Pirates in Ketchup Red

hormone

That jersey wouldn't work because they wouldn't let pitchers wear yellow sleeves, especially yellow long sleeves. It would make it harder for the batters to pick up the ball out of the pitcher's hand.

What if a pitcher, wearing a regular, non-vest jersey, didn't wear long sleeves or medium-length-sleeves? What if the batter could only see the bare arm of the pitcher?

I think that, by rule, the only undersleeve color that's illegal is white. If white sleeves were totally illegal, every team's home uniform would have to be a vest. I'll see if I can look up the exact wording of the rule.

I believe white is the only undershirt color not allowed by MLB. If you go back to the archives and look through old Padres or Pirates pictures, you'll find enough gold sleeves (on the jerseys and the undershirts) to disprove this point.

And why aren't the Pirates wearing the Aramis Ramirez-pictured set? 1. Pinstripes on road; 2. Gray cap; 3. Their regular road sets now trump that mess (made worse because of the additive effects of 1. and 2.)

Crikey, the blood-red monstrosities violate nearly every fundamental rule of design, good taste, common sense and common decency. Black and gold has looked great for almost 60 years (the Buccos wore red/navy/Carolina blue through World War II before adopting the civic colors), stick with it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pirates had good-looking sleeved jerseys as recently as 2000. I understand the desire for a look tied to history, but the Pirates' vests looked bad in the '50s and '60s, too. At least back then, they didn't occasionally look like a bunch of ketchup stains running around on the field.

Must respectfully disagree. The vests looked great then, and look great today.

0018a5aa.jpg

A sharp look. Timeless. I don't think many teams can pull off the sleeveless look, but with their classic, bold color scheme the Pirates are among them.

I can't stand those red vests, but I would love to see the Pirates go back to the 9 uniform combos they used in the Seventies. Why not, when there are 162 games in a season? Each combo could be worn 18-19 times a season! I believe these were their combos:

White/white

White/yellow

White/black

Yellow/white

Yellow/yellow

Yellow/black (won the World Series in this combo)

Black/white

Black/yellow (Holy Pittsburgh Steelers, Batman!)

Black/black

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

capt.c265d9c885bf4411876ee91cbd0bdd92.giants_pirates_baseball_pagp124.jpg

capt.468fceb89a9e4eeebd0bc72f6367934a.giants_pirates_baseball_pagp126.jpg

Some pics not involving Barry Bonds

Haven't busted this out in a while but...

That is crap.

HEY, KOOL-AID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me just say that this is the baseball equivolant of the Washington Wizards alternate. This is a bastardization of an already mediocre jersey.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

You know, the red pants idea might work here. It certainly worked for Cleveland and Philadelphia, not to mention the Cuban national team.

Wow. How did this gem slide by? How did it work for Cleveland or Philadelphia? Most people refer to the Indians from that era as blood clots or tomatos, and the Phillies, despite wore their set only ONCE (and it was NOT red, but considerably darker) and nearly everyone I know who remembers that time (I was but a tike, so I don't recall) laughs at how silly they looked.

I'm going to give Cuba a pass because I know little about baseball tradition in other countries. I think they look horrible, but that may just be the way things are there.

If a team were to break out red pants in this era, whoever thought of that idea should be immediately thrown in prison for 20 years to life, have his wiping hand cut off, and be banned from the NFL forever. Right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They need a yellow vest with a yellow hat. Maybe yellow pants, too...

8card.jpg

Pure awesomeness.

Seriously. I dug the bannana-Bucs look. Of course I also am a fan of the original Tampa Bay Bucs' uniforms as well. I guess it's that whole growing up in the 70's thing.

8card.jpg

Pure awesomeness.

Seriously. I dug the bannana-Bucs look. Of course I also am a fan of the original Tampa Bay Bucs' uniforms as well. I guess it's that whole growing up in the 70's thing.

Me too! I understand the purists want nothing but white at home and gray on the road, and for the most part I think that's fine. But with 162 games there's nothing wrong with the all-banana look 5-6 times a year.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

8card.jpg

Pure awesomeness.

Me too! I understand the purists want nothing but white at home and gray on the road, and for the most part I think that's fine. But with 162 games there's nothing wrong with the all-banana look 5-6 times a year.

Only if the bring back the hat that went with that uniform.

You know, the red pants idea might work here. It certainly worked for Cleveland and Philadelphia, not to mention the Cuban national team.

Wow. How did this gem slide by? How did it work for Cleveland or Philadelphia? Most people refer to the Indians from that era as blood clots or tomatos, and the Phillies, despite wore their set only ONCE (and it was NOT red, but considerably darker) and nearly everyone I know who remembers that time (I was but a tike, so I don't recall) laughs at how silly they looked.

I'm going to give Cuba a pass because I know little about baseball tradition in other countries. I think they look horrible, but that may just be the way things are there.

If a team were to break out red pants in this era, whoever thought of that idea should be immediately thrown in prison for 20 years to life, have his wiping hand cut off, and be banned from the NFL forever. Right?

Just a side note, if it didn't work, then how come every time they do one of those salutes to the Phils of the 70s, that we always see that jersey come back? It is a classic!

LvZYtbZ.png

Just a side note, if it didn't work, then how come every time they do one of those salutes to the Phils of the 70s, that we always see that jersey come back? It is a classic!

Show me one instance of that jersey "coming back." It hasn't, and won't. You're waching different salutes (salutations? IDK) than I've ever seen...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Show me one instance of that jersey "coming back." It hasn't, and won't. You're waching different salutes (salutations? IDK) than I've ever seen...
Everytime they do that salute to the 70s, every former member that comes out wears the typical white pinstriped old-school Phillies jersey -- except for Larry Christenson -- who always wears the burgundy one.

LvZYtbZ.png

Can you show me evidence of this? "Everytime" is just wrong, because then I would have seen it. I've never seen the team recognize those uniforms. Honestly, if not for M&N and one 8x10 photograph, I'd never even have known that those things existed.

8card.jpg

Pure awesomeness.

Only if the bring back the hat that went with that uniform.

Only if they would bring back the talent that wore that uniform. :P

it would look much better if they wore the caps that were supposed to go wit it (the ones with the red bills)

I feel that would be like, well, polishing a turd. Trying to make garbage look nice. :P

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived