Central Florida To Get New Logos

meetthemets

UCF Unveils "The Knights Are Coming Home" Campaign

The UCF Knights make their long-awaited return on June 14, 2007.

April 12, 2007

Orlando, Fla. (www.ucfathletics.com) - In celebration of several landmark events scheduled throughout the 2007-08 academic year, the school's 38th season of intercollegiate athletics, the UCF Athletics Association is embarking on a summer-long campaign entitled, "The Knights Are Coming Home."

"No question, that this is a great time to be a UCF Knight," said Keith Tribble, UCF's Director of Athletics and Executive Vice President. "I can't remember another single semester anywhere that this many chapters are going to be written in a school's athletics history."

The first event, scheduled for Thursday, June 14, will be the introduction of the new UCF Knights logo at an unveiling at the Barnes & Noble in the heart of campus.

Those in attendance will be the first to view the initial shipment of merchandise and apparel that display the new emblems of the UCF Knights. Items will go on-sale to the public the very next day, Friday, June 15.

"We are now entering into one of the most exciting periods in UCF Athletics history," added Tribble. "The opening of Bright House Networks Stadium and the Convocation Center in the fall will redefine the way the UCF campus is viewed, not only within our community, but throughout the country.

"The new logo and font will allow us to create a consistent and distinct look within our varsity athletics program that will positively reflect the UCF Knights brand nationally."

To assist in finding a design partner, the UCFAA identified Rickabaugh Graphics to lead the effort to create the new updated images for UCF Athletics.

For over 20 years Rickabaugh Graphics has been creating award-winning logo design for numerous Fortune 500 companies including Hasbro Toys, Coca-Cola, Toyota, MGM and Clorox. In this time they have become the leading collegiate branding firm and their clients have included the Big East Conference, the Ohio State University, the University of Wisconsin, Seton Hall University, Vanderbilt University, North Carolina State, Baylor, Texas A&M University and others.

UCF Athletics will post feature stories weekly via the UCFAthletics.com website throughout April and May that will detail the history and formative days of the UCF Knights name, logos and mascot. A special collection of images and photos that date throughout the past four decades have been requisitioned through University Archives and will also be on display through the website.

Not to hijack this thread, therefore this is my last post on this. Seriously, there was media coverage about the possibility of a name change. When the Golden Knights Arena opened, I remember reading the Orlando Sentinal and even the St. Pete Times about a desire from the student body to change the name. At that time, USF (South Florida) was officially the "Golden Brahmas" in the early to mis-80's, as opposed to the more familiar "Bulls". The former name was even on the floor of the SunDome for years.

It was a sports radio topic for about 36 hours, then dies down. It never took place, so it is now not that important.

From TESS, registered the first week of April:

ucfknights2.jpgucfknights.jpg

And the use of Copperplate justifies what now?

*EDIT: yeah, that do look like it'd be a good logo for UCF's baseball squad...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

They are also dropping the "Golden" moniker. That is what is the bigger news locally. I remember the year students wanted to change the name to the Sharks (1988).

There are sharks in Orlando?

There are Knights in Orlando?

Simple - I would like to see the color version before pass sentence.

The logo looks clean - not a fan of the font but still not bad.

I agree it's a bit from the cookiecutter - but still simple and nice, even in the black & white format.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

They are also dropping the "Golden" moniker. That is what is the bigger news locally. I remember the year students wanted to change the name to the Sharks (1988).

There are sharks in Orlando?

There are Knights in Orlando?

Yup, there are Penguins in Tampa too.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Yikes...I think they completely dropped the ball on these logos. If I were a UCF student or alum I'd be extremely disappointed with these efforts. It's a complete lateral move IMO.

How do these things usually work, is there a chance that they will release others by their target date, or are all logos usually submitted at the same time to the patent and trademark office?

From TESS, registered the first week of April:

ucfknights2.jpgucfknights.jpg

By-the-numbers. Wholly unimpressive and completely forgettable. Cookiecutter.

Wake me when SOME DESIGN firm grows some balls and does something NEW. This is just worse than bad, it's BORING.

I disagree.

May be boring: ucfknights2.jpg

But it's better than

Bad: niflcocandoos.gif, niflftmtarpons.gif

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived