Pirates in Ketchup Red

hormone

The Pirates broke out the ketchups tonight, but they have the regular black hats on. Pics to come shortly. (I know it's worthless without them, but someone will add them). The numbers/name are illegible from far away.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look even worse in action. It is a small saving grace that they aren't wearing the horrid matching caps.

Five runs in the top of the first? Let's hope they give up five runs every inning this game. Then, before the next game they can have a ketchup jersey burning ritual followed by a ceremonial shooting of the ashes into space.

Ugly as advertised. And totally illegible from any reasonable distance.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just awful. I realize the Pirates have a long and vaunted tradition of horrible uniform choices, but this is definitely within that pantheon.

Why are the Pirates wearing red, anyway? What's wrong with classic black and yellow?

Maybe they wanted to, I don't know, sell more product?

A black alternate with yellow script and (maybe) white outlines would have accomplished the same result without pissing all over the team's identity.

A black alternate with yellow script and (maybe) white outlines would have accomplished the same result without pissing all over the team's identity.

For instance:

PIT_alt.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For instance:

PIT_alt.jpg

Lose the red piping around the arms and you have one perfect Pirates alternate.

Having given the remote a workout between this game and the Sharks playoff game, its not so much the design of the uniform that is bad but in how it is coloroed. Face it, its a red version of thier white home uniform, the latter of which is often regarded as one of baseball's best looks. That being said, the red vest looks bad, and not just for this team either. It would look bad for any team, even one with red as a prominent color in thier scheme.

I once thought that colored vests with contrasting sleeves would look good, and am even guilty of making concepts featuring such an idea. However between these and the Rockies black vests (purple or black sleeves, it doesnt matter either look is a bad look), its apparent that colored vests do not work. I even think the proposed Blue Jays set several years back featurning the royal vests with light blue sleeves would have been villified here just as much.

It truly is something that looks better in concept form than it does in action.

That jersey combined with Ronny Paulino's catcher gear was 100% Ronald McDonald

The jerseys also showed through the pants on some guys. As in, you could see the outline of the pockets.

Failure on every level. What was wrong with their most recent black alts? Those didn't bother me at all.

1zgyd8w.jpg

For instance:

PIT_alt.jpg

That jersey wouldn't work because they wouldn't let pitchers wear yellow sleeves, especially yellow long sleeves. It would make it harder for the batters to pick up the ball out of the pitcher's hand.

Archived