42 on the A's. But you would have a cool red number. Kids would go to the ballpark and wonder. They'd ask their Dads: "Why does that guy have a red 42?" Father: "Because there was this great ballplayer who played in a time when non-whites weren't allowed to play. He experience was hell, but he proved that he was one of the best players of all time. If you want to wear 42, you have to wear it how he did. That red 42 sticks out as much as he did."

If I had known it would come to this, I'd rather see everybody in the leagues wear a Jackie Robinson 60 Years patch on the 15th. Having some players (or all 25) wear 42 is kind of a mess to me. It's important to everybody. Either have all 750 players recognize his contributions or have none of them do it, but don't cherry-pick who gets to wear 42, especially in cases where 42 is already retired.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Retiring #42 throughout MLB was a bad idea, but this is actually a good one. It's another tribute to Jackie Robinson, while at the same time its a novelty for the players of today. Uniform numbers in baseball aren't nearly as important as they were back when the idea was devised, and its only for a day, so why not do it?

And Prov, I like the idea that #42 has to be red on the jersey except for one thing - it wouldn't stick out at all on the Reds. :)

nav-logo.png

I liked the idea of one player on each team being selected to wear the number 42, as somewhat of an award to that player for good character etc. as well as a tribute to Robinson. I just think that an entire team wearing 42 is a bit over the top. Plus its gonna suck for the fans sitting in the cheap seats in the outfield, its hard to read names from way out there.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I liked the idea of one player on each team being selected to wear the number 42, as somewhat of an award to that player for good character etc. as well as a tribute to Robinson. I just think that an entire team wearing 42 is a bit over the top. Plus its gonna suck for the fans sitting in the cheap seats in the outfield, its hard to read names from way out there.

This was my earlier idea. have a JAckie Robinson Award for service, etc and that player gets to wear 42 on April 15th. One player per team or one player per league, or something. This is getting out of control.

I also think the idea of having everyone on the same team wearing the same number is idiotic, a patch with the number 42 is enough of an honor or rememberance.

I still think it was dumb to make the whole league retire the number (I think the same thing about the NHL retiring Gretzky's number as well).

However I hope what you wrote is a joke.....

Having the best rookie each year wear 42?

Having any number 42 be in RED font no matter what the rest of the team color scheme is?

Those ideas almost seem like your poking fun at the meaning more than honoring it.

Here's an idea.... If we want to really make this a retro promotion we can make just the black players in the Major Leagues wear the number 42 and only White people can attend the games that day and we all have to yell racially charged and insensitive insults at them. Oh wait I'm American Indian so I probably wouldn't be allowed to attend either..... Now obviously that's a ridiculous statement and will never happen, but it almost seems like the Major Leagues is trying so hard to show how far they have come regarding racism that they are over-compensating.

Sew a pactch on the uniforms, show a nice montage on the Jumbotrons before the first pitch and move on to the next celebration.

Here's an idea.... If we want to really make this a retro promotion we can make just the black players in the Major Leagues wear the number 42 and only White people can attend the games that day and we all have to yell racially charged and insensitive insults at them. Oh wait I'm American Indian so I probably wouldn't be allowed to attend either...

:rolleyes:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, I don't mind it - if only because some people will see the game, ask why everyone's wearing No. 42 and learn a history lesson. That's worth it, especially given the radio- and Rutgers-related events of the past week.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Bruce Sutter's number 42 is retired for the Cardinals, personally I don't like how they are wearing a number of a former Cardinal who has his number retired, while non of the others get worn. However, I think it is a great way to remember Robinson.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Bruce Sutter's number 42 is retired for the Cardinals, personally I don't like how they are wearing a number of a former Cardinal who has his number retired, while non of the others get worn. However, I think it is a great way to remember Robinson.

I like Bruce Sutter as much as the next Cardinals fan, but I hardly think he can be mentioned in the same company with Jackie Robinson.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Oh wait I'm American Indian so I probably wouldn't be allowed to attend either.....

Louis Sockalexis is on the line for you on the courtesy phone...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived